Author Topic: Zelian's Thread  (Read 16133 times)

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
Zelian's Thread
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
There was another in this story - an educated boy, much like myself back then, who sought the meaning of life and death, which is something I have not found, despite my long time as one of the undead. Little did he know that his path would cross with death many times. As he awoke that morning, he had no idea who his path would cross with...

Valentinius, to Gabriel

Waking up that morning was fairly typical for Zelian. As he rolled over to avoid the sun glaring down on his sleepy face, he found his abdomen embedded in something rectangular and fairly large. Reaching down under the covers, he extracted the offending object: 'A Layman's Guide to Alchemical Principles'. The thickness of the book was only exceeded by its sheer monotonousness and density, which made Zelian wonder what kind of laymen would even consider buying, much less reading, such a volume. His own modest efforts, some quarter of the way through, were marked with a large peacock feather, which he used as a bookmark. Grunting in annoyance, Zelian picked up the book, dropping it on top of the large pile on his bedside, which was now almost as tall as he was.

Suddenly, the doors were flung open, bringing a gust of warm air into the normally cool room. Dagma, the slave whose task it was to look after Zelian, rushed in. Although he was getting old now, he was still highly energetic, not appearing even slightly uncomfortable in his uniform, which Zelian would find intolerably hot in this weather. His tanned and aged face nonetheless retained a lot of dignity, which his neatly-trimmed moustache only added to his appearance. As soon as he rushed in, he nearly tripped over another stack of books, but neatly avoided unbalancing both them and himself. As he approached Zelian's bedside, he gave a bow.

Good morning, Master. Did you sleep well?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 03:28:21 AM by Mister_Sinister »

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Zelian's Thread - You know the drill
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:20:34 PM »
Sitting up slowly, Zelian yawns, careful to cover his mouth so as not to yawn into Dagma's face.  After a moment of stretching, he replies to the slave, Moderately so, Dagma. He places his hand on his chin before turning and cracking his neck. Ahh, much better. Looking around the floor for his sandals, Zelian asks, Is there anything important scheduled for today?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
Dagma instantly reaches into the pocket of his robes and produces a short list, written on parchment.

Well, Master, you have a meeting with your father at noon, near the Moneylenders' Guild Building,  as well as your private tutor in the evening, but otherwise, there is nothing. What would the Master like for breakfast this morning? I hear peaches are good at this time of year.

As Zelian looked around the room, he noticed that the housekeeper slaves had listened to his instructions about not moving his books. While it made his room painfully difficult to navigate, there was an order and logic to it, albeit not one they would understand.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
Peaches sound fine. Help me into my clothes.  As Zelian stands and waits for Dagma to bring his clothes for the day, his mind wanders. Moneylenders' Guild, eh? That sounds promising.  I suppose I have my morning off then. Some light reading sounds optimal.  Dagma. Zelian's own voice snaps his mind out of its wandering. Does it look like it may rain today?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:09:48 PM »
Dagma smiled, his face creasing.

If there was only one thing I was certain of in this world, Master, it would be that there would be no rain today. Would the Master prefer milk or cream with his peaches? What about your clothes? I think such a hot day suits the Master's peach robes, the ones the Master's cousin gave the Master for his birthday.

As he spoke, he had wandered over to a curtained section of Zelian's room, pulling aside the curtain to reveal a large number of hanging and folded clothes, through which he started to pick gently with his old hands.

Suddenly, the room was filled with a loud trumpeting, coming from the outside. Zelian groaned. Today was the Great Summer Festival, which meant that every major street everywhere would be full of revellers making more noise than was sensible, or, indeed, permitted on any other day of the year. However, it may mean that many shopkeepers may have goods at discounted rates, possibly even books. He was also fairly certain that one of the reasons his father wanted to meet him was to give him a Summer Festival present, which would more than likely be more gold.

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
I think I would prefer cream this morning.  After a brief pause, his mind automatically wandering towards which shops he would visit, it just means that many more books to purchase today, Zelian realized Dagma was still waiting for a response about the day's clothing.  I think we'll be heading to the festival after breakfast, Dagma. There's plenty to see and buy today. We'll need clothes that breathe easily and won't bog us down.  After all, we want the books to bog us down, not the heat. He turns to the slave and smiles his innocent, joyful smile.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »
But of course, Master. I shall retrieve the Master's usual white robe for today, and send orders down to the kitchen for cream with peaches. Would the Master like to eat in this room today? Or would the balcony be more suitable?

While speaking, Dagma took down a very light silk robe, embroidered with gold thread in a pleasing and not excessive manner, which he proceeded to unfold as he walked over to Zelian's bed.

The loud trumpeting outside had subsided somewhat, to be replaced by loud, rhythmical drumming. Zelian knew that it would last all day, and well into the night.

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:51:46 PM »
Not going to sleep well tonight... Oh well, I'll make sure to get something out of it, at least.

The balcony, Dagma. Zelian states as he disrobes and holds his arms out to allow Dagma to dress him.  Once dressed, Zelian nods a dismissal to Dagma, allowing him to head to the kitchen. He then turns to one of the stacks nearby and blindly picks up a book, before heading towards the balcony.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:30 AM »
Zelian's choice of book was a fortuitous one - 'On the Study of Devils'. Most would baulk at such reading over breakfast, but Zelian found the intricacies of outsider anatomy quite palatable over food.

The balcony was the best feature of Zelian's room. It was pleasantly shaded, and its positioning meant that it caught many of the cool sea breezes, as well as having a beautiful view out to the Bay of the Sun. The house was remote enough from the main streets to be fairly quiet on most days, but close enough to make walking easy and convenient. His favourite chair was on the balcony, in the precise spot where he liked it, nicely shaded from the burning rays of the sun.

The view from the balcony at this time of the day was magnificent, as it had four of the five great sights of Tal'Shar - the Bay of the Sun, being a beautiful and pristine blue at this time, so blue that even the most amazing painter could not do it justice, with its golden sand making it seem all the more amazing; the Grand Bazaar, which was busier than usual today, full of colourful tents and stands, selling everything from spices to swords, filled with people who, for today, decided to look extra-special, as if greeting summer. A small stream of smoke floated up from the Meatsmoker's Corner, an alleyway famed throughout Tal'Shar as being the best place to eat in the Bazaar; the Temple of Sol, a beautiful edifice, made entirely from white marble inlaid with gold, which made it shine almost as bright as the sun it was dedicated to, its large dome glowing brightly today from the strength of the light beating down upon it, its spire rising high into the sky, as if trying to touch it; and, of course, the Palace of the Sultan, a beautiful building with seven towers, all made from a blue stone which supposedly did not come from this earth, being of a blue deeper than the most beautiful stones, oceans or even the eyes of women, crowned with silver rooves inlaid with diamonds. Between these places stretched out Tal'Shar - the beautiful, the wondrous, the Jewel.

Even Zelian, who had seen this many, many times, had to stop for a few minutes and admire the city which men like his father had helped to build and make strong. He loved living here, loved being here, and, most importantly, loved what this city had given him. However, his true goal at this time was reading, and thus, settling into his favourite chair, he opened the book at a random page and began to read. This section dealt with Pit Fiends, and was his favourite, due to the great amount of mystery that still revolved around them. He was so engrossed that Dagma had to call out three times before he looked up.

The tray Dagma was carrying had three bowls. One was filled with sliced peaches, beautiful and soft-looking, coloured delicately, with their flesh being almost white. The next was full of cream, thick and pleasant, with a small silver fork next to it, designed to hold the peaces for dipping purposes. The remaining one was filled with a mint tea, whose scent was very pleasant, cutting through the hot and somewhat dusty air. As Dagma set the tray before Zelian, he looked like he had suddenly realised something.

Word has just come from the Master's mother that she would like the Master to meet another girl today. She also asked me to inform the Master that the dietary habits of carrion crawlers do not make for good table conversation with a woman of the Master's age.

Dagma smiled slightly at the last sentence.

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »
Zelian raised one eyebrow towards Dagma. Did my mother inform you what might be good table conversation?  Without waiting for a response, he quickly turned back to his book to finish the sentence he was reading.  I wonder if I'll be able to dissect a Pit Fiend one day... he wondered to himself before closing the book and handing it to Dagma.

As he began to enjoy his breakfast he focused his eyes on the Bazaar, half wondering what kind of books he would purchase today. Was there anything else in the message? Do we know anything about this girl that I am to meet? What time is the meeting?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:28:24 AM »
Apparently, her name is Amarra. She comes from the Seisah family, which the Master knows are famous diamond cutters and traders. She is of the same age as the Master, and apparently quite beautiful. You are to meet her at the Court of the Fountain, and both your humble servant and hers will accompany you. It appears that she expressed a desire to show the Master her father's diamond collection, after which she wanted to share some fresh figs and honey over tea. The time will be after you are finished with your father.

Dagma listed everything from memory, as if reciting a poem to a teacher, while holding the book he had been handed without moving.

[spoiler]I am SO loving this. :D[/spoiler]

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:39:36 AM »
Zelian listens carefully as Dagma recited everything, slowly enjoying his morning peaches. Very good, Dagma.

As he finished his breakfast and and enjoys his tea, his mind begins to wander. Mother will, of course, want a detailed report. I'll have to pay extra attention and try extra hard not to offend Miss Amarra.

Zelian sets his tea down abruptly and stands. Come then. We should enjoy what we can of the market before the morning escapes us.  As he walks into his room and out into the hallway, he motions to the stack he picked the book up from. Place it there, Dagma. Come along now.

[spoiler]This is so awesome. :D [/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »
Dagma did exactly as he was told, placing the book precisely on top of the stack, in line with the book below it, before hurrying after Zelian and out of the room.

Zelian knew that stepping out onto the streets after the cool home he was used to was always a bit of shock. Today, in high summer, it was more of a shock than usual, as the heat washed over his body, causing him to sweat almost immediately, despite the lightness of his robe. Whether Dagma was affected or not, Zelian couldn't tell, as Dagma always remained the same as he was, no matter what. This is likely why he was both trusted and respected enough to look after Zelian, as this was a job almost any slave would be happy with.

As they strolled together to the Bazaar, Zelian felt like he was being lost in a sea of people. Everywhere, everyone seemed to have something to do, someplace to go, someone to meet. He saw elderly men and women carrying all manner of produce to and from various markets, young kids running around playing games on the streets, or simply chasing each other, and many beautiful young women, who would occasionally smile in his direction, but more often than not avert their gaze. The city was awash with colour, scent, sound. It was as if everything in the world had been gathered together here, compressed and made into a single moment, which kept repeating again and again. It was this that Zelian loved about Tal'Shar - almost every day was like this.

As soon as they reached the Bazaar, Zelian's heart jumped. There were many, many sellers indeed this year, more than there had been the year before. He could see, hear and smell just about everything he could and couldn't imagine. To his left, he saw a man selling knives, some of which looked big enough to kill an elephant. To his left, a woman selling large baskets of fresh spices, their beautiful colours being only slightly behind their wondrous aromas. Then, dead ahead, a large shisha stand, where some old men were already indulging in their favourite flavours while drinking tea and talking loudly. In every direction, there were people, buying, selling, talking, laughing, walking, running, crying, searching.... living. Zelian took in a deep breath, as if trying to imprint as much of this on his mind as he could.

Before long, Zelian had amassed quite the amount of books, perhaps some seven in all, which he had managed to find among the different sellers. Dagma, of course, was more than happy to carry them, never losing a single step. Among those books, there was a second edition 'Poetry of Love', which Zelian liked only for academic purposes, as well as for collection reasons - second editions of this famous book were rare indeed, and he only owned a fourth and a fifth. However, among these books was also a brand new book, which Zelian had almost jumped ten feet in the air over, titled 'Life and Death: The Search for Truths'. It had spoken of the question that he had been pondering for some time, and he felt that this book had obviously been given to him for a good reason. Well, that and a good deal of money, too.

[spoiler]Unless you wanna buy anything else, we can move on to meeting your father.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:02:57 AM by Mister_Sinister »

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:34 AM »
As Zelian steps to the side of the street, he takes a deep breath and turns to Dagma. He runs his hands over the books he has recently acquired for his collection. Not a bad haul.  When he glances up, he notices the sun's position. I think it is time we head to the guildhall, Dagma.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 01:17:12 AM »
But of course, Master. It is not too far from here. While the Master is with his father, would the Master like me to bring the Master's books back home?

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 01:18:46 AM »
That would be wonderful. But don't take too long, Dagma. Mother would not approve if you were absent at the meeting with Lady Amarra. Zelian replies with a wink.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:55 AM »
But of course, Master. Your humble servant wouldn't want to leave the Master without help in a difficult situation.

Dagma's face once again creases with a slight smile, before he gives a slight bow and blends back into the streets, books and all.

The path to the Moneylender's Guild building from the Bazaar was a fairly simple one, as they were but one street away. Zelian found his father already waiting for him, likely between deals. His father was already fairly portly, but he had been putting on even more weight lately, making him start to appear somewhat too rotund. He was wearing heavy-looking dark blue robes, and was sweating quite heavily, with the remnants of his hair being pressed slick against his balding head. His beard and moustache were unkempt, as usual, and with their slight streaks of grey, looked fairly depressing.

As Zelian approached the large building, his father did not notice him immediately. This did not surprise Zelian even slightly; his father was not known as the perceptive type. However, once within about fifteen feet, his father noticed him and waved. Once he had approached him, his father smiled slightly, and began to talk in his deep, large and somewhat lardy voice.

Hello, son! Hope you're good today! Happy Summer Festival! Look, I don't have much time, and I have to be away soon - the Moneylenders' Guild are giving me some trouble with certain... expenses. Here's my present for you - use it for books, or wine, or whatever you want. Heck, spend it on the latest girl your mother thinks would make a good wife for you if you want. Basically, it's yours to do with as you will.

With that, Zelian's father pressed a purse into Zelian's hand. By its weight, Zelian guessed there must be at least fifty gold pieces in it, possibly more. His father, however, looked like he was rushing things, as his voice was taking on a hasty manner of speaking, and even his giving of money to Zelian seemed oddly hurried.

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 01:38:41 AM »
Hello, Father. Zelian greeted his father with a polite bow. Happy Summer Festival to you, as well.  He takes firm hold of the purse gifted to him, but pauses to give his father a quizzical look.  After less than a second, he wipes the expression off his face and leans in to hug his father. Thank you for this gift. He states loudly, but, upon embracing his father, whispers, Is everything okay?  Remember the first lesson you taught me: Always watch your back and know when to bow out.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 01:40:37 AM »
Despite a reassuring attempt at a smile, Zelian's father still appears uncomfortable.

It's nothing much, just business being what it is sometimes. It'll all be fine, really. Now, anyway, this girl your mother picked out, who is she?

Check them both out!

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 01:47:03 AM »
Zelian nods at his father. Be careful.  Of course, Father.  Amarra Seisah.  Daughter of the diamond-cutting family.  I am to meet her with Dagma at the Court of the Fountain as soon as he returns from the estate. I sent him to return the books I had purchased this morning.  Apparently our date is already laid out, you know how Mother plans these things. He smiles at his father, hoping to ease the stress in the old man.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook