Author Topic: Ephemera: Prologue  (Read 16091 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Ephemera: Prologue
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
Nealorn:
[spoiler]Yes you can take 10, but it will take longer. You don't see much of anything that looks threatening or the like.

Alter Self is more or less the same. There are no flying humanoids that you know of, though, if that is what you are thinking.[/spoiler]

The woman's eyes rolls back and she goes limp. A quick check will show that she is still alive.

Leonardo:
[spoiler]From your Heal check: The woman has suffered a gut wound and had probably had the wound for a while. In your travels, you have seen this before. The wound had festered, and even though you have closed it, the poisons and rot would still be present. Mere healing spells would not have removed those. Even the hardiest of constitutions would succumb to a gut wound within days. It is very likely that she will die in terrible agony within the day. Two at the most.

It is 70 miles just to go back to the tunnel entrance to Ironhold. This is over some pretty rough terrain. It took you guys a weeks just to get this far, and you were making pretty good time.[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 08:16:52 PM »
Ah, shit. This is bad, really bad.

"We're around... say, 70 miles of so to the tunel. How much there is left to travel until we reach the professor, I cannot say at the moment. It'll take a very long time to get back now."

Problem is that we won't make it back in time, no matter what we do.

"Unless you possess some very clear insight and considerable arcane powers, we won't make it back in time to rescue her."
He swallows.

I can't lie to her. The only thing I can do is to give her a swift death, instead of an agonising one.

His voice drops, trying not to awaken her. His tone, unlike the soft, calm voice he used to speak with the woman, this one is more cold, more matter-of-fact. A tone from a man that have been in this position before and which don't like it.

"I've healed her wounds, but they have become infested. There's nothing I can do about the infection."
God, I hate this. It doesn't get any easier the third time I have to do this. Horseshit!

"She'll be dead within the day, two at most."
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
This is not good.

Nealorn finally releases the woman's hand and turns to Leonardo.
I can't help her.  If I thought it was possible, I'd try to run her back to the city back there, but my spell doesn't last nearly as long as it would take.  I see no way that we could save her.

There's a miniscule chance that we could save the child, but there is an overwhelmingly larger chance that the child, if it survives, will be horribly damaged, disfigured, or otherwise permanently harmed.  Complications like that would likely require constant attention and this child won't even have a mother to rely on...

He pauses for a second to let his words sink in.

We have a job and a responsibility already.  This is an unfortunate loss of two lives.  If we wait here for much longer, we risk losing far more lives and worse: the information that they collected.
I know I come across as too cold, but we need to hurry, and there is almost nothing we can do for these here.

Later, after we see to the safety of Terrias and his group, we can search out the evil that did this.

Until then, it may be best to put this from our minds.

Burying them would take too long.  Plus we could use this as a marker for later... if a gruesome one.

If you can rouse the woman, I say she should choose her fate, but if not...

I may have to end her misery...

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 06:48:19 PM »
OOC:
[spoiler]The baby is dead. Still inside the mother, though. Lesser Vigour won't bring it back to life, not after a spear through it for a day or so.[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 07:26:15 PM »
"Oh, dear mr. elf, on the contrary. I don't think you come across too cold, I've been in these situations before. I don't think it will come as a suprise to you that I loathe them."

Leonardo spits, growling something uncomprehencable and continues.

"You and I are of one mind. She has the right to know. However, I must say that the possibility of the fiends behind this might also threaten the professor. After all, the trace comes from that direction. Which makes the need for a swift push onwards all the greater."

He looks down on the woman, and try to wake her up.

If she does:
[spoiler]
"Ma'am? I have grave news. Whilst I healed your wounds, you have attracted an infection. That's what causing your pain. Unfortunetly, I'm very sorry to say this..."
he swallows.
"But your life is still fleeting away. I've bought you some time, but you'll be dead within a day. All we can do for you, is to make sure you will not suffer much longer"
His tone caries the weight of what he is saying. There is no misstake of what he is proposing.[/spoiler]

If she doesn't:
[spoiler]
"She's not responding. We don't have time for her to regain her senses." He speaks with a disgusted voice. "Bastards, fiends the lot of them."

Lonardo sighes, takes a breath and speaks anew, this time his voice portraying no emotions whatsoever.

"Will you do it, or shall I? Make no misstake, I would prefer not, but we both know there's no other choice."
I don't know if it comes easier for men of his profession. I won't refuse this, but I don't want to do this. Not once more.
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »
Leonardo:
[spoiler]She doesn't wake up and seem to have slipped into some sort of feverish dream (sweating, muttering in her sleep, etc.).[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
For ease of death, I think you should do it.  I don't have a sword.  I could try to snap her neck, but I'm not terribly strong either.

Nealorn stands up from his crouch and points.

I'm going to arrange a marker on the far side of this camp to indicate which direction the things that did this went.  We may be able to hunt them down.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »
Leonardo points towards east.
"Go ahead."

He lifts up the woman slightly, tipping her head down, towards the ground so that her throat and underside of her jaw is exposed.

A swift, clean cut. Severing the windpipe and spine.
It will be over in the fraction of a second.

He draws his scimitar, makes sure he is aligned correctly and mutters a short prayer.

"Oh, great spirits of the wild, accept this, your daughter into thine arms. Let her reunit with her child. Met anew, her husband.
Let her play with the cougars in the sun, hunt with the wolves at night, swim with the dolphins in seas so clear, run with the deer; wind rushing through her hair.
Oh great spirits, accept this, your daughter into thine arms.
It was not ment to be, her entry into thine realm so early. Yet, what must be must be."

Care for her, my brothers and sisters.

One final look upon the woman.

I'll avenge you, I promise.

He swings the blade.
[spoiler]Coup de grace, scimitar d6x2 damage. 5x2= 10 damage. That ought to do it.[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »
Leonardo:
[spoiler]
d6x2 means you roll the d6 twice, not roll d6 once and multiply the roll by two.

Either way, it is not enough to send her hp to -10.
[/spoiler]

The blade comes down hard, but with not enough force to sever the spine. Not that it matters. The cut sliced through carotid and jugular, sending sprays of blood into the air that pulses with her heartbeat. She starts gurgling as the blood finds its way into her opened windpipe, but it is mercifully brief. It is over within thirty seconds, the flow of blood slowing to a trickle. She never regained consciousness.

Everyone:
[spoiler]So, what do you guys want to do now?[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:12 AM »
OOC[spoiler]Wouldn't she also have to make a Fort save DC 10+damage?  She might still have died instantly...

I'm for moving forward again, but I'd like to know if the third person will join us, or if we can invite another.
2 people seems like it's going to have some heavy tactical weaknesses.  But I could be wrong.[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »
OOC
[spoiler]Right. I knew that.  :-[
I want to continue the tracks, as quick as possible. Everything interesting (professor, murderers, excavation site etc.) all lies in the same direction.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
OOC:
[spoiler]Let's continue for now. Atrocity can join in whenever.

One thing to note, the map that you were given was basically just a line drawn on an existing map of Ephemera. That means it is not too accurate in terms of the exact line of where Terrias was going. The tracks is in the same general direction.[/spoiler]

The tracks that you are following indicate that whoever that enacted the massacre is travelling at a fairly fast clip. Now and then, you get a small blood trail, but you don't need them. The tracks are pretty obvious to even the most inexperienced of novices.

Leonardo:
[spoiler]You will notice that, from the stride length, whatever it was headed towards the camp at a much faster rate than leaving it.

You think that with your enhanced speed, you would be able to catch up to them by day's end.[/spoiler]

The trail smashes through the undergrowth, trampling it underfoot or roughly pushing it aside. Once again, there is an eerie lack of animal sounds. It is as if all the animals are hiding in their lairs waiting for something terrible to pass. The trail leads to a small canyon about 10 feet across at the bottom, with side walls at a 60-80 angle from horizontal about the height of two men. Thick undergrowth cover the walls and further up, and used to cover the bottom as well, but those have been trampled too. The canyon winds to the right less than 50ft in, cutting off your line of sight.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
As they run along, the scout ponders.

Why am I not suprised. Rushing to the debautchery, gloating and satisfied leaving it.

He ducks under a fallen tree and continue running.

We are a bit undermanned, in regards to how many there seem to be.

Dodging a branch here, a hole there, he keeps up the pace.

However, we'll get them.

"So, what do you think we're chasing?"

His tone cuts through the almost complete silence, mixing with the low sounds of running.
Turning slightly left, he sights the trail into the canyon

That could be an uncomfortable place to get assaulted.

Upon entering the canyon, he looks to and forth, looking for any signs of trouble

[spoiler]Spot 23, 15+8 ranks[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »
Nealorn looks over at the scout who's leading him.

Well, I thought we were chasing down Terrias's group.  As for what decimated the camp back there, I figure it to be some sort of orc raiding party.  I figure an orc shaman might have been able to create that weird shiveled-up sort of death, and orc's aren't known for their manners so much as their cruelty.

Nealorn continues running, trying to keep his mind clear.

One foot in front of the other.  Come on!  One foot in front of the other.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 01:00:18 AM »
OOC:
[spoiler]
The footprints were too big to be orcs.
[/spoiler]

Leonardo:
[spoiler]The canyon is dark, so you don't see too much. In the dim light you do make out something fluttering on a twig. It is a piece of cloth, maybe ripped from someone's clothing when they marched past.[/spoiler]

The sun is blocked by the hills/mountains to either side. Whatever little light there is quickly disappear as the party enter the canyon. Maybe it is the stillness of the canyon, or maybe because of its cramped nature, but you detect a faint smell of unwashed bodies. The smell is vaguely familiar, but the exact nature eludes the both of you for the moment. One thing is for sure, whatever that went through here broke branches a good nine feet up the sides of the canyon.

OOC:
[spoiler]Hope someone brought torches...[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 02:17:29 AM »
Nealorn takes a look around at the rapidly fading light.

How much longer are we going to be moving?  I'd normally be able to provide light for about an hour, but right now, I'd be lucky to light a twig.
I suppose we could try to make a torch or a fire, but it might give away our position, or something to that effect.
Your thoughts on the matter?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »
"I won't argue against orcs, though obviously they have some bigger friends. Ogres probably. Maybe trolls, but they don't tend to do things like these. Not that I know of, at least"

His matter-of-fact tone seems a little out of place, as if a bunch of ogres or trolls weren't something to be alarmed by.

He starts moving towards the twig, or what looks like one.

"There's no point in over-extending ourselves. I think we can slow down for a short while."

Leonardo slows his pace. A little bit.

"My eyes are begining to tire, mr. elf. Whilst a source of light wouldn't be uncomfortable, there is the grim truth that a faint light source will mess up my darkvision. I can't go on like this for long". Not if I have to track them.

He chuckles quietly.

"Though I have to admit that I don't think you need me for that, I trust your competence in seeing such tracks by yourself".

They aren't hard to miss, anyway.

His voice drops a fraction.

"So I have a proposal. I'll lead the way as long as I can and then you'll take the lead. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that you and your kine have a superior nightvision to us humans."

After being silent for a short while, he adds:

"And yes. A light source might reveal ourselves, if there is indeed anyone or anything there to observe it.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
OOC:
[spoiler]Let me know when you guys are going to go into the canyon, how you are doing it, etc. I believe neither of you can see in the dark? It will be pretty much like that, so unless you got darkvision, chances are, you need a light source of some sort.[/spoiler]

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
OOC
[spoiler]We're going with Shadowhunter's plan: Right along the bottom.  Me first, Leonardo just behind.
*I assume the light would have to be behind me for me to get the benefit of Low Light Vision.[/spoiler]

Nealorn notices the lantern hanging off of Leonardo's pack and says Stealth be damned; time is of the essence.  If you use that lantern, I should be able to see decently well, so long as you don't get in front of me.  Lets go.

He pauses just long enough to let Leonardo light the lantern, and then he leads the dash into the canyon.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2008, 02:49:44 AM »
OOC:
[spoiler]Lowlight vision is automatic. You just see twice as far by torch/lantern light than people without LLV. It doesn't have to be anywhere.[/spoiler]

The canyon is fairly easy to traverse. The big booted feet of the raiders have trampled most things flat, so you do not run the risk of tripping even at high speeds. The narrow confines of the canyon continues for about half a mile and then it widens out considerably (30-40ft across depending on place). Vegetation here is scrub-like, with small patches here and there. The ground has turned sandy. It would appear that the rains do not penetrate this deep into the canyon. The tracks go around the patches of scrub instead of through them.

Nealorn:
[spoiler]Here and there, you see drops of red blood along the trail you are following. None of them are consistent enough to make you think someone is bleeding constantly, but it might indicate a wound being aggravated.[/spoiler]

Up ahead, the canyon turns sharply to the right. Faint flickering light reflect from the ground and walls of the canyon, the origin out of sight around the bend.

Everyone:
[spoiler]Can I please have a Listen check?[/spoiler]

Something humanoid looking moves across the light source, traced by its massive shadow against the light.