Author Topic: Handy links: Map to the world of Minmaxing  (Read 146225 times)

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Handy links: Map to the world of Minmaxing
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 04:37:11 PM »
So it seems. I'll approach them and see if someone feels like going for it.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 03:56:52 PM »
A great idea indeed, I really enjoyed the stuff.

Handy Links

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »
So far JaronK gave me a "Maybe when I have the time" and Caelic hasn't responded. I didn't ask Tsuyoshi to avoid redundancy.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:53 AM »
Tsuyo might still do it, and if nothing else, you can always ask for their permission to just copy/paste it over, long as you credit each post/idea to the proper person.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »
Tsuyo might still do it, and if nothing else, you can always ask for their permission to just copy/paste it over, long as you credit each post/idea to the proper person.

The problem is, it lacks a cohesive thread so it would pretty much need to be written by someone, as a sort of summary; I have no issues with copy-pasting anything, but copy-pasting 200 posts seems rather pointless. I'd do it myself, but as I said, there're so many points I'm not sure of that I'd rather not, since I'd need to be reading rule books for hours to figure it all out myself (mostly all the Cohort/AC/Mount/Familiar stackings involved and on which rules they're based)

I asked Tsuyo too and he said he's into 4E right now, but it may change later. So two "Maybe"s and one No Answer.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:12:17 PM by Eldariel »

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
Yet another update. I added the following threads:
-Monk's Handbook by dman11235.
-Races handbook by dman11235
-3.5 Psion Buildguide and Compendium by carnivore by carnivore and transported here by Archmage Joda.
-Ultimate Magus by Phoenix00 and transported here by Korwin.
-List of Save-or-be-Screwed Spells [PHB, SpC, FrB, SnS, BoED, CM, PH2] by Cube.
-[CO Project] Pure SRD Builds by Dictum Mortuum.

Missing anything worth mentioning?

Handy Links

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »
Consolidated Barbarian Handbook?  :D

Consolidated Barbarian Handbook Link
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Gorbash

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
Stuff from Wizards of the Coast's CO boards
-The CO boards compilation in PDF by Antarx.

Anyone has this? The link is broken.
I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2008, 02:44:38 PM »
Are you sure it is not only deactive just like the rest of the board at the moment?

Handy Links

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »
I bet you thought this was dead already! You were wrong! I cannot emphasize enough how much I would appreciate if you posted your precious creations here. Preferably stuff that leads to threads on this forum. Cheers.

Handy Links

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »
I've ranted about this before, but I'll be unemployed in two weeks, so I decided that then I will go through builds on this board and start a section for stuff I personally love. I already added Lockdown 3.0 (courtesy of ubernoob).

Handy Links

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »
Someone should save the Alternate Class Feature thread. I'd hate to have it eaten by gleemax.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »
I wish to respectfully request this thread be added (even if a bit of it falls closer to TO than CO):

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2287.0

No, I'm not promoting myself. Why do you ask?  :P
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
I'll update this tomorrow. Tonight I am both too goddamn tired and jolly well wasted.

Handy Links

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
How about including my "lists of stuff"? I consider that one of my more valuable contributions to CO. A link to the mango index is also useful (both found in my sig).
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
Can I make another request to put the Levels of Optimisation somewhere? They are frequently used, but there is no explanation of them anywhere for newcomers.

Quote from: JanusJones
0 - Willful Bonehead: "I'm a ROLE-player!" Misses the point of the Stormwind Fallacy, and will ignore optimal design choices entirely.  Often stubbornly against the very idea of optimization.  Frequently uses terms like "munchkin" and "min/maxer" to describe those who do optimize, and "role-player, not ROLL-player" about him/herself.  Sees the idea of playing a character with a story somehow antithetical to systemological considerations about function (e.g., "My Wizard took WP Focus because he got a dagger from his dad that symbolizes his clan and heritage, and he uses it whenever possible - even though he's not the best melee fighter!").  These guys have trouble understanding that a Ninja isn't a Ninja because he SAYS he is a Ninja (or his class is CALLED Ninja), but because he can hide in shadows, turn invisible, strike at pressure points, climb walls like a spider, disguise himself, etc.

1 - Greenhorn: "Wait - what do you mean I take an Aoo?  What's that?" Has a sub-optimal or incomplete understanding of the rules, but is open to the idea of optimization (though he or she may find more optimal builds somewhat intimidating).  Doesn't know what works together well - but will generally attempt to make choices to improve his or her character.  Be nice to them - we all were there once, and they're willing to learn - remember, Greenhorns are the optimizers of the future!

2 - Novice: "Aww . . . he's cute!  Like a puppy!" Has either gained knowledge from the boards or figured out some decent choices on his or her own.  This is the level at which some basic understanding of what works and doesn't work is put into practice; low-level casters take spells like Glitterdust and Color Spray, melee types ignore choices like WP Focus in favor of Power Attack and classes granting pounce, etc.  The level at which most informed gamers play.

3 - Practical Optimizer: "Slick" This is the level at which optimizers enjoy respect without starting to seem too threatening.  Players at this level have gone beyond "basic" strategy to consider larger-picture character design goals.  A Practical Optimizer tends to plan his or her character's development from the starting level of play through level 20, taking into consideration feat, maneuver, class, and ability choices to attempt to optimize effectiveness at most levels.  Has an extensive knowledge of not only basic rules, but of supplemental rules (Incarnum, Martial Adepts, Psionics, etc.), and tends to be consulted by other players for advice on "tricks" that can allow for cross-book (and even cross-setting) synergies that prove extra effective.

4 - Creative Optimizer: "Mild Cheddar" Sharp, tangy, and a lovely complement to any sandwich - providing you have the palate!  A Creative Optimizer's builds become even more elaborate by using "tricks" - bags full of explosive runes, necromantic exploding rat-bags, dust eggs from Oriental Adventures, Font of Inspiration for tons of standard actions on a Factotum, Frozen Wildshape for Cryo-Hydra form on Druids, etc.  Tricks at this level are unquestionably legal, but often intimidate inexperienced DMs, and can prove difficult to balance without a party of similarly savvy players - the level at which some people start to get annoyed with you, and their unspoken rules prejudices come to the fore (in other words, because what you do is CREATIVE, not the standard level 3 Druid, they start saying no, but providing no logical reason why not).  This is the level at which "new" or "innovative" combinations of feats, spells, classes, and abilities start to emerge.

5 - Theoretical Optimizer: "Limburger" This is when the stink of cheese gets overpowering (but many prefer strong flavors!).  At this level of optimization, the flimsy fallacy of "balance" in d20 falls completely apart.  Optimizers operating at this level ferret out the semantic and systemological faults of the rulebooks and exploit them, doing the equivalent of a post-modernist deconstruction of the game.  Builds at this level take advantage of infinite loops, untyped bonuses (such as aid another), or unclear wording, and often result in new "world records."  This kind of optimization is pure mental exercise, and is almost never suited for any kind of practical play.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
I am a Mild Cheddar who wishes he was Limburger and Slick at the same time. (AKA I wish I had the creativity of a Limburger but the not-so-obsessed with optimization of a Slick.)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email

Handy Links

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email