Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 343382 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1240 on: December 13, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
Q458
A phaerimm (Lost Empires of Faerun 188) has a flight speed of 30', but at what maneuverability?
I'm not at my books, but if you check the Monsters of Faerun supplement, it may list the maneuverability.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1241 on: December 13, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »
Still unanswered:
Q424: Does Battle Jump (Unapproachable East) enable someone to charge for free when one "hurls him/herself down", or does it require a separate action to attack? The feat says nothing of the sort, but my DM seems to believe otherwise.

As a continuation of the question, suppose someone has that maneuver (name escapes me at the moment) that allows you to jump as a swift action, and is in Leaping Dragon stance, and Battle Jump. Would you be able to "bouncing charge"? (That is, jump as a swift action, drop on foe, jump as a move, drop on foe, jump as a standard, drop on foe?)
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #1242 on: December 13, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
Still unanswered:
Q424: Does Battle Jump (Unapproachable East) enable someone to charge for free when one "hurls him/herself down", or does it require a separate action to attack? The feat says nothing of the sort, but my DM seems to believe otherwise.

As a continuation of the question, suppose someone has that maneuver (name escapes me at the moment) that allows you to jump as a swift action, and is in Leaping Dragon stance, and Battle Jump. Would you be able to "bouncing charge"? (That is, jump as a swift action, drop on foe, jump as a move, drop on foe, jump as a standard, drop on foe?)

I believe Battlejump states something to the effect that it's only necessary to fall from a height of X feet above your opponent to charge. In your example as RAW I believe you could land 3 charges.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1243 on: December 13, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Q459: I just read about the Zhentarim Fighter alt class features (CoV WebEnh).  Can anyone name some great synergistic feats / abilities to go along w/ Intimidate or the subset Demoralize abilities?

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1244 on: December 13, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »
A459 I'll definitely want to check out Imperious Command, if an enemy fails there save they cower in fear. It's in Drow of the Underdark.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1245 on: December 13, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »
I believe Battlejump states something to the effect that it's only necessary to fall from a height of X feet above your opponent to charge. In your example as RAW I believe you could land 3 charges.
Q460, then.

Could a Binder with Geryon's Swift Flight ability activate Battle Jump? Battle Jump specifies that you can't use it under a fly spell or effect (namely, something that says "as the Fly spell"), but Geryon only gives you the flight speed for one round, it doesn't specify working like the spell swift fly.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1246 on: December 13, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
A460

I'm not familiar with the Binder, but battlejump says/intimates that you have to fall 5 feet to activate it. If you can turn the Binder's poweroff at will and drop, then it could work, if you just fly down then you're descending, not falling.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1247 on: December 14, 2008, 12:39:34 AM »
Q459: I just read about the Zhentarim Fighter alt class features (CoV WebEnh).  Can anyone name some great synergistic feats / abilities to go along w/ Intimidate or the subset Demoralize abilities?

Scarlet Corsair 5 (Stormwrack).  Dread Pirate 5 (Complete Adventurer).  CW Samurai 10 (Complete Warrior).  Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark).  Dread Necromancer 5 (Heroes of Horror).  Eviscerator (Libris Mortis).  Never Outnumbered (Complete Scoundrel).  Inspire Awe Bard Varient (Dragon Magic).  Haunting Melody (I forget where).  Requiem (Libris Mortis).

Go nuts!  Remember the way fear stacks (increasing fear status, and it lasts as long as the longest fear effect, so if you use Imperious Command + the Scarlet Corsair 5 ability, they'll cower for IIRC 1+Cha modifier rounds).

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1248 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:51 AM »
Haunting Melody (I forget where).

Heroes of Horror, I believe.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1249 on: December 14, 2008, 01:19:49 AM »
Still unanswered:
Q432: Suppose you have the Battle Jump feat, a warhorse, a lance, and a sufficiently high modifier for both Ride and Jump (say, +12, or something).

You command your horse to charge, then Leap (DC 15). At the height of your horse's leap, you use a free action to Fast Dismount (DC 20) and jump off your horse's back (a move action).

Question A) How is the Jump check resolved? We all know it's a move action, but what is the DC you'd need to, say, leap out of your horse and still meet the necessary height for Battle Jump on a Medium-sized creature? Are you considered to have had a running start?

Question B) Would the Battle Jump and the charge stack?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1250 on: December 14, 2008, 02:05:34 AM »
What exactly is the rules and prereq text of imperious command?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1251 on: December 14, 2008, 02:09:24 AM »
What exactly is the rules and prereq text of imperious command?

I believe it requires a number of ranks in intimidate, and basically when you demoralize/make a foe shaken he cowers for 1 round and is shaken for a few after that.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #1252 on: December 14, 2008, 03:15:46 AM »
A432: A) You jump from the highest point of your mount's jump, from the cube of your choice that your mount is occupying. You are no longer mounted. Since you can jump from the top of your mount, the combined DC is reduced to 20. Your mount may have a running start; you certainly don't.

B) Technically, your mount took the charge action, but you dismounted before it attacked, so you only get the benefit of Battle Jump. Since you aren't mounted when you attack, your lance doesn't deal double damage for a mounted charge.

The rules for mounts and initiative are fairly vague, though, so YMMV.
I know gameology-fu.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1253 on: December 14, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »
Consider a group of adventurers that do not have access to Raise Dead, and one of their party members dies.  This party does, however, have access to Lesser Planar Ally (Cleric 4).  LPA allows you to call a 6 HD or less outsider or elemental, for 100 xp.  You must also offer this being an offering for its service, equalling at least 100 gp per HD of the creature (for a service lasting no longer than 1 minute per caster level), but that cost is halved if the task is not hazardous.

Lesser Planar Ally can thus call a Movanic Deva from the Fiend Folio.  A movanic deva is a 6 HD outsider that has a host of spell-like abilities, including Raise Dead once per week (or maybe it was per day, I forget).

Q 461: If a party calls a Movanic Deva to Raise their fallen friend, what costs are incurred by the party?  Only 100 xp and 300 gp?  More?

PS - I realize that the deity actually chooses what creature to send, not the caster, but ignore that point for this question, please.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1254 on: December 14, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
A432: A) You jump from the highest point of your mount's jump, from the cube of your choice that your mount is occupying. You are no longer mounted. Since you can jump from the top of your mount, the combined DC is reduced to 20. Your mount may have a running start; you certainly don't.

B) Technically, your mount took the charge action, but you dismounted before it attacked, so you only get the benefit of Battle Jump. Since you aren't mounted when you attack, your lance doesn't deal double damage for a mounted charge.

The rules for mounts and initiative are fairly vague, though, so YMMV.

Q432B: Do you require a balance check or anything to jump off your mount?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1255 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
A 461 100xp and 300gp should be correct. Spell-like abilities don't have material components so you wouldn't have to pay the 5K in diamonds. Raise dead only needs a minute so if your quick about it you might not even need to pay all the 300 gold.

StPeteGamer

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #1256 on: December 14, 2008, 08:59:11 PM »
Q462

juton

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1257 on: December 14, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
A462

You can read the exact definition here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Invisibility.htm

StPeteGamer

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #1258 on: December 14, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
Q 463
How does being blind affect a PC (penalties and such)?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #1259 on: December 14, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
A463 Quoted from SRD:

Quote from: SRD
He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character.