Author Topic: Min/Max it! Posting Guidelines  (Read 35174 times)

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
Min/Max it! Posting Guidelines
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »
SUMMARY

1) Be specific - the more details about your character and the game, the better.

2) There *will be* many useful threads out there which may already have the answers you want. Don't forget to try, either - it really isn't that hard. Remember - whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right.

3) Say things like "please" and "thank you". Be good to your fellow Humanoids,

Welcome to the Min/Max it! boards, a land of Kobold overgods, infinite possibilities, nasty tricks, useful collections, but most of all, incredible collective skill at making solid D&D characters. It's probably all a bit confusing at first, but pay close attention to the basics, and soon you'll be on your way to making your own top-notch characters, combinations, and perhaps helping others out with the same.

Whenever you want ask for help on the Min/Max it! boards, remember these three things:

share with us, put in an effort, and follow through.

1) Share with us
In order to help you make a cool character, we have to know what you know about the character and the game it will be in. Here are some things to consider:   

• What D&D books you can use?
  • What type of character you want it to be?
  • What levels will this character be played at?
  • Any house rules or particular details about your DM or the other characters in the game?
  • What specifically you are looking for help with?

This list is far from comprehensive, so the more specific details you can provide, the better.

2) put in an effort
This means being polite, using good grammar and punctuation. (We know not everyone is a native English speaker, and that's OK - but its a language that most people know). Check to see if what you want is already out there on the CO Boards - there's a very good chance you're not the only one with that idea or question. 3 pages is about 12 hours worth of posts. Use these valuable resources to answer your questions before starting a new thread:

If you can't find what you're looking for after you've been through these great references, go ahead and post a new thread.

Keep in mind that the best form of help is self-help. Try your hand at the build - you might be surprised at what you do know, and you will receive more focused advice for your character. If you do the work, you'll reap the rewards!

3) follow through
This does not mean bumping the thread every 20 minutes. It means checking in and commenting on people's suggestions, asking for clarification about things you don't understand, and generally guiding the discussion towards what you want. If the creator of a thread sticks around to follow through, you're much more likely to get what you want out of the Min/Max it! boards. Don't be discouraged if your post doesn't get any hits immediately - perhaps the one who will help you lives on the other side of the planet and is just waking up. And don't forget to thank the people who help out with suggestions, links, and advice. They're kind-hearted volunteers and fellow D&D players/DMs, not Wizards of the Coast employees.

Sample Posts:

Quote from: The Bad Example
hey yall i need ideas for a new charecter i need stats class and race kool thx well the background is a charecter from a shady past a loner perhaps sum1 who has a secret and was left by his/her family as a baby and collected by the elves as one of there own and he/she was given a bow for his/her 16th birthday and was sent to find her/his family but i dont like wizards or clerics and preferably not an elf thx there r lots of ****in monsters draw stats using the method u find best

Quote from: The Good Example
Hi Guys,

I'm starting a new game in a few weeks and I'm having trouble coming up with a character. The last game I played in I fell behind the rest of the party pretty badly in combat situations and it ruined a lot of the fun for me, and one of my fellow gamers recommended I stop by here for some help before the next game. I want to play a wizard (or any arcane caster really) with an emphasis on enchantment and manipulation, but I haven't found help for that kind of mage in the handbooks on this board yet.

The game is 32 point buy, starting at level 4, in a homebrew setting. The DM allows material from the Core books, the Complete series, the Races of X series, the Spell Compendium, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook. He specifically does not allow online sources such as web enhancements for these books. The party will be five members strong including my character, and two of them have already decided on their characters (a rogue and a druid, I don't know specifics beyond this).

As I said I'm looking for a charms and compulsions type of mage (thematically, the Mindbender prestige class from Complete Arcane interests me), and while I know I could have a lot of fun with that outside of battle, I don't want to feel like dead weight when a fight starts.

The DM has told us the scope of the campaign should reach around level 15 by the end and he doesn't have any major houserules that I am aware of.

I'm really at a loss for what feats to take, what race to play, and any prestige classes I should be aiming for, and how to assign my ability scores (I haven't made a point buy character before). I know I'd like to start as a Wizard.

Thanks in advance for all your help  :)

The difference is clear. The bad example is vague, demanding, difficult to understand, and shows so little effort it's rude.

The good example shares meaningful information about the character, the game, and what is wanted, puts in an effort to be clear and show that the poster has already looked into the essential resources, and even starts to follow through by thanking people in advance.

Addendums

1) Remember, this is the Min/Max it! board, wich is meant to create optimized characters, not campaign smashers to make your DM cry.
The builds that are not meant for play belongs in the "You break it, you buy it" thread. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=10.0)

2) More often than not, a stub is better than a finished build, if you want the optimizers to work on it. Please be open minded, there is no point in asking for help, then refusing all of it because of the build you already have...

3) Faithless tbe Wonder Boy teach us the art of responding to other posters in the Min/max it! boards.

Originally posted by PhoenixInferno, only slightly altered by me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:53:43 PM by Shigunaru »
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

Shigunaru

• I am your "friend"
    • Email
Re: Min/Max it! Posting Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »
Is it allright to take it as it is from the CO Board? Should I just rewrite it from scratch instead?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »
Might want to edit the name Character Optimization board out, but it should be okay like that. And you can always ask PI if it's cool with him. He has always seemed like a reasonable guy, so I have hard time believing he says no.

Handy Links

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »
Looks good. Now, if we can keep it up and looking good. we will out class the WotC boards!

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »
Luckily, I think most of the people migrating here from CO are people who obey those guidelines. :)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »
Well, at least the most Classy Co borders will migrate.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:58 PM »
I'm hoping those who are really dedicated to making a positive place for CO'ers to congregate will at least co-habitate, if not migrate.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:06:06 AM »
Thats...Exactly what i meant by classy...just I'm not as articulate as you or I'm much lazier. lol but what you said is what we need.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:53 AM »
I propose we use a tagging system at the end of each title [Game abbreviation, edition if applicable].
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 02:05:03 AM »
I propose we use a tagging system at the end of each title [Game abbreviation, edition if applicable].

Barring the creation of subforums for seperate systems, I second this, and will being using the same in my posts.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »

Barring the creation of subforums for seperate systems, I second this, and will being using the same in my posts.
I'm opposed to subforums besides 4E.  4E and Everything Else would be the best split IMO.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 02:27:50 AM »
for the posting guidelines, I think it is important to note the seperation that is implied in Podcast #9.  That is, the Mix/Max board is for making FUCNTIONAL characters.  These are to be characters that you can take into a game with no reservations about 'breaking' the game and which are founded on solid rulings or state the interpretations neccessary to the character.  Anything that is a purely academic excersize or is never intended for actual play belongs on the "You Break It, You Buy It" forum.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 02:38:42 AM »
The one problem I see with that is the same one between CO and TO on the Gleemax boards. It's a very subjective interpretation that divides "practical" and "theoretical" since everyone plays differently and has different groups with varying accepted norms.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 02:48:56 AM »
The one problem I see with that is the same one between CO and TO on the Gleemax boards. It's a very subjective interpretation that divides "practical" and "theoretical" since everyone plays differently and has different groups with varying accepted norms.

The podcast on Min Maxing lays the owner's thoughts on this out nicely.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:49:33 AM »

The podcast on Min Maxing lays the owner's thoughts on this out nicely.
Note to self: watch the podcast...
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
As an aside, I actually think that you also shouldn't post too much detail.  Most people who have posted truly complete builds get very little feedback.  Post a sketch, with some details, and you'll probably get much more traffic.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:05:13 AM »
As an aside, I actually think that you also shouldn't post too much detail.  Most people who have posted truly complete builds get very little feedback.  Post a sketch, with some details, and you'll probably get much more traffic.

Best,
David
I agree, another good method is to post a complete build and then include a writeup on the things you are thinking of messing with.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Shigunaru

• I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 06:24:34 AM »
for the posting guidelines, I think it is important to note the seperation that is implied in Podcast #9.  That is, the Mix/Max board is for making FUCNTIONAL characters.  These are to be characters that you can take into a game with no reservations about 'breaking' the game and which are founded on solid rulings or state the interpretations neccessary to the character.  Anything that is a purely academic excersize or is never intended for actual play belongs on the "You Break It, You Buy It" forum.

I'll add a section at the end, lets call it "addendums", for this kind of advices that shows up in the thread.

Best,
David

Consider this added too.

Shigunaru

• I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »
Some minor tweaks, plus i am requesting a sticky for this. Before it's too late, ya know...

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
Oooh, good times sending "n00bz" to the posting guidelines. We have our beloved Sticky.

I, too, think that giving character concepts and sketches gives you better responses than giving full characters. I have posted some full characters needing some fine tuning on the old 339, and got almost nothing xP.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]