Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104534 times)

El Magnifeco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #480 on: February 07, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
Just finished the Twilight series, they were actually pretty good.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: February 08, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

It's really dry in the beginning but it gets much better once you get about a 1/3 into it.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #482 on: February 11, 2010, 12:12:33 AM »
Just finished "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" by John Ringo.  It's the fourth book in his "Council War" series.  Like most of Ringo's stuff, it's very interesting and well paced, but the guy just has real issues with sexual aggression.  Yes, in a total collapse of society and civilization, people will get raped.  Doesn't mean I want to read multiple pages of graphic detail, and then multiple books wherein the hero has to cope with his own suppressed desire to join in.  But that's Ringo for you.

That said, it's a pretty interesting take on the collapse of an advanced technological society in a very short time.  The good guys are generally all good, and the bad guys are either VERY bad or subject to redemption by the good guys.  There's some humor (including an AI built into a mini-lop rabbit named Bun-Bun...), some interesting tactical situations, and all in all it's a decent story, but it's got an edge to it that I didn't care for.  It's certainly better than the sadomasochistic Ghost/Kildar saga, of which I read half of the first book and then ran screaming, but it's not as good as his collaborative works like the "March Upcountry" series he did with Weber or the Posleen War stuff, nor is it as good as "The Last Centurion".

If you like gritty military sci-fi, or post-apocalyptic sci-fi, it's worth a read.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #483 on: February 11, 2010, 01:20:02 AM »
Orson scott card's Hidden Empire, second book in his Empire series... I won't tell you enough to spoil anything, but go buy it today!!!
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #484 on: February 22, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
Finishing up "Last Arguement of Kings", the third and final book in The First Law series, Joe Abercrombie's breakout publication.

Its fucking awesome.

Main character is a Frenzied Bezerker.  Fear the Bloody-Nine.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #485 on: February 22, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

The first book I've ever read that was so complex in its descriptions that I have to stop at times and re-read sentances just to figure out what he's trying to say.

I find it refreshing, especially after certain fantasy novels I've read over the years...
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: February 22, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
I just picked up and blazed through Don't Split the Party, book 4 of Order of the Stick. The bonus strips in this one were some of my favorite.
Going to start on New Spring (Wheel of Time prequel) one of there days. I've read all twelve of the main series but never got around to reading this.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #487 on: February 26, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »
Just finished "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.  Very interesting.  This is the first pure Gaiman book I've read, the only previous experience being "Good Omens" which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett.

American Gods is predictable, and somewhat cliched, but what are gods if not cliches?  Altogether a pretty good book.  Enjoyable.  Not epic, not world-shattering, but enjoyable.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2010, 01:06:51 AM »
Not really reading, but teaching Jabberwocky to my English students.  :D
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #489 on: March 27, 2010, 04:31:44 AM »
Just starting in on re-reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Most of the way through The Gathering Storm by "Robert Jordan."

Recently finished up The Savage Garden by Mark Mills (art history murder mystery), Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan, The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #490 on: March 29, 2010, 02:10:24 AM »
Just finished Book 11 of "The Walking Dead".  Very good graphic novels, but very dark and grim.  I had to go listen to some Jimmy Buffett to balance the Force, so to speak.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #491 on: March 29, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
Gardens of the Moon, the first book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

The first book I've ever read that was so complex in its descriptions that I have to stop at times and re-read sentances just to figure out what he's trying to say.

I find it refreshing, especially after certain fantasy novels I've read over the years...
It only gets better from there. ^^

I haven't posted in this thread in ages so I won't list everything, but among the books I've read the Black Company series by Glen Cook stands out. Awesome.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #492 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:05 AM »
"A Mighty Fortress", by David Weber.  Book 4 of the Safehold series.

Slow beginning, but it's starting to speed up nicely.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #493 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »
Spook Country by William Gibson
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

El Magnifeco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #494 on: May 06, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #495 on: May 06, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
Spook Country by William Gibson

I read it and still can't figure out if I liked it or not.

The Gormenghast trilogy. 
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #496 on: May 06, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
im in a Lit class this quarter..

so far we covered

Tartuffe
Phaedra
Candide
Confessions (rousseau)
The world is too much with us
Dejection
On first looking into chapmans homer
ode on a grecian urn
Ulysses
In memorian
My last Duchess
Song of myself

we have ibsend, tolstoy, kafka and camus left..

at least i like the russian novellas... the romantics not so much..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #497 on: May 08, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Just starting The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss because Penny Arcade told me to a while back and I have had a few family members tell me that it is "teh be5t b00k ev4R!" We shall see. I am optimistic.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: May 09, 2010, 01:28:38 AM »
Just starting The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss because Penny Arcade told me to a while back and I have had a few family members tell me that it is "teh be5t b00k ev4R!" We shall see. I am optimistic.

I enjoyed this book a whole lot. I wouldn't call it "ZOGM BEST EVAR!" but he subverts a lot of cliches and wallows in others. Wish he'd finish the fskcing sequel.

Edit: May as well. I'm currently reading The Last Unicron Unicorn, though very slowly (no fault to the book, just haven't been reading much lately).

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #499 on: May 09, 2010, 05:23:16 PM »
I just finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I'm still carrying it around, though, because that way I have a rebuttal to anyone I see carrying a Twilight book. ;)