Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342883 times)

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »
Talking about aasimar...
Q95
The lesser tiefling and aasimar (pg 190 Players guide to Faerun) are treated as both humanoinds and outsiders.
In a scale of 1 to 10: How much does it suck?  :-\
Good gaming for you.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »
A95 0? I don't see the negatives in it... how many spells are actually targeted to outsiders? (/retorical question)
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
A95 0? I don't see the negatives in it... how many spells are actually targeted to outsiders? (/retorical question)
Alter Self... Dwarven Ancestor anyone?

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »
Q96: I'm AFB, and can't remember. If I were to apply the Dragonborn template to a Goliath, would I lose Powerful Build? If not, what would I lose?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »
A96. Yes If it's not a stat adjustment or something drived from your type/subtype, you lose it.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2008, 01:08:18 AM »
A96. Yes If it's not a stat adjustment or something drived from your type/subtype, you lose it.

This is not correct, as far as I remember, powerful built and slight built are specific exceptions to that rule.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2008, 01:17:29 AM »
A96 add on: Modes of movement and powerful build ARE retained, in addition to what I mentioned before. The rest is lost (good call, Rebel, my apologies).
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2008, 12:21:05 PM »
Really? Sick, that makes things much better than what I'd feared.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »
Q97:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:35:45 PM by Eldariel »

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #269 on: June 19, 2008, 01:41:46 PM »
Talking about aasimar...
Q95
The lesser tiefling and aasimar (pg 190 Players guide to Faerun) are treated as both humanoinds and outsiders.
In a scale of 1 to 10: How much does it suck?  :-\

You would lose martial weapon prof (derived from the outsider type), be susceptible to spells like charm person and hold person, as well as lose access to arguably more advantageous forms from alter self/polymorph. On the plus side, you can benefit from enlarge person...

Still a fairly strong choice given the stat bonuses you get. :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »
A 97...

a) I don't think so, other than weapon supremacy. There are probably other feats or class features out there that do something similar (I think there's one for daggers, but can't think of one for slams)

b) If you're using some sort of class feature or feat that increases your number of attacks, then simply follow those rules as applied to your slam (assuming you are using your slam as a primary attack). The only difference here is that you don't get to make your iterative attacks since the slam is a natural weapon.

c) DM territory here

d) By default, primary natural weapons deal +Str damage. Secondary deal +1/2*Str. In a few cases the primary will do 1.5*Str, but those are specifically mentioned (and are usually only  bites or gores). If you are using a weapon as a primary and using your slam as a secondary, then it will only do 1/2*Str.

e) It's usually only the unarmed damage. I think for monsters that have improved grab, they can deal the damage of the natural weapon which triggered the improved grab (can't remember the source for this though).

f) I can give a yes and no answer here. Technically the feat give your natural weapons the property. However (and I can't remember the source... Savage Species maybe?) if a creature has damage reduction, typically it's natural attacks will be able to overcome that same DR. In this case you have DR 2/adamantine, so you should be able to pierce that DR. This is arguable though, so check with your DM.

g) Yes, you threaten with your slams. No, you can't trip with your slams.

h) You are not actually wearing armor, but you are considered to be wearing one for the purposes of class abilities and whatnot. What you can and can not benefit from however is a debated point. People have argued that the barbarian example is due to poor editing, or people have argued the other way that the intent was for the barbarian to be able to recover his speed. Yet another "ask the DM" kind of thing.

i) Technically no. It's not actually armor, so you can't put those add-ons. Armor Enhancements are specifically called out as an exception. That said, it's certainly reasonable to do, but given that there are feats to do so, it's probably against the designer's intent. As for fortification, yes it would be redundant.

j) Can't really think of any good ones off the top of my head (check my index though; there might be stuff in the polymorph section). Constructs typically have high hd, but there might be some interesting warforged variants in the lesser Eberron splatbooks. I know there's at least one flying one somewhere.

bonus) Because you're taking a race which already breaks a lot of rules that the designers didn't entirely account for, you're mixing in natural attacks which are also poorly documented, and then you're throwing grappling on top, because apparently you're a masochist.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:25:09 PM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
A97:

b) Flurry: take all your iterative unarmed strikes normally (with -2 to hit for flurry), then all your natural attacks as secondary attacks (with -2 for flurry and -5 for secondary attack unlesss you have multiattack). Whirling frenzy: same as flurry. If you're using slams only then you just make another slam (or whatever primary attack).

c) No.

d) You deal +1.5*Str with a natural attack when it's your only attack. The previous rule is nowhere stated explicitly, but all monsters (as far as I've checked) follow it.

e) Once you're in grapple, you can attack with whatever weapon you have at hand.

f) By RAW, no. But you might talk your DM into it.

i) You enchant your plating as you would any other suit of armor. Whatever you can do to normal armor, you can do to plating. You can get armor spikes by going into Warforged Juggernout prestige class. As for nonmagical addons, I see no reason why couldn't you screw or weld something onto you. In fact, in Faiths of Eberron there's a sect of warforged that wander Mournland trying to build a god. Their priests weld god-parts onto themselves.

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »
A97e: Yes.

A97g: No, you need at least one arm free to make the slam attack.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2008, 09:51:47 PM »
Q98: I know this is a dumb, dumb question, but I can't find it anywhere.  Where are the stats for using Monster Manual races as PCs?

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
A98: The stats aren't typed out anywhere, but generally you can count monsters' stat adjustments by simply subtracting 10 from the even and 11 from the odd numbers in its stat block. Humanoid warriors tend to use non-elite array (13/12/11/10/9/8), but monsters have simple 11/10/11/10/11/10. This is all spelled out page 6-7 under "Abilities" at the start of Monster Manual I.

Morokael

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »
A97:
d) You deal +1.5*Str with a natural attack when it's your only attack. The previous rule is nowhere stated explicitly, but all monsters (as far as I've checked) follow it.

Pg 299 of the Monster Manual - "Natural Weapons: A creature's attack gets the creature's full strength damage bonus from Strength, or 1.5 times the Strength bonus if it is the creature's sole natural weapon."

So you're absolutely right, and now you have the reference to prove it. >; - )

as part of A97, pg 299 of the Monster Manual is full of handy info for this warforged question, most of which has been explained above. Check both the "Attack" and "Full Attack" sections, and read carefully. >; - )

Unfortunately, I can't find this information listed in the SRD.

-Mike

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2008, 05:14:35 AM »
Q 99 : What class mesh well with a Warblade in a Gestalt build?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:16:10 AM by tusk »

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2008, 05:21:59 AM »
Q 99 : What class mesh well with a Warblade in a Gestalt build?
A99: Nearly anything that wants to get into melee. Cleric and Druid produce some brutal melee machines. Bard covers all your saves, and White Raven + Inspire Courage/Heroism is a very strong support character. Rogues love Tiger Claw and Time Stands Still, while a gishy Wizard or Psion has strong Intelligence synergy.

Really, whatever you want. What sort of character are we talking about?
I know gameology-fu.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #279 on: June 20, 2008, 05:55:27 AM »
A 99. CantripN has a gestalt warblade//factotum build over on gleemax's 3.5 board. It's a great fit.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook