Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104562 times)

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2009, 01:01:02 AM »
I got it from the Library in my hometown, actually. They have a pretty decent collection of TPB Graphic novels and comic collections. I also got some elseworlds, some ultimate spiderman, and some ultimate x-men. Also, Marvel 1602 is really fucking good. I've read it before.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2009, 01:26:16 AM »
I can almost guarantee that my hometown library has no graphic novels whatsover.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
I am quite prone to abuse the library of Turku University. The library in question gets a copy of all magazines and books printed in Finland, so its collections are quite extensive.

Handy Links

ranlam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • "Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun!"
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »
The Prize- Daniel Yergin

Cheers,
ranlam

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #284 on: March 23, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »
Robert E. Howard - The Conquering Sword of Conan

It's a collection of Howard's later Conan stories:  The Servants of Bit-Yakin, Beyond the Black River, The Black Stranger, The Man-Eaters of Zamboula, and Red Nails.  All are unedited, uncut, and un-deCamped, as Howard intended them.  See also The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian and The Bloody Crown of Conan, the two earlier compilations that include such excellent pieces as The Queen of the Black Coast and The Tower of the Elephant.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
Reread Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny again. Still blown away by how far ahead of most sci-fi/fantasy authors he was during his time. Reminds me that all of the old guard is fading or gone at this point.
I love that book ! One of my favourites ever - I reread it every other year.
It was actually a bit hard on the first read but I like books that mature with rereadings... *points at the Dune cycle*

I read Butcher's Storm Front recently - not bad but not as good as I'd hoped. I hear he gets better along the way so I'll try a later novel in the Harrison series.
I'm rereading Pratchett's Night Watch - nice.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:11:49 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #286 on: March 25, 2009, 01:56:46 AM »
Currently reading Howl's Moving Castle

.. based on the movie or the other way around? - has anyone read 'confessions of an economic hitman'? what'd you think?
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »
Currently reading Howl's Moving Castle

.. based on the movie or the other way around? - has anyone read 'confessions of an economic hitman'? what'd you think?
The movie was based on the book. Very loosely.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Crossroads of Twilight (Book 10) by Robert Jordan
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:25 PM »
Terry Pratchett's: Reaper Man

I can't stop laughing.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »
The House of Many Ways-Diana Wynne Jones
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2009, 01:35:23 AM »
I just finished Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal", and am almost done with "Night Watch".  Very good stuff.  I've never read Pratchett before, other than Good Omens, and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2009, 01:54:47 AM »
I just finished Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal", and am almost done with "Night Watch".  Very good stuff.  I've never read Pratchett before, other than Good Omens, and I'm starting to see what all the fuss is about.
The man's a freaking genius.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2009, 02:36:48 AM »
Good Omens is barely a Pratchett work, allegedly.  Gaiman just wanted to use Pratchett's DEATH character.  Night Watch is preceded by several books, starting with Guards! Guards!, for the complete history of Vimes, Carrot, Colon and Nobby.

For my money, Interesting Times is the best book in the series, and is best when prefaced by The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.  A friend of mine has tried on more than one occasion to create a D&D iteration of Rincewind that doesn't just suck.  [/fanboi]
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »
A friend of mine has tried on more than one occasion to create a D&D iteration of Rincewind that doesn't just suck.  [/fanboi]
But sucking is the whole POINT of Rincewind!
Well, except at running away and the whole not dying thing.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
InnaBinder--I thought Pratchett and Gaiman collaborated on most of it? That's the impression I received from their writings in the book, anyway.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
InnaBinder--I thought Pratchett and Gaiman collaborated on most of it? That's the impression I received from their writings in the book, anyway.

I don't have 1st hand evidence either way, only anecdotal.  More anecdotes that I've seen and heard supported the version I put forth; that doesn't mean it's necessarily true, which is why I used "allegedly".
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2009, 04:23:55 AM »
Well, it carries the Prachett 'touch' and their styles are fairly evenly distributed in the book as far as I'm aware.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2009, 10:45:43 AM »
Well, it carries the Prachett 'touch' and their styles are fairly evenly distributed in the book as far as I'm aware.

You can (usually) tell which segments Pratchett wrote and which ones Gaiman wrote. Except towards the end, when things get a little confused. (In one of the afterwords, they mention that there was at least one passage which both of them swear they never wrote.)