Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104523 times)

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2011, 04:10:33 PM »

You may have already noticed it, but the Prince was biting satire. This guy gives some context http://www.idehist.uu.se/distans/ilmh/Ren/flor-mach-mattingly.htm

Others disargee with that alternate character interpretation....
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #561 on: January 18, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »

You may have already noticed it, but the Prince was biting satire. This guy gives some context http://www.idehist.uu.se/distans/ilmh/Ren/flor-mach-mattingly.htm

Others disargee with that alternate character interpretation....
It's hard to tell - as we all know, it can be difficult to detect sarcasm across a written medium, much less across centuries. I can definitely see parallels to a number of modern comedians who take shots at politics in very similar ways, although his tone is more serious than that.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #562 on: January 27, 2011, 02:39:14 AM »
got a nook for my bday, so im stepping up the reading for fun..

i found the latest bit to the true blood books, they are crap, but i like knowing what the show is ignoring.

im mostly done with the first dresden book, storm font.. not bad, might hit book 2 next, might not..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #563 on: January 27, 2011, 02:44:31 AM »

i found the latest bit to the true blood books, they are crap, but i like knowing what the show is ignoring.

im mostly done with the first dresden book, storm font.. not bad, might hit book 2 next, might not..

The Dresden books get quadratically better up to book 4 & 5, and then merely scale linearly  :D I envy new readers.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #564 on: January 27, 2011, 02:46:50 AM »

The Dresden books get quadratically better up to book 4 & 5, and then merely scale linearly  :D I envy new readers.
They do have to work their way through up to Summer Knight first I guess. The earlier books are great setup for later issues.

Goddamned Masquerade still shows up.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #565 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:54 AM »

They do have to work their way through up to Summer Knight first I guess. The earlier books are great setup for later issues.

Goddamned Masquerade still shows up.

Fortunately I started out with Summers Knight, but I know I would have kept with the series even if I started chronologically.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #566 on: January 27, 2011, 03:06:06 AM »
I figure Jim Butcher positively delights in tormenting Harry.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #567 on: January 27, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »
I hear Changes twists the knife even more, but I have yet to read it.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #568 on: January 28, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »
You ain't seen nuthin yet.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #569 on: January 28, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »
You ain't seen nuthin yet.

:o  :bigeye

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #570 on: January 28, 2011, 01:49:32 PM »
Can someone post the reading order of the books please, I plan to make a trip to the library soon
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #571 on: January 28, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »
wiki // dresden files
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #572 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »
Ch'ae Man-Sik's Peace Under Heaven.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2011, 02:29:23 AM »
done reading the frist two books of Dresden,along with the frist book dealing snookie stackhouse not gonna read the rest of that series,i'm also trying to read the frist book in Kim harrison's Rachel morgan series.

I wanna try to read all of the animorph series but i don't know if my library has all 54 or 56 of them,since the Y PB is put on racks..

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
Struggling to go through Tony Blair's A journey. It is a tedious project, but I am determined to see what the dork had to say. On top of that, Shelley's Frankenstein is under my scrutiny.

Handy Links

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #575 on: February 23, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »
Some short stories by Phillip K. Dick.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Trog

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Trog's Head
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:45 PM »
Reading Dune by Frank Herbert for the first time. Don't know why I put off reading this for so long.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #577 on: March 07, 2011, 12:21:42 AM »
Reading Dune by Frank Herbert for the first time. Don't know why I put off reading this for so long.

Herbert's a little slow at the start, but once you start getting drawn in, it's impossible to put down. It's just the lengthy introduction and the steady progression of politics that turns most people off.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Anyways, I'm rereading my way through the A Song of Ice and Fire books in preparation for Dancing with Dragons.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Trog

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Trog's Head
« Reply #578 on: March 07, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »

Herbert's a little slow at the start, but once you start getting drawn in, it's impossible to put down. It's just the lengthy introduction and the steady progression of politics that turns most people off.
Actually the names and organizations are the things that are hard to fathom at first. But something you quickly pick up. And there isn't a great amount of descriptive characterization to allow you to visualize the more servant-like characters mentioned in your head. Nothing that immediately conjures an image in your head that you can use to keep the character straight at first. Eventually, yes, you can make out the differences between various minor officers but many times even when you can you still don't have a good picture in your head of who they are. Or at least I haven't and I'm only 1/3 of the way through it. It's good so far though. I'm getting drawn in.

Avehn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #579 on: March 07, 2011, 01:56:12 AM »
I just finished, as in about an hour ago, the second kingkiller chronicle 'The Wise Man's Fear' by Patrick Rothfuss, fantastic, long book, i've barely been able to put it down the past 3 days.