Author Topic: Guest stars?  (Read 1756 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Guest stars?
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:38:07 PM »
Just pointing this out - in a PbP game, the DM doesn't have to play all the NPCs and monsters himself. You could easily get another member of the forums to play a BBEG.

Does anyone think they would ever do this in their games?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

fil kearney

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
Re: Guest stars?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »
I've done this a few times. 

I'll give the guest a general set of guidelines on how to behave, when to back off, priorities and goals.. and let em at it with whatever personailty they choose. 

Sometimes I provide the stats for the encounter, other times I just say, "I need a ___ ~CR __ is fine." and let em make up whatever they want, revise it a bit for relavence, and let em go for it.

If it's a real important encounter, I'll retain control, but a guest as a minor or random encounter spices things up quite a bit.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
That's actually a fun sounding idea. I may have to try this sometime. We do have the advertisement thread, which can easily be used to grab someone who just wants a quick battle or something. :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »
There are no quick battles in PbP!  :D

But it could be cool.  I'll probably never do it - though I might need to ask the Char Op board for help later on.  And it would be interesting to run a campaign where there were different groups working against each other, each played by different teams that couldn't see what each other was doing unless the DM cross-posted it.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Maybe we should see if this thread could get stickied for soliciting interest (since it's more specific)?  Something along the lines of:

DMs Seeking Guests
RandomBob - minor recurring villain
TPKMan - one-shot dragon encounter

Current Guest Volunteers
RandomJoe - prefers playing monstrous humanoids
Rambo - prefers melee types

DMs can cherry-pick volunteers, or post specific want ads, and vice-versa.

Not sure I'd have the time to maintain a listing myself, though.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »
There are no quick battles in PbP!  :D
Hahaha. Quick is relative ;) Compared to the campaign itself, one battle isn't a huge commitment. It might also be an interesting way to introduce new people to PbP games. :D

@PFH: I'm not against giving it a stickied thread if it's going to be used, but we already have an Open Game Advertisement thread that can be used for this purpose.  If it turns out that this kind of thing ends up being more popular, I have no problem making a separate thread for it, but let's wait and see if that's actually needed.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie