Author Topic: VoP Warforged-slaying warforged  (Read 3566 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
VoP Warforged-slaying warforged
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
So, I got the idea reading the BoED and Races of Eberron. Vow of Peace still lets you inflict lethal damage on constructs, and warforged paladins can smite constructs as if they were evil.

Basically, he's a member of the Crucible (from Faiths of Eberron, I think) - the guy is convinced that his race are too dangerous as weapons to be allowed to exist.

LG Dragonborn (mind) Saint Warforged paladin 3/ranger 1/warforged juggernaut 5/???
Feats: Adamantine Body, Nimbus of Light, Sacred Vow, Vow of Peace, Vow of Poverty
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:53:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Dr_emperor

• Monkey bussiness
Re: VoP Warforged-slaying warforged
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
Vow of poverty may leave you unable to fly and do some other things, so normally you'd look for other ways of getting around that.  Normally you might use spellcasting but your kind of feat starved to qualify for some of those classes.  Might I suggest Divine Crusader from complete Divine, its at least charisma based and only requires weapon focus.  You'd probably want to use someting after to give more domains.

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:42:40 PM »
Why Dragonborn (Mind) when you can get wings to circumvent one of the major restrictions of VoP?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:47:45 PM »
I'd recommend Construct Lock (RoE) as a feat.

And as an aside, why dragonborn? Doesn't the "Kill Tiamat's spawn" conflict with the "Kill Warforged" mentality?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
I'd recommend Construct Lock (RoE) as a feat.

And as an aside, why dragonborn? Doesn't the "Kill Tiamat's spawn" conflict with the "Kill Warforged" mentality?

Kill Tiamat's Warforged spawn?  :couch

If you're going to use Vow of Povery and Dragonborn, I second the suggestion of getting the Wings aspect.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:39:42 AM »
Why Dragonborn (Mind) when you can get wings to circumvent one of the major restrictions of VoP?
Well, I liked the flavour of the mind aspect better for this character, but I'd take wings if I had no other means of flight.

So, what should I do with the other 8 levels? Mineral warrior perhaps?
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
Kensai? Or does that violate VoP?
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »
Kensai? Or does that violate VoP?

It shouldn't as long as you only enhance natural weapons.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:22 AM »
Therein lies the problem: If you want to be a weapon user, then you are stuck with weak weapons. Going Kensai and focusing on your natural attacks (in other words, Monk levels) may have potential, but that might interfere with your build.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
A morningstar or longspear/spear aren't THAT weak and don't violate the VoP.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »
A morningstar or longspear/spear aren't THAT weak and don't violate the VoP.

But enhancing them with kensai would make them magical, and you'd then own a magic weapon as an object separate from yourself, and most would rule that as violating your VoP.

What attack methods were you planning on using for this guy, anyway?

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »
But why bother with Kensai? The VoP makes them magical anyway. (Granted, no other effects than straight + X).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
What attack methods were you planning on using for this guy, anyway?

Well, he's a warforged juggernaut, (bitch!), so charging, I guess. What about Singh rager? (OA)
He needs some nonlethal options - if we throw some monk levels in, his Stunning Fist gets a boost from Vow of Nonviolence.

Just thinking, this guy's type is pretty weird. Outsider (dragonblood, living construct, native)?

Also, how viable would Second Slam/Rapidstrike/Improved Rapidstrike be?
My work

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 10:56:12 PM »
Thoughts:
You don't qualify for Rapidstrike or the improved version, which sucks.
Monk levels would let you use a full attack with your unarmed strike
Dragonblood loses you your slam attack, IIRC.
Strength Devotion grants you a permanent slam attack that is better than a warforged.
Kensai levels let you enchant your slam, if you'd like (they could, arguable, enchant on a separate level from what VoP gives, which means free abilities, yay)
There's a feat (check SDK's Monk/Cleric in my handbook) from a Dragon mag that lets you add Slam & Unarmed Damage together.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »
Therein lies the problem: If you want to be a weapon user, then you are stuck with weak weapons. Going Kensai and focusing on your natural attacks (in other words, Monk levels) may have potential, but that might interfere with your build.

I can only think of two characters that are good for natural weapons+VoP; Druids and Totemists.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
Thoughts:
You don't qualify for Rapidstrike or the improved version, which sucks.
Monk levels would let you use a full attack with your unarmed strike
Dragonblood loses you your slam attack, IIRC.
Strength Devotion grants you a permanent slam attack that is better than a warforged.
Kensai levels let you enchant your slam, if you'd like (they could, arguable, enchant on a separate level from what VoP gives, which means free abilities, yay)
There's a feat (check SDK's Monk/Cleric in my handbook) from a Dragon mag that lets you add Slam & Unarmed Damage together.

Sure I lose the slam from dragonborn, but the Strength Devotion one still lets me qualify for Second Slam :D (which is in Races of Eberron, by the way)
My work