Author Topic: McCain staffer slams Dungeons and Dragons players  (Read 16101 times)

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
McCain staffer slams Dungeons and Dragons players
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
Michael Goldfarb wrote:

"It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman's memory of war from the comfort of mom's basement, but most Americans have the humility and gratitude to respect and learn from the memories of men who suffered on behalf of others."

don't take my word for it. its still on his website. http://www.johnmccain.com/mccainreport/
Posted at 5:08 PM on 8/18/2008 by Michael Goldfarb
Smears the Left Can Fight For, 4th paragraph

PLEASE do not use this thread to slam Senator McCain (which will only get this thread closed, which it may be anyway). I am posting this to let other gamers know of the comment. I am offended enough to want an apology or retraction from the campaign, which will only happen if he gets enough complaints to realize that we pay attention and we vote.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:23:21 PM by Braithwaite »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: McCain staffer slams Dungeons and Dragons players
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »
they are abviously unaware of the number of gamers, and Igamers who are registered voters...

and

while i appreciate your request to not slam mccain in this thread... i may do it anyway...

not that i like obama, not after the telcom crap.

my formal position is that choosing the lesser evil is still choosing evil..

i just wish that the vietnamese, while beating the hell out of mccain, had left his spine in tack...

i dont just disparage him from a basement, but as a vet my self (10yrs), i say he is a coward and a traitor... the only way you survive year after year after year after year of pow inturnment is to talk, sing if you will... its just my opinion, i have no proof, and i claim no first hand knowledge... but the only reason i would let someone live is if they cooperated... the follow up of course being that he is now ok with torturing prisoners.. please someone can i at least vote for nixon or johnson hell, i prefer putin to mccain...

ok, it looks like i may have ranted abit, i apologize..

please dont close the thread because of my rant... i would just rather walk with a mclimp than with a mccain..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:27 PM »
Well, hopefully this will end less retardedly than the WotC version.  I don't get what D&D has to do with voting tendencies.  I mean, I guess the Jack Chick crowd hate on the D&Ders, but I'm thinking that he was just being a huge dick.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 10:57:43 PM »
Okay, where did that remark come from? The rest of the article isn't even related, it's like he simply threw this in as an aside. "Oh, by the way, you guys suck. Just thought you ought to know." Have we done something that merits this sort of comment? I thought not.

It's also a gross stereotype. I'd be willing to bet that there may be a bit of uproar over this.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:35:08 PM »
Who is this Michael character in the campaign? The office boy? :D

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:35:07 AM »
This is precisely what I hate most in humanity - judging a large group for no reason, just to be an asshole. Yeah, smooth move. Very smooth.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 12:43:26 AM »
I like politics: Everything is worth a kick in the balls, especially toward people unlikely to vote for you.

(Which is kinda stupid, as they are only less likely to vote for you after)

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 12:53:33 AM »
Fascinating.

Goldfarb is a typical Republican chickenhawk neo-con. He was a member of the Project for the New American Century, which was calling for an American invasion of Iraq back when Clinton was in charge.

Such an odd attack, though. Wonder why we drew such a comment.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 01:08:24 AM »
I love how McCain claims to be a Roosevelt Republican but subscribes to Neo-Conservative policies.

I want the old McCain back.

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:38 AM »
I love how McCain claims to be a Roosevelt Republican but subscribes to Neo-Conservative policies.

I want the old McCain back.
I want politics to DIAF.  Elections should really just be decided by a flip of a coin, 'cause most people are too stupid to have their vote count.

Talisman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Do not annoy the Dragon.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:47:17 AM »
 :lol :P
I'm not a vet, but my father fought in Vietnam, and two of my gaming buddies have served in the military.

And there was that one guy who joined the army rather than complete the campaign...he was a weird guy.
It should've been you, Bendo!

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 07:02:32 AM »
i think McCain is just bitter cause he played D&D for three hours...then was slain by an elf.  :P
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:03:35 AM »
i think McCain is just bitter cause he played D&D for three hours...then was slain by an elf.  :P

With a greataxe!

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »

No. Jack Chick was playing a Frenzied Berserker which "accidently" killed McCain's character. Chick was kicked out of the group by the DM, as it wasn't the first intra-party murder on his belt.
He swore vengeance against the whole D&D community.

McCain was scarred for life, so he looked for a more stable background. He got into politics, ready, deep in his heart, to strike at the game (and people playing the game) that threw his life away one last time.

*Look at the setting sun*

A true, american hero...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:50:23 AM by Guyr Adamantine »

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:53:08 AM »
Seriously, what does D&D have to do with voting tendencies? Unless he's trying for a "too young to lead"/"only playing at president" angle, he's just offending a bunch of (reasonably split/apolitical) people for no reason. Any gamer who thought about voting McCain will be thinking twice, and those who might've voted for Obama are all the more likely to, to keep him out of office.

It's just bad politics; insulting a whole demographic for an obscure, sideways attack in a soundbite. Then again, staffers make slip-ups.

I want an apology to the gamer community, but I think the politics are more interesting, TBH.
I know gameology-fu.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »
Have you seen Goldfarb's pre-emptive apology to his earlier comments?  It's complete and utter pandering.

Quote from: Goldfarb
If my comments caused any harm or hurt to the hard working Americans who play Dungeons & Dragons, I apologize. This campaign is committed to increasing the strength, constitution, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma scores of every American.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »

*facepaws*
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 10:39:41 AM »
:shrug
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »
Staffer makes stupid statement, then apologises in a hurricane of puns. News at 11.
I know gameology-fu.

Melblen_Cairn

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 11:16:23 AM »
But Charisma is a dump stat.....
Wisdom has two parts; Having a lot to say and not saying it.

GM for Dawn of Defiance
Eliana Toiba Abijah in Isle Noir: Bad Karma.
Rose Marie Wentworth in The Artifact: Prologue