Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343335 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #840 on: October 06, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »
Q325: Could an undead wizard with the Spell Drain feat (Libris Mortis) cast Mordenkanen's Lucubration to regain the spelldrained spell after using it once?

Q326: I've got a question about the "More Spawn" class ability of the Master Vampire PrC from Libris Mortis.  It says it increases the HD of spawn that the vampire can have under control to twice his HD + Cha mod (example, 10HD vamp with 18 Cha can have 28 HD of vamp spawn controlled).  But the vampire template doesn't limit the HD of the spawn under control of a top vampire; it only limits the number of individuals the vampire may control as equal to twice the top vampire's HD.

At any given time a vampire may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice

So, which is it?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:24:42 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #841 on: October 06, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »
Q327: Was it the Force enchantment that allows arrows to pass right through Wind Walls and still have their full effects?

Q328: Was it the Seeking enchantment that provides the only means of ignoring miss chances that are not concealment such as the Ring of Entropic Deflection?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #842 on: October 06, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »
A 327 No, but you can always ask your DM since it's not 100% clear.

A 328 Yes. (Though I'm not sure about the "only" part.)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #843 on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
Q329: How does the Leadership feat interact with LA and ECL?  Leadership is based on your "level."  Does that mean your HD, or your ECL?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #844 on: October 06, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
A 324b

Ten levels in Walker in the Waste (Sandstorm 89ff) ought to do the job as well. You gain the Dry Lich template, which can be applied to any living creature (as Warforged are), and the class itself does not specify any further restrictions to gaining the template.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #845 on: October 06, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »
A 327 No, but you can always ask your DM since it's not 100% clear.

A 328 Yes. (Though I'm not sure about the "only" part.)

Well, it's a force effect. Also, I'm the DM. Clearly I cannot ask myself.

I say only because the others specify concealment, which Entropic Deflection is not.

Only ranged weapons can have the seeking ability. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)

Strong divination; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true seeing; Price +1 bonus.

Ignores all miss chances. Concealment is only listed as an example. It also implies it ignores total concealment, something that the other methods also do not do.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #846 on: October 06, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »
Q330 What book is the spell reprieve chain of feats that give back a school of magic in?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #847 on: October 06, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »
A 327b If it really becomes a force effect... is it Sp or Su ? There's no mention of SR, so probably Su... but does it wink out in an AMF ? Is it still an arrow ? If it isn't Manyshot & co don't apply anymore, if it is then Wind Wall stops it...
It's what I called an "underspecified ability" - we're not told enough about it. Since you're the DM... make a ruling.

A 328b I simply wanted the answer to be thorough ; I wouldn't be surprised if there were spells somewhere that duplicated that effect.

A 330 Lost Empires of Faerun. Check out the Feat Index before asking...
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #848 on: October 06, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »
A 329: Everything about Leadership should be based on ECL.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #849 on: October 06, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »
Q331: I think I once saw a Sage Advice saying you can take ten in knowledge checks even in combat. Is this true or is it impossible to take ten in knowledge checks while in combat, even though they require no action?

Handy Links

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #850 on: October 07, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »
A 331 I could see it working but I've never heard of it. Taking 10 is impossible under stress - it doesn't have much to do with action cost (unlike taking 20).

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #851 on: October 09, 2008, 11:29:31 PM »
Q332: Is there any good way for a Psion (or Erudite) to learn the level 9 Discipline Powers of other disciplines? EK and Erudite learning only allow for highest level -1, so those are out. The research option is the only thing I've seen that might work, but that relies heavily on DM fiat.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #852 on: October 09, 2008, 11:46:38 PM »
A 332 Other than what you mentioned: Psychic Chirurgery.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #853 on: October 10, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
Thanks. The problem is that that is, in fact, a level 9 Discipline Power. So the way to learn them all is to manifest Psychic Chirurgery and teach others Psychic Chirurgery so they can teach you their level 9s. As convoluted as that is, it works.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #854 on: October 10, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
Q333: If a character with a Vicious weapon hits a mirror image, does that count as hitting an opponent (and taking backlash)?

Q334: If a character with unholy aura active on them has one of their mirror images struck by a good aligned character, does it potentially strength damage them?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #855 on: October 10, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »
A 333 No RAW answer, methinks. I'd say "yes" because  "strikes" (in the Vicious text) is closer to "hits" than "damages".

A 334 No.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #856 on: October 13, 2008, 03:55:43 AM »
Q335: Untyped bonuses from identical abilities from different sources, do they stack? Stuff like Wild Shape Ranger's speed increase with Barbarian, or the Improved Stonecunning of Dwarven Paragon with that of the Dark Hunter. My gut says no, but I want to be sure before I make a ruling on it.
This space intentionally left blank.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #857 on: October 13, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
Q336: Besides MoMF, are there any other options whatsoever to Wildshape into Monstrous Humanoids?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: October 13, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »
A 335: Yes, they do stack.

A 336: None that I know of... (which is hardly definitive)
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #859 on: October 13, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
Q337 Does the channel spell ability of Ordained Champion allow you to ignore the material components of the spell?