Author Topic: The Consumate Debuffer  (Read 2470 times)

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
The Consumate Debuffer
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »
Paladin of Tyranny 14/Hexblade 4/Bard 1/Warrior Skald 1.
Feats: Devoted Performer, Power Attack, Cleave, Doomspeak
Max out Intimidate.

Doomspeak is the key here. The DC is keyed off of charisma and uses FULL CHARACTER level. Adding Devoted Performer lets you do this 16 times per day (once for bard 1, once for warrior skald 1, 14 times for paladin 14). Warrior skald lets you add pretty much all other bardic music abilities you're missing from multiclassing out.

Penalties:
Aura of Despair: -2 to saving throws
Dark Companion: -2 to AC and saving throws
Doomspeak: -10 to attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks
Intimidate: -2 attack rolls, ability checks, saving throws

-16 to saving throws. -12 to attack rolls and ability checks. -10 to skill checks. -2 to AC.

With saves this low, you could probably chance a hexblade curse for an additional -2 to most of those as well.

Alternatively, you can add in dirgesinger 1, which if I remember correctly will let you tack on another -2 to saves. But this comes at the price of a feat, Requiem. The good news about that is you can now affect undead with bardic music abilities. You can take intimidating strike, daunting presence, frightful presence or whatever else to increase fear. Skill Focus (Intimidate) for all I care. However, this build is pretty much a niche. With 19 BAB and 18d10+2d6 HP, you'll be a front liner and that's where you will need to be too.

Tell your party casters they're welcome.

Comments, criticisms?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: The Consumate Debuffer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:17:41 AM »
Pretty classical and efficient.

- Inspire Awe (DrM) instead of Inspire Courage is an option

- I believe Intimidating Strike doesn't stack with other fear effects ; Frightful Presence is limited to your HD so that Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) is much better. Let's not forget Imperious Command (DotU).

- Item-wise, get a Veil of Allure and an Amulet of Fearsome Might (DrM). Fearsome (DotU) armor of course.

- You're only missing a Binder cohort for the auras of Focalor, Chupoclops and Vanus.

But you're pretty useless against, say, mindless creatures.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:20:32 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »
I think with a 19 BAB build, he can just beat them to death...

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:29:41 PM »
We all know melee itself is pretty useless at high levels. With wizards and clerics throwing around spells that alter the fabric of reality. Might as well make their job easier. Basically you show up, scream some vulgarities at your opponent and charge into battle with their saving throws no resembling mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving Day when the wizard decides to cast his save or screw spell. Shattermantle on your weapon helps as well.

And how often do you face a mindless opponent? And if you do, Doomspeak, Aura of Despair and Dark Companion both still affect it. None of them are mind-affecting. The only thing you're not that great against is construct with their immunity to necromantic effects and that's only doomspeak.

Other perks of this build:
Full armor & weapon proficiencies.
Rebuke Undead
Special Mount (I'd trade for charging smite or another option)
Charisma to saves, and again when it's against a spell
Deadly Touch
Smite Good 3/day
Immunity to diseases
Cause Disease 3/week (yay?)
Bardic Music 14/day
A bunch of bardic musics.

Feats:
Human: Skill Focus (Intimidate)
Flaws: Cleave, Weapon Focus X (Retrain into Divine Might)
1: Power Attack
3: Devoted Performer
6: Leadership
9: Doomspeak
12: Extra Music
15: Improved Initiative
18: Extra Smite (for the smite happy bugger in all of us)

That's just going off the top of my head. I don't remember the requirements for dreadful wrath. >=P

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »
Part of the God schtick is that you buff the cannon (in this case the debuffing frontline meleer) :)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:28:54 PM »
"The intended target must be able to hear and comprehend your damning remarks." -> Doomspeak is language-dependent.

I don't think you need to focus on the one line of criticism rather than all the advice. ;) I like debuffers and find them really useful - but I also want to paint a complete picture.
You should have Imperious Command by the way - it's just that good. Drop Extra Smite for instance. DW's prereqs are only being from certain regions I think.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 10:06:29 PM »
You know, with Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige you could bind Foculor and get an additional -2 to saves.

JaronK

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »
The dreadful wrath regional feat from PGtF lets you cause a fear effect in a 30' radius everytime you attack or cast an offensive spell. Frightful presense from Draconomicon gives you a similar effect but only for creatures with lower hit dice than you.

You could take the obtain familiar/improved familiar feats to get yourself a salt mephit which has a debuffing breath weapon, though it would also require practiced spellcaster and probably more hexblade levels so it might not be worth it for this build.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:20:20 PM »
I recall a thread on here that had a -30ish penalty tacked on to its DC 30ish mind affecting spell.

Along with a Imperious Command + Intimidating Rage + Instantaneous Rage combo that tosses people into the cowering thus cannot attack stage on the opponents turn.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:07:11 AM »
Those Vestige Binding feats would give you Focalor's Aura, I think. If you can find room for them.
This space intentionally left blank.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »
You know, with Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige you could bind Foculor and get an additional -2 to saves.

You can also drop 4 levels of Paladin for 4 levels of Binder (and grab Improved Binding as your Bonus Feat). You lose out 1 BAB in the process, which you 'recover' by using Pact Augmentation to grant you a bonus to your attack rolls. The difference in Bardic Songs can be made up for with Extra Music. This also grants you the vestige list up to 3rd level, which opens up space for a lot of awesomeness.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!