Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342866 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1300 on: December 20, 2008, 02:22:25 AM »
Q 480: Do buffs last through a polymorph? or do the new form's stats override those given by polymorph/subschool/etc?
b) how about if you cast Enlarge person, then polymorphed into a non-humanoid?
c) and regarding the polymorph subschool (CM p.91) it says you use the game statistics of the new form... does this mean you can't use your previous skills and feats?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 02:55:47 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1301 on: December 20, 2008, 02:46:57 AM »
Q 480: Do buffs last through a polymorph? or do the new form's stats override those given by polymorph/subschool/etc?
b) how about if you cast Enlarge person, then polymorphed into a non-humanoid?

Generally speaking, spells stay on as long as they were legal when cast.  As such, if you Enlarge Person a humanoid and then they polymorph, they're still going to be one size larger.  Likewise, other buffs will also stay on unless they specifically state they do not.

JaronK

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1302 on: December 20, 2008, 02:57:34 AM »
Thanks. I guess I have MtG rules in my head (where an enchantment/etc would fall off if the target became illegal).

addendum question since you ninja'd a reply while I was editing...
Q 480 c: and regarding the polymorph subschool (CM p.91) it says you use the game statistics of the new form... does this mean you can't use your previous skills and feats?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1303 on: December 20, 2008, 03:02:43 AM »
A480c: You get to keep your feats, I know*. I am fairly certain that you keep your skills, too. I don't know why you'd get feats and not skills.

*One obvious example is Natural Spell, which affects wild shape. Wild shape functions 'as polymorph', so if you didn't keep feats, Natural Spell would be worthless.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1304 on: December 20, 2008, 05:49:33 AM »
Q 481: Does the Humanoid Shape invocation (DrM, 80) give you the supernatural ability Change Shape, thus allowing for qualification for the Warshaper PrC (CWar, 89)?

Relevant text for each: (this first is from Humanoid Shape)...You can assume any humanoid form, as the change shape special ability (MM 306)...(and from Warshaper)...Must be able to change shape in one of the following ?ve ways: Change shape supernatural ability...
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

bigdaddy843

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #1305 on: December 20, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »
Q 482

What are cleric spells that can aid in fighting a wilder/psion?
Are there any notable tactics?
Thank you.

kaiza

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #1306 on: December 20, 2008, 07:44:35 AM »
Q 481: Does the Humanoid Shape invocation (DrM, 80) give you the supernatural ability Change Shape, thus allowing for qualification for the Warshaper PrC (CWar, 89)?

Relevant text for each: (this first is from Humanoid Shape)...You can assume any humanoid form, as the change shape special ability (MM 306)...(and from Warshaper)...Must be able to change shape in one of the following ?ve ways: Change shape supernatural ability...

A 481: No, because Change Shape must be a Supernatural Ability, while invocations are Spell-like Abilities. Moreover, the text for the invocation doesn't say that you gain "the Change Shape supernatural ability", but "the change shape special ability".

k.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #1307 on: December 20, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »
Q483: Is there a feat that could give the Psychic Warrior Spot as a class skill and if so, where can I find it?
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1308 on: December 20, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »
A 481: No, because Change Shape must be a Supernatural Ability, while invocations are Spell-like Abilities. Moreover, the text for the invocation doesn't say that you gain "the Change Shape supernatural ability", but "the change shape special ability".

There's no such mention. Warshaper doesn't specify that the ability in question MUST be supernatural; it merely mentions the Change Shape ability from a number of monsters (which happens to be supernatural). Humanoid Shape especifically mentions the ability to be identical to the one of the same name in the Monster Manual, and Polymorph is a legal entry method into the class, so there should be no such restriction.

A483: Able Learner should net you that. You need to be human, take the feat at first level and have at least one level in a class that has Spot as a class skill, however (Able Learner is from Races of Destiny).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 12:57:54 PM by Kuroimaken »
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #1309 on: December 20, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
Q483: Is there a feat that could give the Psychic Warrior Spot as a class skill and if so, where can I find it?

A483: If you're a human or doppleganger, Able Learner (RoD 150).

EDIT: Ninja'd by Kuroimaken.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1310 on: December 20, 2008, 01:08:01 PM »
A483:  In Heroes of Battle is a feat named Guerrilla Scout (I think) that allows you to buy spot and listen ranks at 1 rank per skill point, but does not remove the cross-class rank cap.  I don't know what your goals are, but this might help.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #1311 on: December 20, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
My goal was to find some way to have Spot a class skill for the Psyhic Warrior for the topic "Death Level Builds".

My entry would be a Human Psychic Warrior 1, with that feat, Least Dragonmark of Passage (dimension leap) and Protective Dragonmark (or whatever it's namne that grants DR5/magic). Advancing would be into Blade of Orien at lvl 7, and at lvl 16 it would turn into a two-full attack-dimension-pouncer due to Hustle and Oriens Fury. Sure, Blade of Orien requires just 3 ranks in spot, so it could be done without it.
But, it also requires the Lesser Dragonmark of Passage, which need 9 ranks in two skills.
Going Able Learner was also my first instinct, but I though if there was some other way that I would make it less MAD.
It only have 2+int skills, so even if you count in human we need an Int of 12 or more to be able to max two class skills and max spot at 6th level.
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1312 on: December 20, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »
My goal was to find some way to have Spot a class skill for the Psyhic Warrior for the topic "Death Level Builds".

My entry would be a Human Psychic Warrior 1, with that feat, Least Dragonmark of Passage (dimension leap) and Protective Dragonmark (or whatever it's namne that grants DR5/magic). Advancing would be into Blade of Orien at lvl 7, and at lvl 16 it would turn into a two-full attack-dimension-pouncer due to Hustle and Oriens Fury. Sure, Blade of Orien requires just 3 ranks in spot, so it could be done without it.
But, it also requires the Lesser Dragonmark of Passage, which need 9 ranks in two skills.
Going Able Learner was also my first instinct, but I though if there was some other way that I would make it less MAD.
It only have 2+int skills, so even if you count in human we need an Int of 12 or more to be able to max two class skills and max spot at 6th level.

...Doesn't Spot count as one of the skills you could use to qualify?

Also, you're counting it wrong: Human grants you one skill point per level, and so does an Int score of 12 - so you'd be able to max four skills that way.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1313 on: December 20, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »
Vampires are also unable to cross running water, although they can be carried over it while resting in their coffins or aboard a ship.

Q 484:  Suppose you have a river that widens into a large, marshy swamp.  There is still technically some water movement through it, as it is continually be fed by the upstream river, and the water level isn't rising, but the water movement is basically imperceptible because it is dispersed over such a wide area, and there are stagnant pool and bogs in the area as well.  Is a vampire able to move about in and cross this area?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Dumb-Age Master

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.
    • Email
« Reply #1314 on: December 20, 2008, 02:03:58 PM »
Vampires are also unable to cross running water, although they can be carried over it while resting in their coffins or aboard a ship.

Q 484:  Suppose you have a river that widens into a large, marshy swamp.  There is still technically some water movement through it, as it is continually be fed by the upstream river, and the water level isn't rising, but the water movement is basically imperceptible because it is dispersed over such a wide area, and there are stagnant pool and bogs in the area as well.  Is a vampire able to move about in and cross this area?

Even if it's not noticeably running water doesn't mean it's not running water. So long as the bogs didn't drain into anything else, however, they would be cross-able, but still not the river.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #1315 on: December 20, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »

...Doesn't Spot count as one of the skills you could use to qualify?

Also, you're counting it wrong: Human grants you one skill point per level, and so does an Int score of 12 - so you'd be able to max four skills that way.

Only if I already have it as a class skill.

Going into Blade of Orien, which requires Lesser Dragonmark of Passage.
Lesser Dragonmark of Passage needs 2 skills at 9 ranks. The only possibility of having 9 ranks by 6th level is if they are class skills.

Psychic Warrior at lvl 6, with Spot as a Cross-Class skill:
9 Skill points into something.
9 Skill points into something else.
6 Skill points to gain Spot 3.
24 Skill Points needed.

Psychic Warrior at lvl 6, with Spot as a Cross-Class skill and Able Learner:
9 Skill points into something else.
3 Skill points to gain Spot 3.
21 Skill Points needed.

Psychic Warrior at lvl 6, with Spot as a Class skill:
9 Skill points into Spot.
18 Skill Points needed.

I do, however, admit I did count it wrong.
My original comment was constructed poorly. I didn't include Able Learner when I said that we need Int 12+ for humans to max two class skills and one cross class. Re-reading it, it becomes obvious to me that it looks like I'm claiming we need 12+ including Able Learner. My bad.

Though even without an Int. modifier and Able Learner/WishFeat, at 6th level we have 27 Skill Points to spend. I forgot the 4 extra Skill Points you gain at 1st level.

Ah well, never mind then. Seems as if I suddenly don't need it anyway.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #1316 on: December 20, 2008, 05:42:11 PM »
Q485 Do the Wizard spells cast with the spell Anyspell count as arcane spells?

Anyspell states:
'... allows you to read and prepare any arcane spell of up to 2nd level.'
'... must have an arcane magical writting on hand'
'When you cast the arcane spell it works just as though cast by a a wizard of your cleric level except your Wisdom score sets the save DC ...'

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1317 on: December 21, 2008, 02:06:21 AM »
Q486: Where is the online source that lists the variant of the half-fiend template based on a succubus? It's not http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x . If I recall correctly, it was applied to an Annis Hag.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #1318 on: December 21, 2008, 04:19:27 AM »
Q487: The spell Ray Deflection (Spell Compendium) states that it protects you from all ranged touch attacks, including rays, and then goes on to talk about rays are harmlessly bounced away. Things like Eldritch Blast and Dissolving Spittle are ranged touch attacks, but not rays. RAW, would Ray Deflection protect you from them?
This space intentionally left blank.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1319 on: December 21, 2008, 04:33:22 AM »
A487: Well, from what your post says, it specifically says that it protects you from all ranged touch attacks. This includes Eldritch Blast and Dissolving Spittle. The mentions of rays are just clarifications and flavor text. I'll recheck the actual book, but that should be it.

Edit: Yeah, I understand your confusion, as it talks a lot more about rays than ranged touches. But it definitely says that you are protected from ranged touches.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:41:19 AM by Negative Zero »