Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343311 times)

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
A122b: There's a feat called Combat Stability in the PHBII that gives you a +4 and eventually a +8 against disarms, trips, etc... But it's only really worth it if you take Combat Focus and Combat Vigor along with it.

As for spells, the lvl 2 spell Mountain Stance in the Spell Compendium gives you a bonus equal to caster level. And I'm not sure, AFB, but I think the spell Resinous Tar makes the floor sticky and makes you hard to move, Complete Mage perhaps? Psionics I can't help you with, never used them before. Hope this helps.

Yup, that does help. Mountain Stance may be exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to see what becomes of it.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2008, 10:54:37 PM »
A125: No hit point damage takes place, so no.

It could be counted as a "deformity," especially considering that there's a feat called "Deformity (Tall)."
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2008, 11:32:48 PM »
Should we discuss this here, or make a new thread?

If size changes count as damage, which the 'if, then' statement requires to fire (...if the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, then...'), then it works. I don't see that size changes count as damage, so the flesh to stone spell's clause doesn't look like it's a path to a 'free' permanent (effectively the same as instantaneous; as it's not dispellable) shrink item effect.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2008, 12:22:31 AM »
Q 120: Why can the Improved Cold Endurance feat (Frostburn) be taken up to 3 times, but the Improved Heat Endurance feat (Sandstorm) be taken only once?  Just because the writers didn't feel like being consistent?

Q 121: What other ways are there to increase Fire resistance via a permanent ability (feat preferred, but low-level class ability may be ok)? 

There is the Forgeheart feat from PGtF, but it's dwarf only, and there is the [Improved] Fire Heritage line in the Planar Handbook, but that's all I could find.
I'm guessing there is no other answer to Q 121...  Just thought I'd give it one last shot.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »
Should we discuss this here, or make a new thread?

If size changes count as damage, which the 'if, then' statement requires to fire (...if the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, then...'), then it works. I don't see that size changes count as damage, so the flesh to stone spell's clause doesn't look like it's a path to a 'free' permanent (effectively the same as instantaneous; as it's not dispellable) shrink item effect.

I'm not calling it damage. I'm classifying it as a "deformity" (as per the spell description). It's most certainly not "damage" (at least as far as hit point damage is concerned).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2008, 02:13:10 AM »
Q 120: Why can the Improved Cold Endurance feat (Frostburn) be taken up to 3 times, but the Improved Heat Endurance feat (Sandstorm) be taken only once?  Just because the writers didn't feel like being consistent?

Q 121: What other ways are there to increase Fire resistance via a permanent ability (feat preferred, but low-level class ability may be ok)? 

There is the Forgeheart feat from PGtF, but it's dwarf only, and there is the [Improved] Fire Heritage line in the Planar Handbook, but that's all I could find.

A121: How low of a level? Tiefling, or better yet lesser Tiefling (PGtF), provides Fire Resistance 5. DFA, and possibly warlock, have access to Energy Resistance 10 to any one type, as an invocation, at 6th level. And that's all I've got so far. Any help?
Camlen, Enniwey

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2008, 02:41:32 AM »
A 126: It is a standard action. Soothing Voice activates as bardic music, but just so happens to use a diplomacy check for the DC.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2008, 05:51:13 AM »
A121 I recommend checking the crystalkeep index of PrC, search for "fire" and then check each PrC in question if it can help you. Some PrC that grant immunity: Swift Wing 9, Elemental Savant 10... (not exactly low level though). Blazing Berserker feat gives fire immunity while in rage.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »
A121: How low of a level? Tiefling, or better yet lesser Tiefling (PGtF), provides Fire Resistance 5. DFA, and possibly warlock, have access to Energy Resistance 10 to any one type, as an invocation, at 6th level. And that's all I've got so far. Any help?
It can't be tied to race.  The goal is to add it to a Goliath to make a Half-fire giant for a norse campaign.  The Warlock doesn't have such an invocation (unless it is in Dragon Magic, which I do not yet own).  If it is the case in Dragon magic, it might be an option.  Not the direction I'd prefer to go with them, but it at least is another possibility.

In all truth, I don't NEED it to go higher than 5, I just wanted a little more parity between frost and fire giants.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2008, 12:13:38 PM »
A121: Among others, there's the Eberron Specific feat "Dragon Totem" that allows you to choose a Dragon-variety and get Energy Resistance 5 vs. it. It requires a region of origin, but no specific race.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
It can't be tied to race.  The goal is to add it to a Goliath to make a Half-fire giant for a norse campaign.  The Warlock doesn't have such an invocation (unless it is in Dragon Magic, which I do not yet own).  If it is the case in Dragon magic, it might be an option.  Not the direction I'd prefer to go with them, but it at least is another possibility.

In all truth, I don't NEED it to go higher than 5, I just wanted a little more parity between frost and fire giants.

Have you considered the half-giant race itself?  It has stat boosts almost as good as the goliath, fire resistance (or maybe just hot environment resistance, not sure), powerful built just like a goliath and are naturally psionic to boot (nice feats!)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »
Q 127:

Apart from taking levels in the Heir of Siberys PrC, are there any way to gain an Siberys Dragonmark?

Thinking of a Dragonfire Adept with the "Breath of Siberys" Feat from Eberron - Dragonmarked that gives an additional d6 to breath weapon damage and another d6 of you have any kind of Siberys Dragonmark.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
A127: No.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2008, 07:07:46 PM »
Q128: I'm working on an Ur-Priest and need a way to convert normal spell slots to Domain slots so I can cast the spells I get via Domains (using Contemplative among other things) more often. What are my options of doing this? (I'll check out the Cleric Handbook as well, just figured I'd ask here as well in case anyone has any other great ideas :))

Thanks in advance,
Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2008, 08:13:18 PM »
A 128 Domain Spontenuity Alternate class feature?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »
Have you considered the half-giant race itself?  It has stat boosts almost as good as the goliath, fire resistance (or maybe just hot environment resistance, not sure), powerful built just like a goliath and are naturally psionic to boot (nice feats!)

No psionics in this setting, and I fell in love with Goliath, over Half-giants, long ago.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: July 05, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »
A 128 Domain Spontenuity Alternate class feature?
Which is a Cleric ACF IIRC, I'm looking for something useful for an Ur-Priest/Contemplative ;)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #357 on: July 05, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
A121 (2): Become a Binder from Tome of Magic and bind Aym (1st level vestige, p25). You gain firey and Dwarf-y abilities which would fit a 1/2 fire jotun very well. Alternately, you can take TWO feats from the same book: Bind vestige, and Practiced binder. It's harder but no class abilities req'd, you get a ruinous attack and resist fire 10 (the 2nd ability from Practiced Binder). In either case, you have to re-bind after 24 hours, but the DC is only 15 and no special requirement. Likey?
Camlen, Enniwey

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #358 on: July 05, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »
That could work.  Same number of feats as Heat Endurance and Improved Heat Endurance.  I'll have to get my hands on Tome of Magic soon (been meaning to - just haven't had the opportunity yet.)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #359 on: July 06, 2008, 01:52:03 AM »
A128: The Extra Domain ruling on p.20 of Complete Divine allows you to prepare a domain spell once per day, but not more, for a non-cleric who gains domain access.  As it stands, I don't know of anything that allows you to convert normal spell slots to domain slots...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie