Author Topic: 15th Level Gestalt Martial Adept//Wildshape Ranger  (Read 6428 times)

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: 15th Level Gestalt Martial Adept//Wildshape Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
Hmm, I'm fairly sure I cannot wildshape into multiple creatures, so by that logic, Swarms would be offlimits (nothing I've got specifically mentions the Swarm-type). I'll have to look into that. Any Monstrous Humanoids or Giants I should be aware of? Hill Giant isn't very impressive, Trolls are bleh... Anything with Fast Healing?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 12:11:35 AM »
That would only work up to your HD, which means you can only augment it up to your HD. It is not infinite by any stretch of the imagination, or am I missing something here?

No, I only have manifester level 8 (from two Psywar levels), but what I mean is that I have an enormous pool of power points.  1 from my class levels and another hundred plus from having ML 8 and a spellcasting stat in the sixties.

As far as good shapes to wild shape into - without the monster manuals I don't have many good ideas left.  Mountain Troll would have been perfect, but it looks like you're left with a fairly short list, the best of which I think you've spotted.

Can you do swarms?  Against the right opponent, a well-chosen swarm might be an auto-win.  Locusts?
I would say "No" to swarms. You Wildshape into a single creature. Swarm specifically states they are multiple creatures.

All the PP in the world won't help you if you have a Manifester level of 3 (the ML bonus caps at 2). You can only spend 3 a round, and you only know 1 power which you can spend it on. At 15th level, that is so trivial as to be put in the "don't bother" section.

Eladriel - Most swarms are vermin, and you get vermin Wildshape as a MoMF. And why bother with fast healing when you have regeneration as a troll? :)

For fighting, look at Annis Hag for monstrous humanoids. Or Fire Giant for giants. Choker with Assume Supernatural Ability feat is good for casters.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 12:36:26 AM »
Unfortunately, Savage Species and thus Assume Supernatural Ability is strictly off-limits (luckily - I don't even WANT to think about what all I'd have to face if it were legal). Fire Giant unfortunately has too high HD. Annis Hag is something I'll have to keep in mind. Too bad the other MMs, FF and LoM aren't allowed - I'd really enjoy a wider variety of options.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 12:39:15 AM »
Oh, that's right, you are not playing with a full 15 HD Wildshape. My bad.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
If it didn't bore the crap outta me, I would've probably built this character as some variety of Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker/stacked Str-increasers on one side and a full Wildshape-advancement on the other. That could probably be more effective (because bigger numbers), but the Martial Adeptness will help me not get damn bored while playing. Also, I can't pretend there weren't some useful maneuvers around too. Too bad I can't access 9th level maneuvers though.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »
Hmm, I'm fairly sure I cannot wildshape into multiple creatures, so by that logic, Swarms would be offlimits (nothing I've got specifically mentions the Swarm-type). I'll have to look into that. Any Monstrous Humanoids or Giants I should be aware of? Hill Giant isn't very impressive, Trolls are bleh... Anything with Fast Healing?

Regeneration is as good as fast healing, and you have some forms with that. 

Swarms are a sub-type of vermin, by the way.  You can definitely wild shape into a vermin, and swarms count as a single creature as well.  And yes, it does seem cheap to do it, so your DM will probably ban it.

By the way Andy, Tareg took practised manifester, so he has ML 8 from his two levels (ML 7 from one level of Psywar), which is enough to expand from large into gargantuan.  Then he has real reach.  And grapple checks.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 02:04:02 AM »
He can do it with ML 7 anyways.

Swarms are not a subtype of vermin. There are swarms of rats too, and they are not vermin, and swarm of hellwasps, which are magical beasts. I think it is the other way around Swarm with subtype vermin...?

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 02:07:09 AM »
I had an amusing idea. If I could somehow cram an extra level there somewhere (and get by with one less feat), I could take something with Powerful Build and go to town as Gargantuan for most intents and purposes. Too bad I can't have both, Warshaper 3 and FoF 1; that extra Reach would be sweet. Many Huges have a lame reach of 10', and even the best only have 15'. Oh well; if this were a 16th level Arena, things would be totally different (I could have Barbarian 1, Warshaper 3, +1 LA and still maintain all the cool stuff), but bleh. As it stands, I'm crammed for space.

I suppose I'll ask about the swarms (and suggest "No" for an answer). And yea, Reg will do, if only it were available in the best combat forms. Well, I guess I'll just have to be doing a lot of in-combat shifting. Hmm, some item that would make it into a Swift Action? I recall such exists. Although I wager I'll be running low on those as well. I'm almost done, just pending some answers from DM on how much I can do. Then I'll just need to decide which Favored Enemies I choose. Humanoid (Human) seems like the good first option, but the second is harder.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 02:12:12 AM »
You get move action from MoMF. That is usually enough if you wanna grapple someone.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 03:27:06 AM »
Quote from: MM1
While a single cloud of locusts might actually be hundreds of feet
across, for game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creaturesubtype.

Swarms not totally out of the question.  By RAW I'd say they're definitely allowed.  They might allow them simply to reward your clever idea.

Taking Goliath would be fun, but you'd lose the racial abilities other than powerful build (possibly even powerful build?) when you wildshape.

If you can hold an appropriately sized reach weapon in a wildshaped huge form then your reach becomes 30'.  That's starting to get there.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 03:51:47 AM »
You get move action from MoMF. That is usually enough if you wanna grapple someone.

Well, I want Swift Action to go with the whole Bounding Assault Pounce U-routine to get a full attack instead, and to do multiple shifts over one turn along with movement. I'm fairly sure such item exists, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where.

ano: Only Ex special attacks are lost. Abilities, such as bonus feats and Powerful Build are retained according to the present wording. Oh yeah, I'll ask about Swarm Wildshape.