Author Topic: Gleemax Fiasco: Any Takers?  (Read 5355 times)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
Gleemax Fiasco: Any Takers?
« on: May 17, 2008, 07:10:40 AM »
So does anyone have any bets as to:

1) how many posts will vanish in the routine maintenance of the Gleemax boards before the next hour?

2) how many people from Character Optimization that didn't find out today will join tomorrow when the news hits them?

3) how soon there will either be a mass-banning/warning or G0 will step down (or be forced to step down)?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Peaboo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Gleemax Fiasco: Any Takers?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »
1- Posts are pruned back end. When it's down, nobody has access to edit or remove any posts.

2- Lots.

3- Depends on if people violate the CoC or not.

Tazendra

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
I doubt Z0 is going anywhere. I don't think he and his boss think they did anything wrong. Look at the thread where he posted something from a friend of his about how hard it is to run a forum for a large group of people. He posted it during this whole mess, and I assume he meant it as some sort of back-handed explanation. The premise seems to be that since people can be rude, you're going to get a lot of crap no matter what you do.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1032422

I don't think he cares one way or the other. He thinks that people are going to complain anyway, and that all complaints are unjustified. Or he just doesn't care. His boss seems to have enabled him in that attitude as well. Its a common problem with customer support. I am an engineer, and I've had to talk to our field service people more than once about the attitude some of them get over time that the customer is a pain in the ass. They get the blame the customer for their problem attitude, and need to be told that that's not acceptable. There is a huge difference between listening, but not taking abuse, and ignoring everything because you are expecting abuse.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 10:49:07 AM by Tazendra »

Fox Lee

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Me Grimfox KING!
    • Fox Lee Studios
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:28:35 AM »
2) how many people from Character Optimization that didn't find out today will join tomorrow when the news hits them?
Y halo thar :p

I lie, actually. But I think you can count Talen in on the "tomorrow" list...

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:47:52 AM »
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Tazendra

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
Exactly. They've got it in their mind that anyone who disagrees is trolling, so there is no reason to do anything.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 01:19:13 PM »
So does anyone have any bets as to:

1) how many posts will vanish in the routine maintenance of the Gleemax boards before the next hour?

3) how soon there will either be a mass-banning/warning or G0 will step down (or be forced to step down)?

Can I have a summary of what is going to happen now? I gave up trying to follow the VCL thread after being lost in a deluge of posts....  :confused
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »

Well, you have to admit vegans are a little silly. :P
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Fox Lee

• Me Grimfox KING!
    • Fox Lee Studios
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:51:22 PM »
My first thought was that this would have triggered a big fight about whether or not elves were vegan. Which I think says everything you need to know about the D&D boards XD

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:00:14 PM »
What bothers me the most is the complete amount of disrespect that G 0 (and by extension WotC) has shown its most loyal customers. Fortunes can change real fast so WotC better be careful that they don't kill the golden goose.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 10:00:52 PM »
My first thought was that this would have triggered a big fight about whether or not elves were vegan. Which I think says everything you need to know about the D&D boards XD
I thought it was common knowledge already that elves are vegan.  :couch (We don't have the shifty-eyed smiley.)
"They live on fruits and grains, though they occasionally hunt for fresh meat."
We all know the second clause is a typo. ;)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
I thought it was common knowledge already that elves are vegan.  :couch (We don't have the shifty-eyed smiley.)
"They live on fruits and grains, though they occasionally hunt for fresh meat."
We all know the second clause is a typo. ;)
I thought that clause was a euphemism.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
Haha, wow, that's certainly one way to interpret it. ;)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »
I am beginning to think that Mike's behaviour is actually a result of a company-wide policy. The WizOs are also now deleting posts and then merely posting a "if you have problems with us, go to x and file a complaint" to the resulting questions. Basically, it is a "do not explain, tell them to go away" type approach, which has happened before in many of the government agencies around the world (if you have dealt with one, you'll understand this instantly). Thing is, they seemed to have missed the memo that this type of behaviour can only be sustained by something like the government, which controls your lives. For a BUSINESS like WotC, it is economic suicide.

Oh well, there goes any desire that I have to buy Star Wars and MTG products of any stripe...

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »
Having written my share of complaints about Wizards, one of the ones that will routinely crop up is a feeling that they spout rhetoric and don't back it up. WizO policies are just one of the many facets of this; they give the illusion of effort for the community without requiring an investment of time or money.

Cue me bitching about Devin Low for six hours.

Fox Lee

• Me Grimfox KING!
    • Fox Lee Studios
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 11:03:21 PM »
I actually take it as being somewhat heartening. When I hear a WizO spout a policy and make no other comment, that makes me wonder if they don't think G0 is a dumbass too, but aren't allowed to say it.

*hunts for fresh meat*

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:32 PM »
I actually take it as being somewhat heartening. When I hear a WizO spout a policy and make no other comment, that makes me wonder if they don't think G0 is a dumbass too, but aren't allowed to say it.

*hunts for fresh meat*

As a former WizO, that too was the policy. There are form responses WizOs have to post to ensure everything is equal.

So don't hate on the WizOs, hate on the system.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »
Is treantmonk trying to be the new VCL/FL, or what?
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »
hmm, I wonder where this is going to go, but, i think it will be interesting to see where TM20 is going?
Watching this all go down will be interesting.

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 04:05:14 AM »
Is treantmonk trying to be the new VCL/FL, or what?

We might feel that people not moving with us are letting Autumn (and the rest of us) down but I really don't think he should get bashed for his ideas. I think he is being very rational about what happen and I respect this. He did not post any bullshit about Autumn, he even said he thought her "ejection" was inappropriate and a bad idea. He is just trying to say that he don't think one side has all the responsibilities and guilt. Gotta be two to dance Tango.

Our point, is that G0 was not only wrong by thinking Autumn was not the right person for the job, but that he is also an idiot, a jerk and a control freak. That is why we are leaving Gleemax for BG, where admins have shown that they are sane people and have respect for their community. Our problem is with G0 not with Gleemax itself and even less against its community members. If someone thinks he can help getting Gleemax back on track, great. I don't wish any ill to Gleemax, I just want G0 to get fired.

G0 != Gleemax