Author Topic: **Prologue** Trails long gone  (Read 8228 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
**Prologue** Trails long gone
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
The first mission.

6 they were when they left, and 6 they were when they came back.  The most unusual group to ever walk the roads of tenacia.  And that's saying a lot, ten bless me, that's saying a whole frakking lot!!

But they were not the same when they left, full of hope and pride, and when they came back, filled with dread and determination. The mission had gone wrong, somehow, and ark'thor was dead.  I can still remember his eyes, filled with the need to gain respect, the thirst for adventure and battle, he was good, heck, he was one of the best.  A goliath of unsurpassed strenght. Dead.... like the rest of them.  I can still remember all their eyes. 

The mission was simple,go in and destroy a small operation of monsters just out of the boundaries of tenacia.  We lacked information by our employer.  The caverns complex belonged to the Dark Queen.  That in itself should have waranted a higher level team, one with some actual field experience together.  But that would have been only if we knew she was not there.  No one would have been sent if we knew she was there.  Those new guys are really good to have lost only one there.  And at least they brought back Nym, a weird little guy, but useful.  I must go now, this whole story just reminded me of the names, all of the names.... i must go to bed... maybe i will see them in my dreams.

Diary of Te'on Tenec, Head of the tenacian capital, Reycia, chapter house.

The second mission.

They learn so well these youngsters, they learn so well it fills my heart with pride.  Second mission for the 6th group was a complete success, beyond expectations.  Standard mission, a group of hobgoblins was threatening a frontier town.  I sent them by boat to Yaest, the roads in the jungle are not safe at this point of the year, mostly because it's Umber hulk breeding season.  The rivers aren't either, what with the gigantic river snakes, but if i'm given a choice between horny umber hulks and hungry river snakes, i'll take the snakes. 

They got to the encampment.   It was a bit larger then expected, but that did not deter them.  Using clever hit and run tactics they thrimmed down the numbers before using a final assault that took care of the rest.  What a surprise when they also freed the daughter of a rich merchant lord.  He was VERY grateful.  I think they're learning very well, and i'll assign a tougher mission for them next time.

Diary of Te'on Tenec, Head of the tenacian capital, Reycia, chapter house.

OOG information

Ark'thor was party leader before surreal, he went down fighting a humongous brute in the Dark Queen's Lair.  Surreal got promoted to party leading afterwards. 
Upgrading items will be as followed:
every chapter house has a ritual chamber, where you can use Jumdee crystals, these are mostly made out of the remains of monsters using a complicated martial ritual.  Using these jumdee crystals, you can augment your chosen magic items.
For instance.  A hobgoblin heart, in the last mission, was worth 50gp.  Mostly it's the heart, but at other times it can be another piece.  Of course, you can still buy Jumdee crystals with your gold, at a standard rate.  To upgrade your weapons, you must be in a chapter house.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
Re: **Prologue** Trails long gone
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »
As usual, Nym sits alone, watching the ebb and flow of hunters through the chapter house.  He blends in well enough: a nondescript human of middling height, with hair that could best be described as "hair colored" and eyes of a similar nondescript hue.  It's never really been established whether this is his natural form, and he can take the shape of an eight-foot-tall leonine warrior, or whether he's an eight-foot-tall leonine warrior who can take the shape of a human; it does, however, make it a bit easier for him to interact when he's in town.

That, of course, is when he chooses to interact.  Most of the time, he listens more than he speaks, and watches more than he participates.  A useful trait for a hunter, but it does make it a little difficult to get to know him well.  He's dependable in a fight, and has carried his weight in the group thus far...but all of the little details that mark the difference between a friend and an acquaintance are still missing.

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:03:19 AM »
Wek'tcha perches on the roof of the chapterhouse, not making any attempt to conceal his silhouette, watching all around him, debating with himself whether to go to the chapterhouse library or to practice his forms in his quarters. He is bundled up completely in his uniform, gloves, a hood, and a tiger mask completely covering his features. He finds that people are less uncomfortable around him when his mandibles, multi-faceted eyes, and second pair of arms aren't seen, for some reason.
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:22:04 PM »
Right now, you are in-between missions, taking a break.  You have heard that you are to be summoned for your next mission soon. Just tell the others what you are doing, and maybe roleplay a bit.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:25:35 AM »
Beyden sipped at his tea amidst the ruckus of the lounge. Come to think of it, there wasn't even that much of a ruckus. Things were unusually quiet that day. Seemed everyone was in a bit of a slow mood. Beyden examined his little teacup, a strangely dainty thing amidst the rough walls and old wooden tables in the chapter house. He would normally have an ale in hand, but today he felt compelled to try something more "refined". It tasted awful.

With a sigh he gulped the last of the tea and leaned back against the wall, putting his feet up on the bench. He would relax for the next few minutes before making his way to the offices where he and his team had been summoned. Even in relaxation though, his mind flipped through the details of their last mission, working through the maneuvers and communications. There was a reason they put him in charge. He was not particularly well liked, nor was he the most skilled combatant, but he understood his team and how they worked together. He also understood his prey, and would use that knowledge in leading his teammates. "Relaxing" for him meant replaying their previous mission and analyzing how to become better. It was a thankless job, but he relished in it. Where else in the world could he take his hatred for magic and focus it into a team of skilled hunters?

[spoiler]Sorry for the late and rather lackluster first post. Let's just chalk up my delay to girl troubles headaches and leave it at that.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:27:53 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
  "So the paladin says... "When you agreed to show me the giants running through town? I assumed you were a guide! Now put your top back on!" and with that the small crowed erupted into guffawaws of laughter. Tylunth simply smiled big as he signaled the barkeep, "Next round on me, comrades!" and conversations around him began a new. 
  Many nights, tylunth spent thus, mingling and taking in people reactions. If you were close you'd just think he was another devil may care 'daen kar, living it up between adventures being spark in the crowd, or sometimes braying like a drunken ass.
  However, at a distance, if you watched closely... you'd notice that in the moments when everyone was laughing at his latest joke or singing along in revelry, Tylunth, would not be smiling at all more like baring his teeth.
 In fact if you blink you'd miss it, the grim wave passes over him so fast, then he's right back to the party. Those of course who've adventured with him before knew full well what he was doing. Counting. Counting the heads of all the patrons who entered the bar, noting whos sitting and standing and whose run off to the make head calls, and who'd had a pint too much. . . and if the bartender where the type to tell secrets he'd tell that Tylunth had never drank anything steeper than summer cider and was sober all the time. Though he'd never figure why the slight deception and never saw fit to ask as Tylunth payed the price of full ale for all the "non-spirits" he drank and often as not bout rounds for other patrons when ever things got slow.
  Tylunths thoughts as always were a jumble of social ques, and chess moves. Who he should beckon over and when, who hates who, and what and makes who simply makes everyone uncomfortable when they're around, Tylunth loved those most of all. He'd always befriend a monster over a man, and chuckled genuinely to himself how often they were exactly the same thing.
"Hmm... where's Wek'tcha..." he wondered anticipating the ambient sense of  unease that the insectiod man brings when ever he's invited into the crowd even if he doesn't get all of the humor. "...or Ling Ling for that Matter."
 Eventually, he notices that the bartender slid him his drink and takes a sip, just in time to spray it out, and pretend as though the last tale was the funniest he'd ever heard. It wasn't but everyone must play thier role.
  Still smiling and glancing around, he lifts his glass and tips it in the direction of Beyden, before turning back to 9 people standing around the bar and sitting at the first tables; falsely engrossed by the tales of daring.
"I'd rather be out hunting..." Tylunth thought, bored.

[spoiler] Hope I haven't slowed things down too much!  :D Ready to roll![/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:08:32 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
Ling Ling is situated in the upper corner of the main room of the inn, hanging from the ceiling and hiding in the shadows, taking in as many faces as possible and looking for any signs that might indicate the use of magic.
Ling Ling isn't one to enjoy 'downtime' between missions, preferring instead to continue the hunt as that fills him with a sense of purpose.

[spoiler]Sorry for the delay guys, but I'm ready to roll now :)[/spoiler]
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
The door opens with a bang as team number 7, the fighting boars, arrives in the inn and settles down their heavy packs near the wardrobe, before approaching the bar, their eyes tired, their muscles weary, but a grim satisfaction showing in their every move.  These man did a job, and they did it well.  Their team leader, Borask the savage, a great towering man closer to 7 feet than 6, interrupts his walk towards the bar to scan the room rapidly.  He quickly finds what he's looking for and starts to walk instead towards Beyden.

On his way he quickly eyes Tylunth and Nym, acknowledging them with a nod.  He flicks a quick glance towards ling ling, but it's only a passing glance, no way to be sure if he saw you for real, it must be your imagination....  He then settles down in front of beyden heavily, this man is bone weary you see, but he still took the time to come sit at your table.

A serving wench immediatly gives him an ale as he sits down, and an immense grattitude fills his eyes as he thanks her.  He then starts to speak:

Hey there Beyd' , heard you had a good last mission,
he says in a deep, rumbling voice, closer to a weary animal grumble then to actual words, he then clears his throat and continues: My boys and I have been away for four months, just got back.  Old master Te'on would like to see you pronto, hear he has something special for you and team number 13.  If I were you, I wouldn't keep him waiting.

With those words, he gets up and joins his men at another table, gently holding his beer, as one would hold a fragile mistress.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:55:08 PM by Alastar »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
Not waiting for the rest of his team members Ling Ling teleports out of the room (Shadow Jaunt) as soon as he hears Borask's words and heads towards master Te'on's location with utmost speed and agility, pursueing as straight a line as possible for a land dwelling creature with his capabilities.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »
Nym glances at his glass with chagrin.  Fine wine is one of the things he's learning to appreciate, and this is a particularly nice red wine, full-bodied and complex.  He was looking forward to taking his time and enjoying it.  With a pang of regret, he drains the glass, and then moves to join his team, remembering to leave a tip.  There'll be plenty of time for wine and people-watching later; for now, there's work to be done.  He waits for the commander's lead; much better to enter the Master's office as a cohesive and united team, rather than as a rag-tag procession of individuals.

"At your convenience, commander."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:10:23 PM by Caelic »

Nodaisho

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »
Noticing the cloud, and seeing someone that has to be Ling Ling running out of it, Wek'tcha jumps over to the roof by the door of the bar and drops down, assuming that the rest of the group will be out shortly.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 10:47:59 AM »
I'M just waiting for surreal to post, also, where's SDK?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »
"Damn it!" Tylunth says laughingly for all to hear
"What kind of outfit are we in that a man can scarcely enjoy a moments respite with friends without being called off to go on a mission to the nightmare realms, or whatever it is we get to kill this week!"

and with that he quaffs his drink, sliding the bartender his ususal fare, turns and pushes the barstool back into position nudging it back with his foot.
 "Let's see what fuckery, awaits us then..."
He says, swaggering out after his teammates out to meet Master Te'on, trying his best to keep his raw anticipation from dripping out to much. . .

[spoiler] Don't forget about ME! What's SDK?[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:44:59 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
[spoiler]Sorry for the delay. I've been stupid busy as of late.[/spoiler]

As Borask heads back to his table, Beyden finished off his bitter tea (can't let it go to waste, even if it was awful tea) and stretched his legs out one last time. As he passed by team 14, Beyden pats Borask on the shoulder then quickly sets his cup on top of the giant man's head. A brief look of confusion comes over Borask's face, then instinctively he begins craning his head back and forth trying to balance the little cup. A second later one of his men makes it worse by attempting to stack his mug on top of the teacup. The resultant crash of broken glass moments later is not surprising, and a round of laughter erupts from the table. For all of his reputation in earning the name "The Savage" during battle, Borask had a similarly strong funny bone when relaxed.

With a wave, Beyden motions for Nym and Tylunth to join him. A skittering on the roof confirms Wek'tcha is en route as well.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 06:01:25 AM »
As soon as Ling Ling arrives at the door of master Te'on's chambers he halts and moves to the upper part of the wall near the ceiling, waiting for his teammates to arrive befor he enters the master's domain.

OOC:
[spoiler]Well, uni has started again for me, but I should still be able to manage at least 1 post per day :)

Also, SDK would be Skydragonknight, Midnight :)
But yeah, where has he been lately?[/spoiler]

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »
[spoiler]Yeah, basically, i was waiting for surreal only cause he's the party leader, the others can be ''briefed later on''

Bah, we'll make do without sdk for now, he'll join you later.[/spoiler]

As you all gather around in front of Master Te'on's office, his little secretary, Baldwin, peaks his ehad out of the antechamber and says:

Master Te'on is busy for a little while now, can you wait 5 minutes, please

He speaks in a timid voice, nervously eyeing the tri-kreen, then his head pops back inside, and you are made to wait in the corridor.  Most teams are made to wait in the antechamber, but for some reason, Baldwin can't stand being in the same room as Wek'tcha, and Te'on has asked you to wait in the corridor when you have to wait, since his secretary not being at his desk means his secretary isn't working.  And that's a very bad thing for the grizzled harren'daen'kar veteran.

Nodaisho

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:40 PM »
Wek'tcha clicks his mandibles together behind his mask, his way of laughing. "Huh, you'd think that I ate his kitten or something."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:03:39 PM by Nodaisho »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »
I guess people skills aren't his strongest point, Wek'tcha. Ling Ling replies calmly.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
ignore

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 06:52:20 PM »
Wek'tcha clicks his mandibles together behind his mask, his way of laughing. "Huh, you'd think that I ate his kitten or something."

Nym inclines his head quizzically.  "Did you?"  He's learned to fit in relatively quickly, but humor still gives him problems...and, after all, he's seen Wek'tcha eat things considerably more formidable than kittens...