Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343307 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1840 on: February 05, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
Thanks Negative Zero, that's really helpful.  I barely ever make spellcasters so I'm horrible at figuring out what metamagic to use.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1841 on: February 05, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »
Q654 (I got the number wrong last time ;p)

Thanks, if you have any advice... i'm not sure what to make yet. I'm rolling a level 14 character, 32pt buy, all stats begin at 10. DMM is not allowed, so i'm thinking

Archivist 11, Spelldancer 1(For DMM by dancing), Contemplative 1, Something else....

(Well technically it's right. I think there are duplicates of 648, 649 and 650.)

I also don't think "help me with this build" is a simple question.

That aside, you may want enter spelldancer earlier. If you want more advice, make a new thread.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:40:56 AM by Emy »

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1842 on: February 05, 2009, 02:54:26 AM »
Q655: Is there anything in the RAW that makes a Jump check require contact with the ground?

edit because I don't think this deserves a new post
I was going to use jump checks for something far more reasonable than flying Thri-keen: letting flying dragons use Leap Attack.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:44:18 AM by Emy »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1843 on: February 05, 2009, 03:05:07 AM »
A655: Looking at the PHB definition of the skill, the word 'ground' never appears. Short of using the dictionary definition of the word jump to imply the ground, I do not see any evidence that Jump checks require that you be on the ground. In fact, I don't see anything preventing you from jumping in mid-jump.

Well, that's it. Look what you've gone and done, Emy. Now Thri-Keen can fly.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1844 on: February 05, 2009, 03:06:50 AM »
I think the logical interpretation would be that it requires contact with a surface.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1845 on: February 05, 2009, 03:09:02 AM »
Logic is RAI. We're talking RAW here.

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #1846 on: February 05, 2009, 04:51:47 AM »
A655: Of course you can jump from midair! As long as you have something to push yourself off. Air Walk comes to mind. Or a winged flying creature can "jump" through a narrow passage, doing one last stroke before folding wings and diving through. Also, a swimming creature can jump out of water. Or a burrowing or earthgliding creature can burst out of ground.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1847 on: February 05, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »
A655: Of course you can jump from midair! As long as you have something to push yourself off. Air Walk comes to mind. Or a winged flying creature can "jump" through a narrow passage, doing one last stroke before folding wings and diving through. Also, a swimming creature can jump out of water. Or a burrowing or earthgliding creature can burst out of ground.
Even better, a silver dragon can jump from a cloud.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1848 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
A high enough balance check lets you balance on air, which would in theory allow you to use air as a springboard for jumping even higher... :p
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1849 on: February 05, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »
A655:

Unless you want people double-jumping and air-dashing in your games, Jump requires a surface to jump off of.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #1850 on: February 05, 2009, 11:31:11 AM »
A655:

Unless you want people double-jumping and air-dashing in your games, Jump requires a surface to jump off of.

I they can reliably make the balance DC for treating air as a solid surface (even clouds are what, DC 80?), I'd have no problem with it.  :lol

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #1851 on: February 05, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »
This is now the greatest idea for a build ever. I must make this build! It'd be like Megaman X!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1852 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
A655:

I they can reliably make the balance DC for treating air as a solid surface (even clouds are what, DC 80?), I'd have no problem with it.  :lol
Nope, clouds are 120. Way too easy. :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #1853 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »
Nope, clouds are 120. Way too easy. :P

And air itself would be another step above. Nothing too extreme, of course, but something most that don't have a way to do it better would be doing too early in the game.

spectre3541

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #1854 on: February 05, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »
Q656: What is the highest possible Max Dex bonus on a suit of armor. I ask because I want to add the elemental resistance and silent moves properties to it while retaining the highest possible dex bonus. I know that Bracers of Armor have "infinite" max dex, but is there anything that is real armor with max Dex higher than 10?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1855 on: February 05, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »
Could try messing with the really light armors and Nimble, but you'd be better off just using the Bracers. If you want special properties there's an item somewhere for that. I forget the name though.

Edit: Silversilk apparently. Still don't know the source though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:44:31 PM by Sunic_Flames »
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1856 on: February 05, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »
A656: use a +1 Gnome Twistcloth(Races of Stone) which has no Max Dex and then add armor abilities to it. For actual AC, Bracers of Armor. Don't worry about it being exotic armor: it has a 0 ACP (-0 penalty on your attack rolls ;)) and all proficiency does is let the armor bonus apply to touch attacks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:48:20 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1857 on: February 05, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »
Q657: Where is Silversilk found?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1858 on: February 05, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »
A: Unknown, seen it referenced to the DMG but i've not been able to find it >_>

Q658: How does taking the Dragonwrought Feat from Races of the Dragon give a Kobold +3 to all mental stats o_O, and what are the penalties (if any) of doing it other than Kobold racial stats?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420 suggests it does, but I read the feat and it doesn't mention it...

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1859 on: February 05, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
Q658: How does taking the Dragonwrought Feat from Races of the Dragon give a Kobold +3 to all mental stats o_O, and what are the penalties (if any) of doing it other than Kobold racial stats?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420 suggests it does, but I read the feat and it doesn't mention it...
A 658

The feat itself doesn't technically add +3 to all mental stats. However, Dragonwrought Kobolds are not subject to aging penalties (See the racial aging table on page 39 of RotD), thus there is no reason not to have your Kobold start as a Venerable character, which does grant +3 to all mentals.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation