Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342878 times)

Flash_Plasma

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #520 on: August 09, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »
Q196

does the paragon or pseudonatural templates in the Epic Level Handbook qualify you for epic feats, regardless of actual level?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #521 on: August 09, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »
A 195 They grant an armor bonus to AC, so... armor.
Well, they're affixed to the arms like a shield though...
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #522 on: August 09, 2008, 06:45:07 PM »
A 195 They grant an armor bonus to AC, so... armor.
Well, they're affixed to the arms like a shield though...
irrelavant .... look at the item

"Bracers of Armor: These items appear to be wrist or arm guards. They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus Armor... not Shields

:D

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #523 on: August 09, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
Q196 does the paragon or pseudonatural templates in the Epic Level Handbook qualify you for epic feats, regardless of actual level?

A 196 No. Why would they ?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
Q197: Can anyone think of an alternative feat for getting Dragon Wings (to the one in Races of the Dragon) without it being a feat that has to be taken level 1? We were working on refeating the Tarrasque with some friends and figured an Ex way to fly would be nice, but it needs Dragontouched to take Draconic feats and Dragon Wings has the prerequisite of taking it level 1, with it only being level 3 available for Dragonwrought Kobolds.

bigdaddy843

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #525 on: August 12, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »
Q198 as a DM, would you ever allow the following 3.0 feat in a 3.5 campaign? also, please explore its possible uses.

Furious Strength (General)

Prerequisites: Rage class ability.

Benefit: You can choose to forgo the normal benefits of rage for a single round of incredible strength. To use this feat, you must still be able to rage at least once during the current day. Furious Strength may be invoked whenever rage could be activated. When you use this feat, you gain a +20 bonus to Strength for a single action that can last no longer than one minute. This can be used to bash down an obstacle, lift an impossible heavy weight until your friends can run safely through, or deal tremendous damage to a foe with a single attack. After this action, you are fatigued for one minute, suffering the same effects as if you had just finished a rage.

I am unsure of the sourcebook, but it may be found in "Ultimate feats"

Thank You.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:13:25 AM by bigdaddy843 »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #526 on: August 12, 2008, 10:41:14 AM »
A 198: I would allow a modified version of that feat.  First, look at something in the Core rules that is comparable - the domain power of the strength domain.  It gives a cleric a 1-round boost of strength equal to his cleric level (so +1 enhancement bonus at first level, +20 at 20th level).

Now, in some ways this feat is better - it can last longer than one round for some things, but it is only good for one attack.  The strength domain ability could be good for several attacks in the one round in which it lasts.  Also, the feat isn't an enhancement bonus.

I'd say it would be a perfectly fine feat so long as you change the bonus to "a bonus to strength equal to your character level."  (or HD, rather than character level - they are the same thing, but HD leaves less room for misinterpretation.)

Alternatively, just allow the character to take a feat that grants the Strength domain, altering it only in that it works off of HD, rather than cleric level.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: August 12, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »
Q199: What feats other than leap of the heavens are good for jumpers?

bigdaddy843

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #528 on: August 12, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
Q198 II

If allowed, in what way would or would you as a DM) allow it the feat (as highlighted in Q198 and A 198) to synergise with greater rage?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #529 on: August 12, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »
Q198 II

If allowed, in what way would or would you as a DM) allow it the feat (as highlighted in Q198 and A 198) to synergise with greater rage?
A198 II: I wouldn't have it synergize.  The cost to activate the feat is a daily rage usage.  Just because you can get a greater benefit in a "normal" rage due to an increased class ability, does not mean you should get a bonus here.  You are still only spending a daily rage.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: August 12, 2008, 02:18:18 PM »
Q200 How would one use "Shock Trooper to keep your to-hit bonus with a full Power Attack"?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #531 on: August 12, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
Q200 How would one use "Shock Trooper to keep your to-hit bonus with a full Power Attack"?
A200: One of the combat options of the shock trooper feat is that you apply the power attack penalty to your AC, rather than your attack bonus.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #532 on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:30 AM »
Q197: Can anyone think of an alternative feat for getting Dragon Wings (to the one in Races of the Dragon) without it being a feat that has to be taken level 1? We were working on refeating the Tarrasque with some friends and figured an Ex way to fly would be nice, but it needs Dragontouched to take Draconic feats and Dragon Wings has the prerequisite of taking it level 1, with it only being level 3 available for Dragonwrought Kobolds.
A197

take the Dragonborn template.... one aspect gives Wings and Flight speed depending on HD

:D

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #533 on: August 13, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
A 199 The only thing I can think of is increasing your speed, but Dash is certainly not good.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #534 on: August 13, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
Q201

I'm building a Voce Warrior (see Hyperconscious), which is a psionic prestige class focusing on combat. Unfortunately, I've just noticed that their attack rolls with the weapon the class grants them are modified by their key ability score for manifesting, not Str or Dex. Is there any feat, item, spell, or anything of that nature that could override the class feature's description (by saying, "You may use your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls" or somesuch)? The weapon has no category such as light, one-handed, or two-handed, but it's extremely heavily implied that it is exotic, if that helps. A class dip is acceptable if it's only a few levels. I'm using the ranged version, so melee-only solutions are unhelpful.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #535 on: August 13, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »

Fleet of Foot regional feet from PGtF gives a +10 ft bonus to speed which will give a +4 on jump from increased speed.
There's also a Skill Trick from Complete Scoundrel to 1/encounter get +10 ft on a long jump if you jump at least 10 ft.

Battle Jump(Unapproachable East) also lets your jump count as a charge if you jump down from a certain height onto your opponent. If you can reliably trigger Battle Jump, other "charger feats" like Leap Attack(CAdv) and Shock Trooper(CWar) will do the trick.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #536 on: August 14, 2008, 02:38:05 AM »
Q202: I'm trying to remember a spell. I want to say I found it online in the Wizards articles, but I didn't see it under spellbook or under the far reaches. The spell connected two people by their shadows, and during the spell's duration, the victim was forced to copy all of the caster's movements. I wish I had more information; a name, a school, a spell level. Sorry. Anybody remember what this spell is called?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #537 on: August 14, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »
A199 III Another way to get a boost of speed is the Quickness trait in Unearthed Arcana.  Sadly, this costs you 1 HP per level.  If you want to offset that, you can take Improved Toughness, so, you end up with +10 feet for the cost of a feat and a trait, with a prereq of base Fort +2.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #538 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
A202: The Spell is Puppeteer in the SpC. Page 163. The spell's fluff mentions silvery light connecting you to the victim, but that's mutable.

I also seem to remember seeing some homebrew spell very similar to what you're describing while I was lurking on 339, too.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #539 on: August 15, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
A202 Part 2I think there is a spell like the one you are talking about in the Planescape setting if that helps at all. I'm kinda rusty with my Planescape though.