Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104527 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »
quis coustodiet ipsos custodes?
Commander Vimes does.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »

Crescent City Rhapsody by Kathleen Ann Goonan. Interesting read about uses and abuses of nanotechnology. What Bruce Sterling tried for but failed I'd say.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2009, 02:36:19 AM »
I just finished Kushiel's Dart. I'm impressed with the amount of different shit that went on in that book. The ending made me go NO FUCKING WAY!!!! But that's a different story.

I haven't read the Kushiel series, but her Banewreaker and Godslayer books are some of the best fiction I've ever read.  I liked them so much that even though the plotlines listed on the back covers of the Kushiel books make me go 'meh.', I'm still tempted to read them just because the author is so skilled.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2009, 02:57:23 AM »
Finally started reading Stephen King's The Gunslinger (Dark Tower series) for the first time yesterday.  Lost track of time, and when I finally looked up, I had gone through half of the book in just a couple of hours. 
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2009, 12:59:34 AM »
I just finished Kushiel's Dart. I'm impressed with the amount of different shit that went on in that book. The ending made me go NO FUCKING WAY!!!! But that's a different story.

I haven't read the Kushiel series, but her Banewreaker and Godslayer books are some of the best fiction I've ever read.  I liked them so much that even though the plotlines listed on the back covers of the Kushiel books make me go 'meh.', I'm still tempted to read them just because the author is so skilled.

You have to get into them. The first hundred pages are seemingly meaningless-I'm sure if I read through the entire book again I'd get a whole lot more out of them now, but it's all just a bunch of name dropping and who's who. I found it boring. Then the sex came, and brought my attention quickly back to the story.  :D

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
Currently reading the Vampire Hunter D series, but I only have the first five and am already on book three.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »
Just finished Shadow of the Hedgemon.  I liked it, the kids from Battle School playing Risk with the world.  Now on to the next, Shadow Puppets.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2009, 09:40:20 PM »
just finished american gods, abit predictable but not bad.. sorta like dirk gently.. so points for that...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:36 AM »
I'm currently on book 5 of the Belisarius saga, by Eric Flint and David Drake.  I've read several of Flint's alt-history series (I thoroughly enjoyed the 1632 series, even if I think those the most un-racist West Virginians who ever lived, and his 1812 alt-hist was brilliant), and this one is of equal quality.  I wouldn't rank it up with Tolkein or Martin, but it's a great read and keeps my interest.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
Rereading Everville by Clive Barker.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
Grimm Fairytales
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »
I just finished re-reading Ender's Game and it was every bit as brilliant as I remembered. Shorter though, I recall it taking longer to read that two days.

I'm now continuing on in the Wheel of Time series...A Crown of Swords (Book 7).
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »
er, you have hit the wall... 5000 more pages of blah...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2009, 01:11:23 AM »
Just finished re-reading The Sword of Shannara.  Had that book since elementary school.  It no longer has either cover, and the edges of the pages are so worn that it looks like I found it in some dungeon somewhere.  :p
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2009, 02:53:59 AM »
I'm now continuing on in the Wheel of Time series...A Crown of Swords (Book 7).

My condolences. But to each his own, as well. I just ... that series had some good ideas. About enough for three really good books. He takes longer to make anything happen than Tolkien does finish what he's saying.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2009, 03:21:35 AM »
Yeah...if I recall correctly from my first attempt at this series this is about the part in the series that I started skimming forward to the parts with characters I actually found interesting.

Reading about one a month I should be done with Jordan's part of the series right on time, more or less, to pick up Sanderson's ending to it.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
Doing the same, though I've been having fun with skimming ahead on one character's story thread through the whole book, then going back and doing another's.
Like for example: Mat in White Tower->pwns Galad/Gawyn->gets clearance from Egwene and co.->gambles Tar Valon broke->escapes with Thom->assassins->fireworks->assassins->Andor->Palace->finds plot->Tear->The Rescue.
Then go on to the girls' thread, which is just as coherent.

I'd bet you could turn each book into 3-4 narratives. And it seems faster that way, somehow, when you aren't skipping between several points of view every couple of chapters. The whole "Perrin Goldeneyes of the Two Rivers" arc is practically it's own novel.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Graytigeress

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »
Kushiel's Scion by Jacqueline Carey

http://www.jacquelinecarey.com/books.htm

In me the tiger sniffs the rose and watches butterflies!

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »
Thats an awesome idea, veekie.  I think I'm gonna do that next time I read 'em.... which will probably be my 4th or 5th trip.

Speaking overly drawn out novels that make you want to kill yourself, has anyone ever attempted Tad Williams' "Otherland" series?  3500 pages, and I could not complete the last 500.  Seriously.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
I read the first seven Wheel of Time books.  I enjoyed the first book quite a bit, and even the next two were pretty good.  Four through Six were tedious.  Seven seemed to pick up a bit, but then I found other books to read.