Author Topic: **Prologue** Trails long gone  (Read 8249 times)

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: **Prologue** Trails long gone
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »
"Of course not," Wek'tcha deadpans, Everyone knows kittens don't have nearly enough meat on their bones, you have to wait until they are fully grown."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:03:22 PM by Nodaisho »
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 01:05:45 AM »
"Oh knock it off you two" gruffed Beyden. The walls were thin, and it would be unbecoming for their employer to overhear them talking about eating kittens.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
After around 10 -15 minutes, Baldwin comes and timidly asks you to proceed into Master Te'on's office.  He stays seated and looks a bit ruffled behind his desk as you move past him and go into the office.

6 chairs are arrayed in a semi circle in front of the main, darkwood desk where the House Master is seated.  A pair of greatswords that obviously look magical are crossed behind him on the wall, as well as several trophies of different kills: a dragon tooth, a beholder eyestalk, an Illithid tentacle are among the items displayed.  A stack of several Jumdee crystals, neatly arrayed in a pyramid, occupy a portion of the desk.  They have the deep purple hue of Jumdee crystals extracted from powerful monsters.

Te'on himself is no less impressive than his office.  Every part of him, or so it seems, is covered by scars, some deep, some light, but the totality of it has earned him the nickname: Scarcrow. aside from that he is a tall, massive man, muscles bulging on his arms, but not in an overabundant fashion.  His are the hard, knotted muscles of one who has trained his whole life to the practice of swordplay.  Your eyes are immeditaly drawn to the inside of his hands, where sword-calls that tell of a life wielding those greatswords are very apparent. 

Master Te'on waves at the chair and tells you to sit in his gruff, commanding voice.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »
Ling Ling moves to one of the chairs in a silent and quick, but not overtly hasty way and sits down. He looks at master Te'on in anticipation of the party's new mission.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:41:58 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 03:25:53 AM »
Nym sits without ceremony.  As usual, his mouth is firmly shut, his eyes and ears open.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 03:05:49 AM »
Beyden takes his seat last, directly in front of Te'on. The two lock eyes and exchange smiles of old camaraderie.

"Borask tells me you have something interesting in mind for us... how may we be of service?"
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Nodaisho

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 11:00:29 PM »
Wek'tcha sits quietly, facing Te'on.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »
Looking around himself and taking a deep sight, obviously recollecting his thoughts.  Te<on repositions himself in his chair and looks beyden in the eye when he speaks.  His voice is a gruff, loud, deep voice, a voice used to shouting orders on the field of battle, but also a voice that could laugh in a giant roar, or threaten in a faint whisper.

Gentlemen, the frontal community of Peyvas has filed a contract request for a ''very'' particular problem.  You see... they have a wolf problem....

Now normally, I'd send green men,, new made members to deal with this sort of thing.  Even Dire wolves aren't a challenge for most new recruits, althought those things can bite throught plate.  So I did send novices, with their squad leader who was an experienced officer, just to make sure.  It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard a word.  So i'm sending you as backup.
Your mission objectives will be the following:

-Locate and end the wolf menace
-Gather information as to how it could be a bigger threat than it seems
-Rescue Team Leader Samovar and his team, if possible, if not, try to locate the bodies and bring them back.
-Come back alive

You have the permission to recruit one temp member, seeing as your still reeling from the loss of Dorsta the dwarf fromy our first mission.  I thrust your judgment capacities on this one Beyd.

Do any of you have questions?

[spoiler]Team Leader Samovar is a veteran officer of the Witch Hunters.  He has higher rank and influence than you Surreal, and the fact that it was him who didn't come back makes what seemed like a routine mission seem suddenly like a very dangerous mission.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:27:47 AM by Alastar »

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
Nym nods, his expression thoughtful.  "Several, Master Te'on.  First: who is our source of information in the area?  Second: do we know him to be reliable?  I'd like to know if we can eliminate the possibility that this was a pre-planned ambush, using the news of the wolves as bait to lure the last team into a trap."

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
"I too have a couple of questions, master Te'on", Ling Ling says calmly.
"What kind of place will we be traveling to?
What is the environment like over there, are there any out of the ordinary features or out of the ordinary wildlife creatures, besides possibly those supposed wolves ofcourse?

And what about the people there, do they have any unusual habits or views?
Will Wek'tcha and myself be able to operate and communicate with the people normally or will we need to act in disguise, or, maybe somewhat more probable in my case, as the party pet or mascot?"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:31:43 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 08:56:33 PM »
Tylunth rocked back slowly in his chair, and let out a long stream of air "...Samovar..." Tylunth had never like Samover much, but he knew in his gut that something it would take something much more threatning that simple direwolves to keep him from reporting back. Tylunth turns to regard Beyden for a long pause before he continues. "Sir, do you have any suggestions of for a temp member sir? Someone native to the area  perhaps? then turns slowly to regard Te'on with that too white smile " ...and how soon can leave? "
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Nodaisho

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
"I second Ling-Ling's question regarding the environment we are going to," Wek'tcha comments, "I would like to be able to make plans before we get there, and tactics for grasslands don't always work in forests, and vice versa."

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2008, 08:00:25 PM »
In his usual demeanor, Master Te'on allows the flow of questions to wash over him and waits a few seconds to collect his thoughts for an appropriate answer.

First, he turns his iron gaze towards Nym, answering in a gruff voice.

Unfortunately, we doN,t have a source of information, the one who filed the contract was the mayor of the bordertown of Peyvas, if he is unthrustworthy, I do not know.  The possibility of a planned ambush is actually one that has been considered, so I urge you to keep an eye out for anything and trust no one.

He then shifts his gaze to Ling-Ling and wek'tcha, englobing them both with this all too-knowing stare that has made strong warlords shift uneasily before him.

Good question, I see Beyden hasn't been idle with his team.  It's a border town, so it's pretty much at the limit of what would be called civilised land.  There are no roads, or at least, none that are still practical, so you'll have to take the boat to get there.  It's a winterless town too, so plan for big trees, very big trees.  What there is in this forest no one knows, thought usually we get called for goblin raids in that area, that is why the wolf call was peculiar.

As for the people well.... You're witch hunters, they won't deny you anything or dare insult you, but it would do better for our image if you two could keep a low profile.

Shifting his gaze to the entire group, he goes on.

I know this doesn't look easy, I won't lie to you, it's not, it's actually extremely risky, it's why I'm sending you guys.  I have faith in your ability, and have great confidence that you will succeed in this endeavor.  Tylunth, to answer you, you can prepare leaving as soon as this meeting is over, one of our boats has already been secured, it's a 1 week riverboat ride.  Anyone has anything else to ask?

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 12:49:31 AM »
Nym closes his eyes, absorbing the information.  He steeples his fingers.  "A number of possibilities present themselves," he says, quietly.  "Animals under the control of a spellcaster would be one.  Shapechangers would be another."  Well, that would be a possibility that would occur to him, wouldn't it?  His eyes open.  "Would we be able to equip ourselves for the possibility of lycanthropes prior to departure?"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 07:59:48 AM »
"Some silver weapons for everyone in the party might indeed be handy." Ling Ling comments.
"However, I fear my natural attacks will still be somewhat lackluster if we do encounter Lycanthropes, unless there has been a new discovery regarding the subject made by our alchemists recently."

OOC:
[spoiler]Is there any way of making your natural weapons count as silver for overcoming DR in any of the books? I doubt regular Silversheen would work...[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
Te'on waves his hand in a dismissive manner.

The quartermaster will provide you with everything you feel like you need for a small fee of course, but unfortunately Ling-Ling, we have nothing to help you there, you would have to maybe get some magical anklets for your claws, and then enchant them with a metal provider enhancement, using jumdee crystals, kind of hard to do if you're supposed to leave tonight, I am truly sorry.

Silvered weapons mIght be in order, true.  Here is a bypass allowing each of you to select one alchemical silver weapon from the inventory.  Anything else you feel like you have to ask?

While keeping an eye out for other questions he scribbles some notes on pieces of papper that he takes from one of his drawers, than hands them to each one of you.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »
"Sir...." Did you? Hmm.. do you have any suggestions of for a temp member sir? Assuming you're still considering us short a member short
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »
Te'on seems to take a pondering look for a few seconds,than answers:

Son.... i coudl probably suggest some good men to you, and most of them would work well.  But you see, sometimes, it's best just to trust in the will of the ten, and see what they have in store for us, at least, it's what I believe.  Just like when Nym joined you, I have a feeling that you'll meet the right person if you follow this throught.  If you think this is just some silly old man that is begining to go senile, well, I'll assign a 6th member to your team and send you off with my blessings, so it's your call.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »
"...the will of the ten..." as if tasting the words and not liking the flavor much.
Then smiling... "of course" as you say sir"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 07:18:14 AM »
"Thank you, master Te'on."
Ling Ling looks to his comrades to see if they have anything else to say or ask or if the're also ready to go.

OOC:
[spoiler]An alchemical silvered kukri for me then. :)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:23:40 AM by BowenSilverclaw »