Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 342904 times)

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1180 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:24 PM »
In Complete Psionic p.154 under the Erudite entry it states that a character permanently loses the ability to add more powers to his unique list if an Erudite gains at least as many levels in another psionic class as the do in Erudite.

Q441A
Do this apply for psionic base classes or would it apply if I had too many levels in a psionic prestige class as well?

Q441B
If I had more than one additional psionic classes, in total more levels than Erudite but singularly less than the Erudite would I still gain unique powers?

eg. Erudite 6/Overchanneler 4/Slayer 4

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1181 on: December 06, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
Q442: Tome of Battle has two different entries for the feat Shadow Trickster. One requires CL 1st and a Shadow Hand stance and gives +1 illusion DCs while in a Shadow Hand stance. The other requires CL 1st and a Shadow Hand maneuver and gives +2 illusion DCs while in a Shadow Hand stance. Which is correct?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1182 on: December 06, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »
A 442: In cases where text and table entries conflict, generally assume the text is correct.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1183 on: December 06, 2008, 04:01:07 PM »
In Complete Psionic p.154 under the Erudite entry it states that a character permanently loses the ability to add more powers to his unique list if an Erudite gains at least as many levels in another psionic class as the do in Erudite.

Q441A
Do this apply for psionic base classes or would it apply if I had too many levels in a psionic prestige class as well?

Q441B
If I had more than one additional psionic classes, in total more levels than Erudite but singularly less than the Erudite would I still gain unique powers?

Note: this is how I personally read it, YMMV ofcourse :)

A441A: It applies to PrC's as well.
A441B: Yes, you'd still gain them.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1184 on: December 06, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »
Q443: How do craft cost reduction effects interact with stat tomes?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1185 on: December 06, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
You mean as how it interacts with crafting them?

I'd say they reduce the crafting cost as normal...

Could you elaborate on what it is you mean precisely?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1186 on: December 06, 2008, 07:54:39 PM »
You mean as how it interacts with crafting them?

I'd say they reduce the crafting cost as normal...

Could you elaborate on what it is you mean precisely?

Most of the XP cost from tomes seems to be coming from the Wish. But you could also use Miracle. So does that feat that reduces XP costs by 25% work here or no?

Q444: An ECL 16 character reaches level 17, takes an LA 1 template for their 17th level, then uses LA buyoff immediately. Do they have to pay 15k XP, or 16k XP?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1187 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:14 PM »
I believe the xp reduction only works as far as the crafting cost is concerned (1/25 of the gp cost, right?), it wouldn't work for any spells cast in the process with an xp cost as far as I'm concerned...

A444: You technically use LA buyback as soon as you have the template, right?
So I'd say you'd be ECL 17 as far as LA buyback is concerned (so 16K in buyback)...

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1188 on: December 06, 2008, 09:10:06 PM »

Q441A

Q441B

A441A: Base classes, not psionic prestige classes. My precedent is in the ruling for classes that progress spellcasting. You cannot use Mystic Theurge to progress the casting of, say, Dweomerkeeper. You can only progress the casting of classes that grant spellcasting. Therefore, I would think that prestige classes would not count for that limit.

A441B: Each class is counted separately, not as a total.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1189 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »

Q441A

Q441B

A441A: Base classes, not psionic prestige classes. My precedent is in the ruling for classes that progress spellcasting. You cannot use Mystic Theurge to progress the casting of, say, Dweomerkeeper. You can only progress the casting of classes that grant spellcasting. Therefore, I would think that prestige classes would not count for that limit.
Minor nitpick: what about Mystic Theurge progressing Beholder Mage and/or Ur-Priest casting?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1190 on: December 06, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »
Those grant spellcasting. I was talking about prestige classes that progress spellcasting. The obscure prestige classes that have their own spellcasting would also work fine. But I assume that he meant Archmage, Sand Shaper, Abjurant Champion and the like.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1191 on: December 06, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »
But then you really can't make a distinction between base and prestige classes, right?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #1192 on: December 06, 2008, 09:38:11 PM »
But then you really can't make a distinction between base and prestige classes, right?

Right, just between those that grant casting and those the progress it.

But the list of decent to good PrCs that grant casting is very small, and the list of decent to good PrCs that progress casting is a lot larger, so he was working under the assumption (I assume) that what was meant was ones that progressed, not granted.  ;)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1193 on: December 06, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »
Awww, man! Looks like my second-to-last two questions were completely unanswered. Is there no simple reply to them?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1194 on: December 07, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »
I believe the xp reduction only works as far as the crafting cost is concerned (1/25 of the gp cost, right?), it wouldn't work for any spells cast in the process with an xp cost as far as I'm concerned...

A444: You technically use LA buyback as soon as you have the template, right?
So I'd say you'd be ECL 17 as far as LA buyback is concerned (so 16K in buyback)...

But what if you are an Artificer? You don't have to actually cast Wish or Miracle, you just need... I believe it's a DC 37 Use Magic Device check to emulate it, which is no problem whatsoever considering take 10, and the possibility of a first level infusion granting 2 + half CL circumstance. Hell, you probably don't even need the infusion. I think Warlocks can do the same, I dunno.

As for buyback, it really only accounts for inherited templates. It doesn't explain at all what you do if you get an acquired LA 1 template at a higher level aside from that (x - 1) * 1k thing. Which if that is what it is, then the sooner the better.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1195 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
Q445: I realize the similar wording but by RAW, do Monkey Grip and Strongarm Bracers stack? If not please list the source and page  ;)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #1196 on: December 08, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
A445:
No they do not.  Both allow you to wield a weapon of one category larger than you are.  Thus if you are medium, you have two effects that allow you to wield a large weapon.  This question has been answered at least 25 times this year. :)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1197 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
This question has been answered at least 25 times this year. Smile

A far cry compared to yesteryear, where "Does monkey grip stack with powerful build" threads were popping up at gleemax like every other day.  :P
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #1198 on: December 09, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
Q446: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #1199 on: December 09, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
Q446: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
A466: Average amount of wood chucked in a given day: 264 butt cords of wood. 
Median amount of wood chucked in a given hour: 366 butt cords of wood. 
Record high for woodchuck chucking was 403 butt cords of wood on 6-5-1996.
*above tabulations take into account that a woodchuck chucks no wood on Feb 2, in observance of Groundhog Day.
 :p

http://www.getodd.com/stuf/stupid/woodchuck.html
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?