Author Topic: DragonLance: The crapy flick  (Read 15609 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: DragonLance: The crapy flick
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 08:07:01 AM »
Actually, I enjoy both (and I loved DBZ when I was younger), but I respect that Naruto is not to everyone's tastes.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »
Well I don't watch anime. I barely watch TV period. *shrugs*
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Shadowhowler

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
I'm outa the loop on my anime. I was a fan awile back... Bubblegum Crisis, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell (the OVA, not the serries, have not seen the serries), Gunbuster, and so on...

I have a friend who is really into it now, and I never have any idea what he is talking about.

I guess RPG's are not the only medium in which I'm something of an old crumudgen. :(

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »
Actually, I enjoy both (and I loved DBZ when I was younger), but I respect that Naruto is not to everyone's tastes.

And that's good, because almost every Naruto fan I've met out there has tried everything in their power to convince me Naruto is great and it should be the only thing I watch. In other words, you're the good kind of anime fan.

I'm outa the loop on my anime. I was a fan awile back... Bubblegum Crisis, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell (the OVA, not the serries, have not seen the serries), Gunbuster, and so on...

I have a friend who is really into it now, and I never have any idea what he is talking about.

I guess RPG's are not the only medium in which I'm something of an old crumudgen. sad

Now, now, there's no need to worry about that. You've got some really good anime under your belt. Some of the stuff that's come out since is really out there... and, believe me or not, there are some actually pretty crappy anime nowadays (i.e. Naruto).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 05:39:15 PM »
Lol! The only anime, if you can call it that, that I have ever watched was Robotech Macross. The American one, not the Japanese one. And its spin-off, Mospeada.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
The anime discussion has taken over the thread, so we should probably continue it here
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

NecroticBanana

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 04:25:42 AM »
...and to bring it back on topic.....

Yea i thought it was mediocre, but i really didnt expect much more....i DID however notice that the beginning seemed alot like a typical game tho...for no real reason all the PCs are automatically hostile and standoffish to each other from the get-go. wtf?
You magnificent Bastard

Jesus saves...Allah protects...and Cthulhu thinks you'd make a great sandwich

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

No man should outlive his fictitious wizard -Homer Simpson

Any legal defense starting by: ''I was drunk'' is bound to fail.-Alastar

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:06 PM »
that is because it based off the book which was based on actual game sessions.  They do explain it if you managed to not gouge your eyes out.  In the inn they talk about how they all knew each other before and had adventured some, but went their separate ways to do some personal things each, then would meet back at the inn in 5years time.

Sturm- to claim his inheritance since he was raised outside of Solomnia and his father stayed behind.
Raistlin- to take his test and get more training
Caramon- to go with Raist.
Kitiara- she was headed to Solomnia too but they didn't mention that in the movie.
Flint- i have no idea, if it was said i don't recall.
Tanis- to look for the gods and visit the Qualinesti
Taselhoff- he is a kender they are so A.D.D. i'm amazed he remembered to make it back, seriously they are kleptomaniac meth heads.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Margaret Weis Productions
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
that is because it based off the book which was based on actual game sessions.

There was only one game session, and it was Tracy running DL1 for a bunch of the TSR folks to see how Xak Tsaroth worked. Tracy and Margaret used some moments from that game in the book, but the books were based on the storyline the Dragonlance team had come up with to frame the modules, and not actual play.

Cheers,
Cam
Managing Editor & Community Manager | Margaret Weis Productions

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
Then i stand corrected.  I thought they had made the modules and run the sessions then the books came from the sessions.  I had always assumed that Riverwind's death and res were the result of bad rolls and the DM trying to get a PC back when it wasn't their fault they died.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 05:33:07 AM »
Berserk.
Watch it. Stop anime hate.
Stop the hate period.
-M
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
Berserk.
Watch it. Stop anime hate.
Stop the hate period.
-M

Word. The manga is more awesome than the anime, though...

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »
I don't have an issue with the Japanese.  I have an issue with the idea that everything they do is better than everything we do, when in actuality they do some things better than us, and some things worse
Like World Wars, for instance.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

DarkSyn

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »
First off, I never knew there was a Dragonlance film......but do to the reviews i've read i dont think i missed much.
Secondly I'm a closet Anime fan, I was first introduced to <dam the title has left my head...probably do to the fact its 6am and i haven't slept yet> the anime with the kid and the red motorcycle, then i friend introduced me to Rounin Kenshi < all time favorite>, then Trigun <which im sad to say i disliked it a lot until Vash topped acting like an idiot>
Then i think it was Vanhelsing <rather good>, then Cowboy bebop < awesome>, followed by some Bastard <rather injoyable>, Dragon ball z i think was the last dragon ball series i watched, Ending with Nurato which i dont actively watch but if nothing else is on i'll watch.

So my question would be Were to i sit in the Anime categorization?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
Don't we already have an anime thread? It seems this thread keeps getting necroed to act as one. ;)
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
Don't we already have an anime thread? It seems this thread keeps getting necroed to act as one. ;)

That's because nobody posts there.
First off, I never knew there was a Dragonlance film......but do to the reviews i've read i dont think i missed much.
Secondly I'm a closet Anime fan, I was first introduced to <dam the title has left my head...probably do to the fact its 6am and i haven't slept yet> the anime with the kid and the red motorcycle, then i friend introduced me to Rounin Kenshi < all time favorite>, then Trigun <which im sad to say i disliked it a lot until Vash topped acting like an idiot>
Then i think it was Vanhelsing <rather good>, then Cowboy bebop < awesome>, followed by some Bastard <rather injoyable>, Dragon ball z i think was the last dragon ball series i watched, Ending with Nurato which i dont actively watch but if nothing else is on i'll watch.

So my question would be Were to i sit in the Anime categorization?

Mkay. Kid with red motorcycle, sounds like Akira - was it an anime movie with a guy turning into an atomic bomb at the end?

Two corrections about the names (understandably, some of them ARE hard to spell.

Rurouni Kenshin and Hellsing. There is no "van" Hellsing anime.

And you're actually off to a pretty good start as an anime fan, actually. Akira is considered a staple of awesome anime, specially when you consider that there's NO WAY animation could be that fluid back when it was released (it's funny to think that the future was 1985). You've actually watched a lot of stuff that I did too (except for Bastard, which I didn't watch due to it being pitifully short and without an ending. The manga is beyond awesome).

As far as DBZ is concerned, it's actually good, despite it being repetitive as fucking a girl with amnesia. I usually recommend to ALWAYS kill Naruto with fire, though.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 02:23:58 PM »
Rurouni Kenshin and Hellsing. There is no "van" Hellsing anime.

Technically there is an American anime that's a prequel to the movie. :p

Technically there's no such thing as american anime.  :P

Also, Van Helsing is a poor attempt at making an American Vampire Hunter D.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 11:34:57 PM »
And I suppose you insist that there's no such thing as non-french champagne, or no such thing as non-italian parmesan cheese too :p.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 11:45:12 PM »
im not schooled in the ways of parmesan, but ,ya all champagne is french..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.