Author Topic: Cloud Storage for Music?  (Read 2580 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Cloud Storage for Music?
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »
As some of you know, my house burned down and my music collection was inside of it.  I used to be the kind of person that wanted a physical copy of all of my cd's, but given that I was given a computer that had a friend's entire music collection (which I narrowed down to about 200 cds that I actually want to keep) I think it is time to move away from that kind of mindset.  I'll probably still end up with some physical cds, just not a copy of all of them.

This means that I need an effective way for me to transfer my music between computers, as well as have a backup in case my computer crashes and I want to still have access to my music.

I only know of two services that do what I want.  There is the Amazon cloud storage.  You only get 5 gigs for free (I currently have 25 gigs of music) but all mp3s you buy from amazon are automatically added to the storage without taking up your assigned space and there is this deal going on.    Amazon mp3s are also free of drm, which makes me happy.

Then there is Google Music which is in beta and I know absolutely nothing about.

What other options are there?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Cloud Storage for Music?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
Google music is a set number of titles (20k) regardless of size. The main issue is that it is a cloud player primarily. You can't just download it back to your device. You can add and delete from them but can't download at all. I can send you an invite if you need one, but I don't think it is what you want.

google cloud pricing
amazon S3 cloud pricing

take a look at these. I'm seeing at least 2 with "free" 50gb limits.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
dropbox is 2g free
outlook.com is 2g free, i think.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
also you can mount (or at least you could, idk if you really still can) your gmail as a drive and just use it as raw storage.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.