Author Topic: Break out the Kriegsspiel, we got the game on!  (Read 3325 times)

yellowdingo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Break out the Kriegsspiel, we got the game on!
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:31:05 AM »
Russia has just invaded northern Gerogia in support of the 90% Russian population. :debate

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
Re: Break out the Kriegsspiel, we got the game on!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »
This is certainly interesting.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is Russia after?
The land?

Is it a land war near Asia?

yellowdingo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
This is certainly interesting.

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is Russia after?
The land?

Is it a land war near Asia?
:lol
never get involved in a land war in Asia...

They be after the Oil dear Liza...

The USA invaded Iraq.
And took away the Russian Access to its Oil,
So they had to Sieze Gerogian Oil Fields...

This be George W.s Fault.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:31:39 AM »
Russia has H-U-G-E deposits of oil.  It 2nd largest producer IN THE WORLD (billions of barrels/day) and has the 8th largest proven reserve IN THE WORLD (billions of barrels).  Georgia, as far as I can tell, is a net IMPORTER of petroleum.  So clearly this is not about oil.

Ostensibly, the Russians invaded the former Soviet Republic of Georgia to "liberate" an oppressed minority in a province of Georgia that borders it.  They are NOT Ethnic Russians - they are ethnic Ossetians that want to reunite with their neighbors to the north.  South Ossetia declared its independence from Georgia about 10 years ago and are propped up by the Russian government.  The violence actually began with the Georgian military invading in an attempt to reclaim the territory for itself, but the Russians decided they rather liked seeing Georgia made to look impotent by a small province, so they retaliated.  So clearly this is not about ethnic Russians.

How's that 9000+ IQ working for you?  Feels good shoved right into your anus, doesn't it?

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 10:49:12 AM »
It is about resources and hegemony.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
I read just a little bit about it.

I heard mention of a huge oil pipeline that runs through the area (or something) that might be of strategic importance.
Other than that, it looks like a (fairly) standard eastern-european type of conflict.

A separatist group wants to split a country... so on and so forth.

In this case, it's a group of Russians who don't want to move back to Russia (if I understand correctly), but don't want to be Georgians.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
They're not Russians - they're Ossetians.

Oil pipeline?  I heard something about that, and I suppose it never hurts to have more oil.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 07:11:13 AM »
The thing about the Russian government is that they are enormous dinks.

I wish there was more to add.

(seriously Russia wants Georgia because, well they just do)
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »
I'm still getting over my confusion that Georgia is apparently a country as well as a state in America.

I thought the Commies were making a grab for Atlanta, which seems like a very indirect way to try to take over America.  Phew, glad thats not the case.  Everything's okay people, carry on.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:20:14 PM »
I'm still getting over my confusion that Georgia is apparently a country as well as a state in America.

I thought the Commies were making a grab for Atlanta, which seems like a very indirect way to try to take over America.  Phew, glad thats not the case.  Everything's okay people, carry on.
It's also a town in my home state of Vermont, so I was rather confused by the headlines until I read the actual articles.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
The thing about the Russian government is that they are enormous dinks.

I wish there was more to add.

(seriously Russia wants Georgia because, well they just do)

I'm guessing you're using a definition of dink I'm not familiar with.

The only one I'm aware of is the one used for a working couple without children.
(double-income, no kids -> d i n k)
Hooray for learning stuff in history class.!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »
lol
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »
I was under the understanding that Georgia was the aggressor in this case, and they assumed the US would bail them out.  Which ain't happening, I think we'd need a much bigger reason that a disputed province to go against Russia.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »
My guess is that one or more of several reasons prompted the Russkies to do this.

1.  An oil pipeline from the non-Russian Caucasus oilfields goes through Georgia, specifically to bypass Russia, and lessen Russian control over oil production and distribution.

2.  Georgia has been making attempts to join NATO, something Russia doesn't want on its borders.

3.  Russia is flexing its petrodollar-fueled might by demonstrating its army is still a viable threat.  Russians have a proud imperial history, both during the Czarist days, and during the Soviet times.  I can't imagine they like the loss of standing their country's experienced over the past 15 years or so.  And nothing brings a country together like invading someone else (unless you're the US, in which case it tears you apart).

4.  Russia likes having satellite puppet regimes on its borders as a kind of buffer state.  They basically dictated policy to the Georgians for centuries, and see it as their right.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 05:17:44 AM »
All I take away from the situation is this: the United States is against other countries going into independent nations, breaking shit, causing chaos, and generally acting in a way that promotes their own world supremacy.

...that is, other countries.  It's all fine and dandy when the US does it.  The thing that really bugs me is that there was barely any mention about the ethic angle on pretty much any news station here in the US, so of course everyone in the US thinks Russia's a bully for attacking another country and trying to steal more oil.

I think that's probably the biggest reason I want to leave the country.  I want to see what unbiased international news sounds like.  Even if there is no such thing, it should be easy enough to find something relatively unbiased compared to how the US media operates.