Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343348 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1400 on: December 29, 2008, 05:39:53 AM »
A512
Southern Magician is in Races of Faerun on page 168.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1401 on: December 29, 2008, 05:44:24 AM »
Q 513: Do you think anyone is taking me seriously here? (build at post 80, with bonus tactics at post 83)

:P
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1402 on: December 29, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
Q 514: For example's sake, consider a 10th level character who is energy drained for 5 negative levels.  If someone gets energy drained for a few levels does he still count as a 10 HD creature for the purposes of spells such as Cloudkill and Holy Word?  I'm talking about the time period before he makes his Fort saves 24 hours later to see if he shrugs off the negative levels or actually loses character levels.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1403 on: December 29, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »
This line from here suggests that your level (HD) is effectively reduced until the effect either becomes permanent or goes away:
Quote from: SRD

According to the Classes and Monster sections, Character Level and HD are interchangeable.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1404 on: December 29, 2008, 05:18:26 PM »
I remember that the Haunt Shift trick relies on negative levels to reduce the effective HD total. So there is a precedent for it working that way, at least in the CO Boards interpretation.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1405 on: December 29, 2008, 06:37:52 PM »
Since it is still D&D related...

Q515: Is there a write up anywhere on the chain blades from God of War?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #1406 on: December 29, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
Q 513: Do you think anyone is taking me seriously here? (build at post 80, with bonus tactics at post 83)

:P

Looks like AlphaBravo is. "I WANT FULL BUILD"

Q516: Is it possible that that entire thread is a joke?

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1407 on: December 29, 2008, 11:46:14 PM »
A: 516 Whether intentional or not, yes. Yes it is.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1408 on: December 30, 2008, 01:19:12 AM »
Q517: When figuring out initiator level are non-martial based prestige class counted as +1 or +1/2 to a martial character. I ask because if my 6th level Warblade takes two levels of Iaijustu Master will he have an initiator level of 7 or 8?

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1409 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:24 AM »
A: 517 Only prestige classes that explicitly increase initiator level at the full rate do so.  Each class mentions this, and not even all the PrCs in ToB are full initiator classes (e.g. Bloodstorm Blade).

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1410 on: December 30, 2008, 09:01:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've seen them statted out as magic items in Dragon Magazine, although I can't remember the issue, sorry ;)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1411 on: December 30, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »
Question for anyone who has access to Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Q 518: The Blighted Relic is a fairly strong encounter, with several resistances, DR 10/Cold Iron, SR 18, a melee attack that targets all adjacent foes for 4d6 base damage (plus str), and a breath weapon with no use limitations that is basically a doubled Unholy Blight spell (10d8 to Good, half damage to Neutral, 20d6 to good outsiders) in a 30 ft cone.  Even with my party being higher level than normal for this adventure, I foresee them retreating from this undead creature.  What should this new creation's tactics then be?  Should it pursue?  Should it also retreat?  Would it retreat to Strahd for aid?  Would it just wander off into the forests of Borovia, and then become a pain in the ass for the PC's to track down?  The module makes no mention of what it will do if the PC's don't take it out right then and there.

As a side note, I think I will add one ability to the Blighted Relic, as it is CR 10, and my party now is composed of four 10th level and one 9th level characters.  I'll give the Blighted Relic fast healing 1, but only when it is within the area of one of the fanes' rune stones.  That way, I sort of give it a tactic/motivation and a way for the PC's to more easily find it again if it does kick their asses (it will most likely be located near one of the fanes...)  Otherwise, the thing will just be walking around damaged without a way to heal itself... I think.  That brings me to another question...

Q 519:  The undead type states:
[Undead] cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score

Does the bolded section mean that undead with an Intelligence score heal naturally (ie - heals HP's equal to HD each night of rest), or is it referring to the fact unintelligent undead don't have the knowledge required to seek magical healing, unlike intelligent undead, which will seek magical healing, as it is the only way for them to heal?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:54:33 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1412 on: December 30, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Q520: Are Warforged naturally proficient with whatever body plating they have, or would a Warforged Barbarian with Adamantine Body still incur the Armor Check Penalty on his attack rolls due to non-proficiency unless he spends a feat on Heavy Armor Proficiency?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1413 on: December 30, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've seen them statted out as magic items in Dragon Magazine, although I can't remember the issue, sorry ;)

I checked the compendium and Crystal Keep, and they have nothing. Anyone have an idea where to find this shit?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

anomalousman

« Reply #1414 on: December 30, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
A. 520 Warforged do not require proficiency to wear their Adamantine Body.  It does count as heavy armour for effects that only work in light armour, however, so a Warforged Barbarian with this feat would not get fast movement. 

They would need to trade it for pounce.    :devil

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1415 on: December 30, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »
So no ACP's?

Excellent... [/Mr. Burns]

Btw, where exactly would the rules text be to back this up?
(I trust you, but just to be sure ;) )

anomalousman

« Reply #1416 on: December 30, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »

Page 7 of the combined 3.5 FAQ (21 Dec 2007).  I believe there's something in the books as well, but I didn't have the patience after spotting it in the FAQ. 

As a general rule, I think you get proficiency for any racial weapons or armour.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1417 on: December 30, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
Arigato :)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #1418 on: December 30, 2008, 09:21:28 PM »
Q 521.  I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I haven't seen it.  Do you get a swift action on the surprise round?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

PS. if someone could point me to a CO-ed Shadow Sun Ninja build i would be grateful.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1419 on: December 30, 2008, 10:50:03 PM »
So no ACP's?

Excellent... [/Mr. Burns]

(I trust you, but just to be sure ;) )

It is more like they are not even wearing armour, just that they are treated as wearing armour for purposes of interacting with certain effects. So no armour, no non-proficient penalties. :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.