Author Topic: Anime and Manga/Manhwa to pillage for fun and profit  (Read 4215 times)

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Anime and Manga/Manhwa to pillage for fun and profit
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:23:49 AM »
Yeah, yeah, I know - weeaboo, blah, blah, blah...  I've heard it all before, usually from my gaming groups in fact.  Which is why I feel totally free to rip off NPC's and plotlines wholesale to use in the campaigns I run^^  They seem to still enjoy it, despite the source, and if they think I'm a creative genius, well what they don't know won't hurt me^^

Because really, as a DM, I find I can make the NPC's much more believable and "real" if I have a personality in mind to attach to the role.  Instead of spending time rolling up or thinking up different quirks for bartender #37, I can slap a quick name on it, and have a personality, appearance, quotes, the whole nine yards - and I can do it on the fly if need be.  Now, of course you can do this with any TV show, books, movies, etc but I find you run a much larger risk of someone recognizing the rip-off.  Nothing breaks immersion like the group being introduced to your criminal mastermind contact and a player going "oh hey, it's Nate from Leverage". 

So, I thought I would put together a list of mostly lesser known works that I've found handy to steal from.  For the ones I leave blank, you can fill in "Generic fantasy world with lots of characters that can be lifted and put into the plot with no change"

In no particular order:

Manga/Manhwa

Dark Air - Park Min-seo:  This is a fun one for a group that wants to run a more magic-lite campaign, at least to start.  Like a lot of Korean fantasy manhwa, it has a very RPG flavour to it to begin with, so it's not hard at all to fit it to D&D.  3 years before the story starts, magic completely disappears from the world (or almost completely...) leaving a huge power vacuum.  Small mercenary groups of 3-8 people act independently in the chaos, adventuring or doing missions for the nobility.  Lots of varied fighters, with bard-like "buffer" roles as the only remaining magic.  Lots of good stuff here.

ID - Kim Daewoo: Another fantasy manhwa, this one is about a dimensional traveler from a Wuxia-style world that gets stuck in a traditional Western-style fantasy world.  Hilarious, and with an interesting story to boot.

Berserk - Miura Kentaro:  The handbook for running a morally grey/black campaign and still managing to keep some semblance of heroism.  Also has (as you might guess) one of the most bad-ass Barbarian/Berserker-type characters ever.  It is fairly well known though, so steal characters with caution. 

Ubel Blatt - Shiono Etorouji:  Another really dark manga, this one is really good to pull villains and plot from.  I'm just waiting for someone to play a paladin in my group so I can launch this bad boy on him.

Paladin - Ryu Kee-Oun: 

Magician - Kim Sarae:  Lots of wizard-types

Dark Mage - Kim Jung Ryul:

Sacred Blacksmith - Miura Isao:  Some interesting Legacy items in this one

Rave Master - Mashima Hiro: Light-hearted and comedic, good for some real "WTF?" characters when you need some silliness

Jackals - Shinya Murata, Kim Byung Jin:  Need some real psychopaths and/or some serious dark gray anti-heroes? 

Shin Angyo Onshi - Youn In-Wan:  This one is a bit slow to start, but after a few volumes, it gets into the real plot and there are a lot of "doing the wrong thing for the right reasons" type villains if that's something you want to explore.

One Piece - Echiro Oda:  I have to add this one in, even though it's not very D&D-like, but there are so many good personalities to steal - and the background storyline can be interesting to use as well.

Anime (often based on games or light novels)

Dantalion no Shouka:  I'm a huge fan of this series, ever since I picked the books up a few years back.  Lots of good ideas for "magic item is wreaking havoc" adventures

Sands of Destruction

Legend of Legendary Heroes

Tears to Tiara

Seirei no Moribito 

Baccano! Not D&D at all, but a huge amount of colorful, memorable characters - by the same writer as Durarara

Kaibutsu Oujo: For all you Necropolitan fans^^

Rental Magica a varied cast of magic users for those that like to change up the superficial appearance of magic

There are, of course, hundreds more, but I thought I would start small and add more as I go.  Hopefully someone will find this useful =)

Mooncrow

Re: Anime and Manga/Manhwa to pillage for fun and profit
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 06:24:22 AM »
Reserving this in optimism that I may need it^^

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
Rental Magica is especially fun. How would you fit all the varying styles together?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Mooncrow

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:28 AM »
Rental Magica is especially fun. How would you fit all the varying styles together?

Hmm, that's a good question. 

Itsuki - monk with an artifact allowing true sight and access to the archivist's Dark Knowledge class ability?

Honami - probably a straight wizard, with an ACF similar to the Wizard of Sun and Moon

Manami - obviously a ghost template of some kind

Seikiren - a Sacred Fist build of some sort

Mikan - earth shugenja

Nekoyashiki - probably the hardest since I can't think of a class that does multiple familiars really, outside of fiendbinder or necromancer builds.  Maybe a 3.0 druid?

Judaix - easy, warforged artificer

Adelicia - part of me really want to do binding for her, since her actual form of magic (goetic) is the basis for binding; but it's probably closer to Malconvoker or Fiendbinder

hmm, have to think on this some more^^