Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343366 times)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2008, 12:08:37 AM »
Q203: This question will be referencing Psionic Lion's Charge from the SRD, so I have quoted it below. The question is at the end of this post, while the "evidence" needed to form a conclusion comes before it.
Now, because it has an instantaneous duration, rather than a 1 round duration, or a "See Text" duration specifying that it ends at the end of your turn, I looked carefully at the entry for instantaneous durations:
Quote from: SRD
The psionic energy comes and goes the instant the power is manifested, though the consequences might be long-lasting.
Now, looking at the text, there are two effects, the primary effect, and the effect of the augment. You will notice that the primary effect says, "When you charge, you can make a full attack in the same round." It would not need to specify "in the same round" if it only applied in the current round. Looking at the augment, it says, "each of your attacks after a charge in the current round gains a circumstance bonus [...]." So the augment specifically notes that it occurs only in the current round, while the primary effect does not. With this in mind, my question is this: does a casting of Psionic Lion's Charge permanently grant the ability to make a full attack on a charge?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2008, 02:39:03 AM »
A203: RAW, your interpretation appears to be correct. The personal range, coupled with the need to have either levels in Psychic warrior, or ranks in Use Psionic Device make offsets the dipping a little...hell, just get it as a tattoo. Looks like a solid, non-errata'd find...
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #542 on: August 16, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »
A203: RAW, your interpretation appears to be correct. The personal range, coupled with the need to have either levels in Psychic warrior, or ranks in Use Psionic Device make offsets the dipping a little...hell, just get it as a tattoo. Looks like a solid, non-errata'd find...

I was thinking paying for spell (power) services would be rather easy, too, costing merely 80gp since there is no expensive material component (power level 2, so 20 x manifester level, which must be 4+ for a Psychic Warrior to have 2nd level powers, thus 80gp).

80gp for a permanent, non-dispellable Pounce ability looked really nice (and makes the Lion Totem Barbarian somewhat obsolete...).

Of course, you made me realize the personal range. So, yes, a tattoo seems the best solution.

This bumps the cost up to 300gp, but that's still a laughable expenditure for such a wonderful ability. Personally, I see it as a must-have for all melee characters, even if charging is not their primary function. The utility is just astounding.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:03:03 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #543 on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »
Q204: Is there any information on Paladin mounts, as in how to gain one other than the Warhorse. Other than the information given in the players handbook about asking your DM.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #544 on: August 16, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
A204: See DMG 3.5, pg......204! :D
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: August 16, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »
A204B: Draconomicon p 139 also has rules for a dragon as a special mount.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #546 on: August 17, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »
Q205: The mineral warrior/stony template in Underdark[page 97] gives you a slam attack usable once a day.  Considering that you can threaten with natural attacks, does this mean that if I take a reach weapon I do threaten all squares before I use the attack but don't threaten anymore once I do?  That's what it seems to be mechanically, but it does seem strange that my opponents would know whether or not I have used a slam attack sometime earlier this day and thus not feel threatened.

Q206: Can you put armor spikes on Bracers of Armor?

Q207: Do spiked gauntlets occupy the gauntlets slot making them impossible to wear with Gloves of Dex, etc?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:41:43 AM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #547 on: August 17, 2008, 01:45:48 AM »
Q205: The mineral warrior/stony template in Underdark[page 97] gives you a slam attack usable once a day.
Um.... it gives you a SMITE attack usable once per day.

Smite and slam are not the same thing.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #548 on: August 17, 2008, 01:47:34 AM »
A205: Solve your problems the easy way and grab Strength Devotion (Complete Champion) which gives you a natural slam attack.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: August 17, 2008, 01:53:47 AM »
A205: You could buy armor spikes, (+50gp to armor price) but I don't know if that lets you threaten 5ft away from yourself.

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #550 on: August 17, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »
Q208: Does wildshape and mountain rage stack?

Q209: Is the ranger's effective druid level for animal companions of half ranger level rounded up or down?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #551 on: August 17, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »
Q209: Is the ranger's effective druid level for animal companions of half ranger level rounded up or down?

A209 In D&D you always round down except if the text says otherwise.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: August 18, 2008, 07:04:01 AM »
Q210 PH2 has the Mad Foam Rager feat. What effects can it help against? ("attack, spell, or ability used against you")
a) all spells? or only spells that target me? E.g. Solid Fog: can I ignore the movement penalties and concealment for 1 round?
b) trip? grapple? swallow whole? - I charge, someone trips/grapples me as an AoO - what now? Can I finish my charge, next round attack again and at "the end of my next turn" I suddenly appear in the stomach of the (presumably already dead) creature?
c) can I delay friendly spells? any nasty tricks?
d) can I use the feat after learning the result of my saving throw and after learning the exact effect?

Vattic

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #553 on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »
is there anyway, besides taking class levels in cleric, that a warlock can somehow obtain the ability to turn/rebuke/command undead? items, feats, anything?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #554 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
Sacred Exorcist[CD] advances casting (and thus some warlock abilities) and grants turn undead.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #555 on: August 18, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »
Q206: Can you put armor spikes on Bracers of Armor?

Q207: Do spiked gauntlets occupy the gauntlets slot making them impossible to wear with Gloves of Dex, etc?
A 206: no
A 207: yes

Q208: Does wildshape and mountain rage stack?

A 208: yes
A 209: always round down unless otherwise indicated

is there anyway, besides taking class levels in cleric, that a warlock can somehow obtain the ability to turn/rebuke/command undead? items, feats, anything?
A 211:From my "lists of stuff" on CO...
[spoiler]Turn/rebuke Undead

grants turn/rebuke undead - anything that grants turning generally stacks
Cleric 1
Paladin 4
Blackguard 3, ecl, command or rebuke only
Sacred Exorcist 1, ecl 8, Complete Divine, turn only
Ur-priest 2, ecl 7, Complete Divine, rebuke only
Divine Mind 4, Complete Divine, class variant (here)
Dread Necromancer 1, base class, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Death Delver 1, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Chameleon 3, ecl 8, Races of Destiny, see text
Master of Radiance 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortin, turn only - unclear whether you gain turning or if it only stacks
Tenebrous, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic, unlimited use but see text
Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Apostle of Peace 1, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds
Soldier of Light 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods
Deadgrim 1, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron - unclear whethero you gain turning or if it only stacks

levels stack for turn/rebuke undead (ie: requires turn/rebuke to qualify for the PrC)
Radiant Servant of Pelor, ecl 7, Complete Divine
Warpriest, ecl 6, Complete Divine
Eldritch Disciple, ecl 6, Complete Mage
Paragnostic Apostle, ecl 3?, Complete Champion
Ordained Champion, ecl 4, Complete Champion
Master of Shrouds, ecl 4, Libris Mortis - rebuke only
Sacred Purifier, Libris Mortis - turn only
True Necromancer, Libris Mortis - rebuke only
Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror - turn only
Death Delver, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
Bone Knight, ecl 5, Eberron Five Nations, rebuke only
Deadgrim, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron
Eye of Horus-Re 1, ecl 7, Player's Guide to Faerun

Shaman
Yathrinshee, ecl ?, Player's guide to Faerun - rebuke only

Greater Turning
Sacred Purifier 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortis

Special Mention
Cleric 1, Azurin racial substitution, Magic of Incarnum - gain Channel Incarnum instead, but counts as turning for feats
Cleric 1, Dragonblood substitution level, Races of the Dragon, turn energy instead, counts as turning for feats
Spirit Shaman 2, Complete Divine - chastise spirits, see text
Binder...?
Exalted Turning, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, turned creatures take 3d6 damage
Druid Domains, Sun (UA, House Rule sidebar, pg 68) but only 1/day
Bone Talisman (Drd 2) spell online at Earthmother's Weapons (Druid Spells from the Moonshaes)
[/spoiler]

Q210 PH2 has the Mad Foam Rager feat. What effects can it help against? ("attack, spell, or ability used against you")
a) all spells? or only spells that target me? E.g. Solid Fog: can I ignore the movement penalties and concealment for 1 round?
b) trip? grapple? swallow whole? - I charge, someone trips/grapples me as an AoO - what now? Can I finish my charge, next round attack again and at "the end of my next turn" I suddenly appear in the stomach of the (presumably already dead) creature?
c) can I delay friendly spells? any nasty tricks?
d) can I use the feat after learning the result of my saving throw and after learning the exact effect?
A 210: Technically yes to all of the above. A sticky point might be 'c', since a friendly spell isn't used "against" you
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:57:29 PM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Vattic

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #556 on: August 19, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »
ah, many thanks Surreal. I was hoping for a feat or some kind of uber item that granted turning as my character is dedicated to his life as a warlock. still, thank you for your efforts, they are much appreciated!

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #557 on: August 20, 2008, 05:18:30 AM »
Q212: Aside from Dweomerkeeper, what non-epic methods exist to bypass costly material components?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #558 on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:10 AM »
A212 Shadowcraft Mages using Silent Image to emulate spells with 100% real-ness is one way.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #559 on: August 20, 2008, 07:01:14 AM »
Oh, right. I totally forgot about that. Hey, along a similar strand of thought:

Q213: If you can spontaneously convert spells into another spell (spell Y, let's say), can you bypass the material component of Spell Y that way?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]