Author Topic: DragonLance: The crapy flick  (Read 15619 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: DragonLance: The crapy flick
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 11:46:24 PM »
And I suppose you insist that there's no such thing as non-french champagne, or no such thing as non-italian parmesan cheese too :p.

Copying a couple of elements of aesthetics does not an anime make, Arioch.

I could actually concede that some Korean animations are so very close to anime you may as well call it anime, but american-made anime is so far an idea that makes me cringe.

Teen Titans is a good example of this.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »
american-made anime is so far an idea that makes me cringe.

You obviously haven't seen Kappa Mikey.

(it's weirder-looking in motion, though the Shout Outs are amusing)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:47:04 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2009, 04:45:27 PM »
as someone who dislikese anime, and likes teen titans, i agree w/ Kuro
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
american-made anime is so far an idea that makes me cringe.

You obviously haven't seen Kappa Mikey.

(it's weirder-looking in motion, though the Shout Outs are amusing)

WHAT IN THE HONKING NAME OF FUCK OF THIS?!

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »
And I suppose you insist that there's no such thing as non-french champagne, or no such thing as non-italian parmesan cheese too :p.

I could actually concede that some Korean animations are so very close to anime you may as well call it anime, but american-made anime is so far an idea that makes me cringe.

Anime is the second lowest form of animation that exists.  It is only noteworthy in America because America is cranking out the very worst form.

Anima only exists because japanese animators are too lazy to draw proper faces. 
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 02:24:30 AM »

Anime is the second lowest form of animation that exists.  It is only noteworthy in America because America is cranking out the very worst form.

Anima only exists because japanese animators are too lazy to draw proper faces. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong you are.  :)

I'm still curious as to what you'd consider the best form of animation though.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
I'd have to take some time to research that.  Also, we would have to define what to define Animation.

I would pre-90's disney was top-notch despite their butchering of various folklore and outright theft.  I also like Pixar stuff.

But in all seriousness, I will concede certain Anime is pretty good.  If I see one still frame of a character in a pose while the background blurs to show movement, I walk.  That's fucking laziness.  Also, anything drawn by the guy that drew Dragonball, DragonQuest, Crono Trigger, or Blue Dragon (can't think of his name) is crap, and someone needs to cripple his hands to stop him from inflicting his hackery on the world.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2009, 05:38:40 PM »
I'd have to take some time to research that.  Also, we would have to define what to define Animation.

I would pre-90's disney was top-notch despite their butchering of various folklore and outright theft.  I also like Pixar stuff.

But in all seriousness, I will concede certain Anime is pretty good.  If I see one still frame of a character in a pose while the background blurs to show movement, I walk.  That's fucking laziness.  Also, anything drawn by the guy that drew Dragonball, DragonQuest, Crono Trigger, or Blue Dragon (can't think of his name) is crap, and someone needs to cripple his hands to stop him from inflicting his hackery on the world.

I would actually be willing to concede that pre-90's Disney was plenty awesome. Pixar is okay.

As for background blurs, that's basically old-time anime (circa 1980's and a little of the beginning of the 90's as well). It's not really done anymore except for the express purpose of paying homage of some sort. It was basically a way to relate the anime to manga, where you can't really show the characters moving but you need to convey the idea somehow.

Akira Toriyama actually... had some good ideas, but he sadly can't draw worth crap. Neither can Masami Kurumada (guy who drew Saint Seiya and Bt'X, among others). Lots of people idolize him for essentially creating a series that likely won't die for another 30 years or until he himself dies, but I'm not really fond of his work.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »
Akira Toriyama actually... had some good ideas, but he sadly can't draw worth crap. Neither can Masami Kurumada (guy who drew Saint Seiya and Bt'X, among others). Lots of people idolize him for essentially creating a series that likely won't die for another 30 years or until he himself dies, but I'm not really fond of his work.
More important is the influence Toriyama has had - it's hard to find a fighting anime/manga which doesn't contain some kind of reference to Dragonball (I lol'd at some of the ones in Negima by the way).

Y'know, his characters started off with some interesting abilities, but the executives just pushing him to write more after he wanted to finish, and everything became same-ish. Take a look at some of the early stuff - Piccolo has the power to extend his limbs and change size as well as reverse enemy attacks, Tien's Sharingan third eye can track high-speed movement and copy techniques, the Kamahamaha got used as a form of propulsion, Oolong and Puar (that talking pig and cat) are shapeshifters...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:14:28 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »
More important is the influence Toriyama has had - it's hard to find a fighting anime/manga which doesn't contain some kind of reference to Dragonball (I lol'd at some of the ones in Negima by the way).

Y'know, his characters started off with some interesting abilities, but the executives just pushing him to write more after he wanted to finish, and everything became same-ish. Take a look at some of the early stuff - Piccolo has the power to extend his limbs and change size as well as reverse enemy attacks, Tien's Sharingan third eye can track high-speed movement and copy techniques, the Kamahamaha got used as a form of propulsion, Oolong and Puar (that talking pig and cat) are shapeshifters...

Exactly. Hence why the first Dragonball series was and always will be superior to Z/GT/Whathaveyou.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

dither

• Hong Kong
  • Breaking the ninth wall
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I was annoyed by how friggin' epic the story of the crappy Dragonlance animated movie was, considering all the characters were 1st level. Hell, that wizard Rastafarian or whatever (hourglass eyes) was using spells like magic missile and charm person. And the story was about defeating the champion of a god. I mean ... seriously. That's way too epic for a bunch of 1st-level characters.
"Stuck between a rogue and a bard place."

vanity
Read my webcomic!
Dither's Amazing Changing Avatars

[spoiler]
Quote from: Shadowhunter
Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about Dither's power level?"
It's over nine thousand!

Quote from: Bauglir
Quote from: Anklebite
Quote from: dither
Well blow me down! :P
A SECTION OF THE CAVERN HAS COLLAPSED!
dither, Miner, has died after colliding with an obstacle!
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Raistlin Majere   :P
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
I was annoyed by how friggin' epic the story of the crappy Dragonlance animated movie was, considering all the characters were 1st level. Hell, that wizard Rastafarian or whatever (hourglass eyes) was using spells like magic missile and charm person. And the story was about defeating the champion of a god. I mean ... seriously. That's way too epic for a bunch of 1st-level characters.

The book explains it a bit better than the movie. For example, the champion... his god leaves him mid-fight. After that he's just a powerless cleric with a +1 blinding mace.

At that moment, Verminaard realized he was alone, bereft of spiritual help. He felt the cold, skeletal hand of despair clutch at him and he called to his Dark Queen. But she had turned away, absorbed in her own struggle.

Verminaard began to sweat beneath the dragonmask. He cursed it as the helm seemed to stifle him; he couldn't catch his breath. Too late he realized its unsuitableness for hand-to-hand combat--the mask blocked his peripheral vision...Verminaard turned and backed up, swinging his mace to keep them at bay, while with his free hand, he struggled to rip the dragonhelm from his head.

Too late. Just as Verminaard's hand closed over the visor, the magic blade of Kith-Kanan pierced his armor and slid into his back.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:27 PM »
If you continue reading the characters should have all been around 5th level when meeting at the Inn of the Last Home (the one in the tree).  They give some back story about where they were and why they were meeting back there.  The books are much much better than the movie for various reasons.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »
If you continue reading the characters should have all been around 5th level when meeting at the Inn of the Last Home (the one in the tree).  They give some back story about where they were and why they were meeting back there.  The books are much much better than the movie for various reasons.

I think it'd be a lot easier to swallow some of the story if they indeed acted like 5th-level characters.

Yeah, probably. Still a little iffy, though. I'd expect an adventure of that caliber to be closer to 6-8, but that's my own preference as well, I think.

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

I think it'd be a lot easier to swallow some of the story if they indeed acted like 5th-level characters.

Yeah, probably. Still a little iffy, though. I'd expect an adventure of that caliber to be closer to 6-8, but that's my own preference as well, I think.

while it has been years since i read that set of books i think they were impressed by the magic but that is because it is supposed to be relatively rare in the world.  Also the last time they had seen Raistlin he was only capable of cantrips.  The movie was just poorly done in general and made the story look bad because of little things in it.  "Its not what you say but how you say it" is the appropriate analogy. They kept the story correct but changed the context and tone so much that it changed the meaning of it.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
while it has been years since i read that set of books i think they were impressed by the magic but that is because it is supposed to be relatively rare in the world.  Also the last time they had seen Raistlin he was only capable of cantrips.  The movie was just poorly done in general and made the story look bad because of little things in it.  "Its not what you say but how you say it" is the appropriate analogy. They kept the story correct but changed the context and tone so much that it changed the meaning of it.

Never read the books, but that sounds about right. It looked like it was trying to be "Lord of the Rings cool" and sorta missed out on the things that made it "Dragonlance cool."

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

See, I see clerics as champions of their gods already, and wouldn't blink at such thing. 

dither

• Hong Kong
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2009, 03:11:57 PM »
See, I see clerics as champions of their gods already, and wouldn't blink at such thing. 

Champions, sure, but 1st-level champions. You know what they're good for? Getting impaled on kobold spears.

Not fighting wars, laying the smackdown on ancient, enormously powerful dragons (and gods), or saving the entire world.

Seriously, where's the foreplay?

vanity
Read my webcomic!

[spoiler]
It's over nine thousand!

[/spoiler]

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2009, 02:41:14 AM »
How many DBZ characters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just one, but it takes five episodes.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard