Author Topic: Spells inspired by fiction  (Read 6685 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Spells inspired by fiction
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »

Wings of Light
Evocation/Illusion (Glamer)  [ Light ]
Level: Cleric 4, Paladin 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level

The caster's wings expand in size and become immaterial. While under the effects of this spell, the caster's fly speed increases by +30 ft., but he cannot use his wings to attack. If the caster did not rely on wings to fly, a set of luminous wings sprout from his back. If the caster cannot fly by any means, this spell has no effect. The caster's wings emit light as a light spell - this light is so intense that creatures which rely on their eyes to track the caster take a -2 penalty on attack rolls against him. If the caster enters an area of magical darkness, the light is suppressed but the spell continues to function. Finally, this spell generates afterimages that follow the caster and make it difficult to find his location - as long as he moves at least 10 feet in his turn, he gains concealment for 1 round. A see invisibility spell does not counteract this spell's effects, but a true seeing spell does.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:17:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Spells inspired by fiction
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
Anyone else have anything to add?

Psionics, soulmelds, vestiges, etc. are fine too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:32:01 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »
Click here to see the spell

Ground Dasher
Transmutation 5 [Earth]
Sor/Wiz 5, Wu jen (Earth) 5
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: 40 ft
Area: 40 ft line
Duration: instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell resistance: no

O roar of the earth, bring forth the fangs of the mighty dragon! Ground Dasher!!

This spell makes the earth ahead of you to shake and break violently, damaging those within for 1d6 points of damage per level (max 20d6) and falling prone. A reflex save halves the damage and negates falling prone. Additionally, the area of the spell becomes difficult terrain.
--
Edited to don't suck...

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »
That's pretty underpowered, actually, I'd say. But Tales of the Abyss rocks.

The Discussion Thread - Help!
Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »
Tps for saving it? Increase the damage cap to 20d6, or adding another effect?

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »
Making it level 5 all around and increasing the cap to 20 would probably help enough. Chain Lightning deals less damage to a group, is typed, and has no secondary effect but can be fired into a crowd with absolutely no risk of hurting your party. It's also not useless if everyone is flying.

The Discussion Thread - Help!
Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »
Edited and added some little stuff...

More later...

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:10:32 PM »
Click to see spell (at 3:12)

Gravity Blessing
Evocation
Sor/Wiz 8
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft+5 ft/2 levels)
Area: 20 ft radius
Duration: 5 rounds; see text
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial; see text
Spell resistance: yes

You create a 20 feet radius black sphere of concentrated gravity above your enemies, then drop it, crushing everyone below and dealing 1d6 damage per caster level (max 25d6), plus all targets in the area are slowed for 5 rounds unless they make a Fortitude saving throw.

EDIT: changed a little more...

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
For some reason this sounds like an evocation spell to me. Similar to Crushing Fist of Spite from the Book of Vile Darkness. Definitely cool, no matter what.

Handy Links

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »
For some reason this sounds like an evocation spell to me. Similar to Crushing Fist of Spite from the Book of Vile Darkness. Definitely cool, no matter what.

Really? Hmmm....

*look at the spell*

Yeah, I guess.... let's put it Evocation....

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 06:58:22 PM »
I've not thought up spells out of fiction very much, however I've had dozens of spells crop up from chat-speak jokes.

Ex: lolergasm (Tasha's Hideous Laughter)

soudou

• Monkey bussiness
  • 100% Genuine Imitation Leather
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm allowing a player in my tabletop Forgotten Realms game to create a Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion spell, inspired by OotS. :)

It'll probably be pretty similar to this.
Every spectator is a plotter, if he tries to explain a word (to know!) From his padded refuge of serpentine complications, he allows his instincts to be manipulated. Whence the sorrows of conjugal life.  To be plain: The amusement of redbellies in the mills of empty skulls.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 11:55:14 PM »
Click to see spell (at 1:49)

Calamity Blast
Evocation[Fire]
Sor/Wiz 9, Wu Jen 9(fire)
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level)
Area: 20 ft radius spread
Duration: concentration + 1 round
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: yes

The time of the exorcism is at hand! Venomous servants, unleash thy dark flames! Calamity Blast!!

You create a globe of scorching flames above you that releases small fireballs each round you keep concentrating on the spell. Each small fireball works just like the fireball spell, except that they deal 1d6 fire damage per level (max 20d6).

-----
Meh, another sucky Evocation spell... but I still like it  :D

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »
*Raise thread*

Dragon Slave
Evocation
Level: Warmage 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Four spreads; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows
Buried in the flow of time, in thy great name, I pledge myself to darkness
Let all the fools who stand in our way be destroyed by the power you and I possess: DRAGON SLAVE!

The caster fires an orb of red light from their hand which blossoms into a devastating explosion. This spell creates four separate spreads which center on the same point, each dealing 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels. These spreads have radii of 20ft, 40ft, 60ft and 80ft respectively. Affected creatures must make saving throws against each spread separately. This spell deals full damage to objects.

Ragna Blade
Evocation
Level: Warmage 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Casting Time: 1 move action; see text
Range: Touch; see text
Duration: 1 round
Saving throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Lord of the Dreams that Terrify,
Sword of Cold and Darkness, free yourself from the heaven's bonds,
Become one with my power, one with my body
And let us walk the path of destruction together!
Power that can smash even the souls of gods: RAGNA BLADE!

This spell calls forth an enormous blade of pure darkness that lasts until the end of the round. This blade can be used to make melee touch attacks which deal 5d6 points of damage, +2 per caster level - these attacks are made at a -4 penalty due to the shifting and unstable nature of the blade. Any successful hit is treated as a coup de grace, and ignores hardness and damage reduction, as well as any effect which absorbs damage (such as the Divine Shield salient divine ability). Damage dealt by this spell cannot be recovered by regeneration or fast healing. An attack from this blade can even destroy a wall of force or similar effect (dispelling it automatically).

The blade can be used to attack targets on coterminous planes (eg. the Ethereal Plane and Plane of Shadow, if the wielder is on the Material Plane). Alternatively, as a standard action the wielder may cut a rift into a coterminous plane (similar to a gate spell) which lasts for 1 minute.

If a creature is slain by this spell, its body is rent apart and even its soul is damaged - There is a 50% chance that a wish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a victim to life. (Check once for each destroyed creature). If the check fails, the creature cannot be brought back to life by mortal magic, or by deities with a divine rank of 20 or less.

Tapping such fell energies is draining, however - casting this spell deals 1 point of non-lethal damage to the caster per caster level. If you have cast this spell on the previous round, its casting time is reduced to 1 swift action.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:39:33 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
Dragon Slave?

Shouldn't that be Salve?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
Dragon Slave?

Shouldn't that be Salve?
I don't get it.
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Dragon Slave?

Shouldn't that be Salve?
I don't get it.

Slave implies dominance. The spell you posted does not cast Dominate on a Dragon, which means the name is misleading. Salve would make some kind of sense (like conjuring a bucket full of liquid dragonfire directly above them).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »
Dragon Slave?

Shouldn't that be Salve?
I don't get it.

Slave implies dominance. The spell you posted does not cast Dominate on a Dragon, which means the name is misleading. Salve would make some kind of sense (like conjuring a bucket full of liquid dragonfire directly above them).
Hey, I didn't invent the name! In-story, it's explained as a corruption of "Dragon Slayer". There were some characters who didn't know anything beyond the name, and assumed it involved dominating a dragon.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:43:40 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:18 PM »
Personally, I figure Ragna Blade should be a 1/2 CL/rounds, until discharged(the annihilation effect), melee reach touch attack to save or be annihilated. Deals vile damage(Seems to me like 5d6 + 2/CL should do it) on a successful save and per hit. Creatures killed by it cannot be raised, ressurected or reanimated.

Also, SiFir, it's Engrish, not English. Japanese came up with the name. Explains all you need to know really.

Say, any idea on how to do something like this?
[spoiler=big images]

[/spoiler]

Some kind of super Haste?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
Personally, I figure Ragna Blade should be a 1/2 CL/rounds, until discharged(the annihilation effect), melee reach touch attack to save or be annihilated. Deals vile damage(Seems to me like 5d6 + 2/CL should do it) on a successful save and per hit. Creatures killed by it cannot be raised, ressurected or reanimated.
Well, that's covered by the coup de grace end of it, which includes a Fort save vs. death. It also means that if you use Ragna Blade to cut a zombie's head off, it will keep coming (assuming the zombie has enough hp).

Vile damage and destroying souls sounds good.
My work