Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104591 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #460 on: November 25, 2009, 03:04:49 PM »
Vancian version of Hastur Hastur Hastu, that'd be funny.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:17:58 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #461 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
Anita Blake Series: Cerulean Butterfly.

Yes, I am hooked on this series.  :D

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #462 on: December 02, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
Tess of the d'Urbervilles.  In all honesty, I think Tess is a silly git and I don't feel sorry for her.  Although I find the book more fascinating in a sense of trying to divine what Hardy believes than the actual story at hand.  I just don't like the main character, fucking mary sue.

EDIT:  Got to the end. 

[spoiler]She never became an hero.  I am disappointed.  Her death only added to the "Oh, I'm so pretty and everyone is so mean to me blah blah blah.  If you weren't such a dumbass, Tess, your life would suck significantly less.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:14:09 PM by CountArioch »
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
hardy is one of my top 5 fav authors,

have not read tess, but jude is a+++
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #464 on: December 09, 2009, 05:41:56 AM »
Currently reading the Discworld books. Just finished Men at Arms today, started Mort, and can't wait till I have money again so I can track down more City Watch books.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #465 on: December 09, 2009, 01:48:23 PM »
Currently reading the Discworld books. Just finished Men at Arms today, started Mort, and can't wait till I have money again so I can track down more City Watch books.

I recommend Night Watch.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #466 on: December 09, 2009, 01:57:20 PM »
But...Thud!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #467 on: December 09, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
That too.
[spoiler]Where's my cow?[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #468 on: December 09, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
THIS IS NOT MY COW!
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Ruam

• Bi-Curious George
  • First-class monotremancer
    • Email
« Reply #469 on: December 09, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
Is that my cow? It goes "buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp!". It is Foul ol' Ron. That is not my cow.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #470 on: December 10, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »

I recommend Night Watch.

I second that.  Plus, Going Postal is a good read.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #471 on: January 02, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »
Just finished "Term Limits", by Vince Flynn.  Wow.  I finally found a book too right-wing even for me.  This is like a Glenn Beck wet dream.  I may despise the current crop of politicians and their bullshit, but even I don't think whacking four of them to be the way to fix it. 

I also picked up "War Baby!  The US Caliber .30 Carbine" by Larry Ruth, and "Desperate Measures - Last-Ditch Weapons of the Nazi Volkssturm" by W. Darrin Weaver.  Both are interesting looks into interesting weapons made in interesting times.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #472 on: January 02, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »
I'm about halfway through The Eye of the World; first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #473 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:11 AM »
The Hound of the Baskervilles!
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2010, 10:04:32 PM »
Got "The Sten Machine Carbine" by Peter Laidler.  Very interesting stuff, especially about the lesser-known experimental and resistance-made STENs.

Also reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.  Refreshing, it's like King finally got his head out of his ass after Cell and the last Dark Tower book, and started writing like Stephen Fucking King again.  A must-read for fans so far.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »
Also reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King.  Refreshing, it's like King finally got his head out of his ass after Cell and the last Dark Tower book, and started writing like Stephen Fucking King again.  A must-read for fans so far.

I heard exactly the opposite actually.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2010, 09:45:13 AM »

I heard exactly the opposite actually.

It lacks a lot of the supernatural element, at least at first, but it more than makes up for that with plain old human evil.  Having read pretty much every King novel and short story ever published, I'd put this one in the upper half at least.  It's no IT, but it's a far cry from From A Buick 8.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #477 on: January 23, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I heard it from my mother, who has also read pretty much every King novel and short story ever published.   :P She said that it was worth reading once because it was King, but not worth buying or owning at all.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #478 on: January 23, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
Got "The Sten Machine Carbine" by Peter Laidler.  Very interesting stuff, especially about the lesser-known experimental and resistance-made STENs.

I loved The Dark Tower (Book 7 and the series), but I really couldn't stand Cell. I haven't read everything he's written, but since I started reading him two years ago his work has comprised a good 75% of the material I do read.
As for the other 25%, I'm almost finished with The Gathering Storm.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2010, 04:02:04 AM »
I finished Under the Dome.  Very interesting.  I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, but King often intentionally leaves endings unsatisfying, and I can live with it.