Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104611 times)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:53 PM »
if any book series could come close to hitchhikers... dirk does it.

the rain god ftw.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »
Reading Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes  by Stephen Jay Gould.  It's a collection of his essays on evolutionary theory and natural history.  An excellent read, Gould makes even the most difficult concepts accessible and entertaining...I'd already torn through two previous collections of his essays, The Panda's Thumb and Ever Since Darwin

Finished reading the first five Earthsea books and got into a car accident on my way to buy the sixth, so I'll be holding off on that one for a little bit.  :mad

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #342 on: June 17, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »
Reading wikipedia's entries on Hindu Mythology...
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2009, 12:28:07 AM »
The Dune Series.

Finished Dune about a week and half ago, now I'm in the middle of Dune Messiah.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »
Empowered volume 5.

Damn I luv this comic.  I know in the beginning it seems all fan-serviey but the ongoing storylines suckered me in.

Can't wait for the inevitable showdown with Willy Pete
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 05:47:30 AM by bhu »

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #345 on: June 30, 2009, 01:51:40 AM »
Weird War II:  Blood on the Rhine

It's d20 + WWII + Wehrwolves (yes, I spelled that correctly for the game :) ).  What's not to like?

Shewolf

« Reply #346 on: June 30, 2009, 02:01:25 AM »

It's d20 + WWII + Wehrwolves (yes, I spelled that correctly for the game :) ).  What's not to like?

Sounds interesting!

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #347 on: June 30, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »

Sounds interesting!

Unfortunately, it's a few years out of print, and the later sourcebooks are horribly error-riddled. But the core book and the first few supplements (Afrika Korpse, Hell Freezes Over, Hell in the Hedgerows) are excellent.  I'm prepping a one-off game for my secondary gaming group using some house-rules I developed and have been wanting to try for some time.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: July 09, 2009, 01:44:53 PM »
I was finally able to re-start and then finish my Terry Pratchet book: Reaper Man. I read it in like, the span of 3 days. God, I love vacations. Anyway, the book was hilarious. Things happened at such a fast pace that my brain felt like it was on crack. But I was giggling every other page. And the ending...[spoiler]WAS SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!!!![/spoiler]

I'm halfway through a book that my sister gave me: The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. According to the Washington Post, this book, "Confirms McKinley as an important writer of modern heroic fantasy, a genre whose giants include C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Lloyd Alexander."

I say the Washington Post is full of crap. I've read the first two authors, and their works were amazing. This book? Not so much. But that's just my opinion. Perhaps it's just the writing style. I feel like the author has dumbed down the text so that a 6 year old could read the story. And the story isn't all that captivating, IMO. Things just happen too easily. There's hardly any planning involved, and then BAM! Mission accomplished. Who knows, maybe I'll like the ending.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #349 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
I was finally able to re-start and then finish my Terry Pratchet book: Reaper Man. I read it in like, the span of 3 days. God, I love vacations. Anyway, the book was hilarious. Things happened at such a fast pace that my brain felt like it was on crack. But I was giggling every other page. And the ending...[spoiler]WAS SO CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!!!![/spoiler]

I love Discworld...Well, pretty much anything by Terry Pratchett, really.

On topic: I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle, so now I'm going to move on to...well, I don't know. Bookstore trip? I think so!

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »
Just finished up the mistborn trilogy this week, I do have a question though, does it still count as unplugged snobbery if I read it on a kindle?(that is also probably the reason I finished the trilogy in a week...new tech can do some weird things to a man/boy whatever I'm considered)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2009, 01:19:43 AM »
On topic: I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five and Cat's Cradle, so now I'm going to move on to...well, I don't know. Bookstore trip? I think so!

Absolutely loved Slaughterhouse Five.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »
Children of Dune.

This story keeps getting more and more convulted and twisted. Feints within feints within feints.

Shewolf

« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:10 PM »
Finished reading Clan of the Cave Bear a little while ago, now I'm reading The Valley of Horses.  I like it so far, but that might just be because I've got this weird thing for the ice age.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2009, 09:52:55 PM »
Orson Scott Card, Maps in the Mirrors.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
Finished reading Clan of the Cave Bear a little while ago, now I'm reading The Valley of Horses.  I like it so far, but that might just be because I've got this weird thing for the ice age.

I liked those books as a teenage, then re-read them and discovered that they're full of sex and the main character comes up with every significant technological advancement of early man.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: July 13, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »

I liked those books as a teenage, then re-read them and discovered that they're full of sex and the main character comes up with every significant technological advancement of early man.

What kind of teenager could miss this... were you reading them in a closet?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: July 13, 2009, 06:26:49 PM »
I wasn't a sex crazed teenager, sue me.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Shewolf

« Reply #358 on: July 13, 2009, 07:18:05 PM »

Yeah, I remember my mom had those books, and I asked if I could read them and she flat-out told me no.  To be fair, I must've been like...11-12 (I read a lot of books).
And it does irritate me that she seems to come up with everything.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: July 13, 2009, 07:30:17 PM »

Yeah, I remember my mom had those books, and I asked if I could read them and she flat-out told me no.  To be fair, I must've been like...11-12 (I read a lot of books).
And it does irritate me that she seems to come up with everything.
:lmao :lmao :lmao