Author Topic: More PL6 Gear  (Read 2977 times)

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
More PL6 Gear
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:21:49 AM »
I'm working on a mixed Progress Levels space setting. Some worlds are PL6, some are PL7, the collective settlements of the Solar System are PL8, and some of the backwater worlds are PL4-5. The PCs will be mainly PL6 with access to PL7 gear.

Which means I need more PL6 gear, plus PL7 upgrades of that gear. As I type this stuff up I'll post it here. Comments are welcome, particularly the 'How can this technology backfire?' or 'How can this technology be used for testosterone-fueled stupidity? What would a drunken fratboy do with this gear?' variety of comments. Because there are two carved-in-stone rules of tech:

1) It will backfire.

2) It will be used for sex.

Onwards...

PL6 Mecha Options
                           Medium Mecha         Small Mecha
Size Modifier          0                           +1
Equipment Slots     5                            3
Hit Points              50                          25
Base Speed           20'                         10'
Height                  4'-8'                       2'-4'
Weight                 125-500 lbs             15-125 lbs
Fighting Spaces     5'x5'                       5'x5'
Reach                  5'                           5'
Purchase DC          32                         28
Restriction            Lic (+1)                  Lic (+1)

Medium mecha slots
Torso, left arm, right arm, back, helmet

Small mecha slots
Torso, back, helmet

Someday I will figure out how tables work in this forum...

Small mecha? For the genetically enhanced animals of course.

A Medium or Small mecha gives no bonus to the operator's Strength. If you're using the optional Mecha As Walking Tanks rules from Future Tech (I do) a Medium Mecha has a Strength of 10, a Small mecha has a Strength of 8. In addition a Medium mecha has 10 HP and a Small has 5 under the Walking Tanks rule. Medium and Small mecha both have Dexterity 18.

However, both Medium and Small mecha are small enough for their operator to gain significant leverage inside the mecha. Add the operator's Strength bonus (If positive) to the mecha's base Strength.

Superstructure Options
Plastic Superstructure
This mecha uses tough plastics in its framework, reinforced in some sections with carbon-fibre or kevlar weaves. It is lightweight and inexpensive, but also fairly weak. A plastics-based mecha weighs about a third as much as a similarly sized metals or composites mecha. Plastic frames are common on medical support mecha or personal vehicles.
Hardness: 2
PDC Modifier: -12

Open Frame
Open frame mecha designs have no armour or exterior plating. They are truly exoskeletons, with only the essential hydraulics, electronics, and power systems protected by the mecha's hardness. An open frame design adds one extra equipment slot for every slot already on the mecha. These new slots occupy the same body parts as the mecha model's normal equipment slots. Open frames are common on labour mecha or some search-and-rescue mecha.
PDC Modifier: -4

Lift Harness
A lift harness is a series of cables connecting the mecha's shoulder and pelvic girdles to a series of new supports built into the mecha's legs and driveshaft/spine. A lift harness increases the mecha's size category for the purpose of determining maximum load. A mecha with a lift harness built into its frame calculates its lifting capacity as though it were one size category greater than it is. A medium mecha with a base Strength of 10 and a lift harness would have a light load of 50 pounds or less, and a maximum load of 100-150 pounds. The lift harness modification can only be taken once.
PDC Modifier: +4

Lifting Frame
Like a lift harness, the lifting frame modification redistributes the stresses of any load carried by the mecha. A lifting frame thickens the mecha's legs and pelvic girdle and strengthens it's leg interior supports. A mecha with a lifting frame calculates its lifting capacity as though it were a quadruped. The lifting frame modification can only be taken once.
PDC Modifier: +4

Sample PL6 mecha
Personal Mobility Assistant
(Standard stat/Walking Tank stat)
Size: Medium
Superstructure: Plastic, open frame
Armour: None
Armour Penalty: -
Strength Bonus: 0/Str 10
Speed: 30'
Bonus Hit Points: 50/HP 10
Hardness: 2
Bonus to Defence: -
Reach: 5'
Dexterity Penalty: -/Dex 18
Base PDC: 14

Standard equipment package: Operator's cockpit (Torso and back), tank treads* (Replaces all leg slots, increases speed, gives +4 to stability checks), life support system (Helmet), comm system** (No spaces)

Slots remaining: Torso, back, helmet, 2 left arm, 2 right arm. Dexterity and Strength Boosters are common upgrades, as are Integrated AIs (I downgraded that to PL6 for my setting), personal computers, and personal defence weapons (Hey, old folks are paranoid).

* Tank treads on Medium and Small mecha replace all leg slots.
** Not the standard mecha comm system, just a fancy cellphone.

The mecha frame itself only has a PDC of 4, which is appropriate for a plastic wheelchair driven by small electric motors. The life support system is the single most expensive piece of equipment on the mecha, and the final PDC is based on the cost of the oxygen tanks, air filters, water bottles, etc. RAW for determining PDC would say that the mecha PDC should be 15-16, but in a stable society this particular model will probably be highly subsidized.

The Personal Mobility Assistant is intended for very old or very ill people. It provides them with mobility equal to a healthy young adult (Speed 30', Str 10), plus oxygen and air filters to support damaged lungs, and drinking water. The life support system can also be stocked with any medication that needs to be inhaled or drank. The mecha frame is only about 5' tall and weighs less than 40 lbs. The 'helmet' equipment slot consists of air tubes, a filter-mask that can be moved aside easily, speakers and microphone for the phone, and drinking tubes, with a small padded head rest and neck support.
"Leave the wounded and run" is a perfectly viable tactic.

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
Re: More PL6 Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:19:17 AM »
Do you know 'The Blackbox'? It has a lot of weapons and power armours etc... for PL6+.

You can download it on Nix4's website: http://sites.google.com/site/d20futurecampaign/Home/files - scroll down, it's almost at the bottom.
Tema69. 69 marks my affiliation to the ex-youth house on Jagtvej 69 in Copehagen, Denmark, a place where there used to be room for everyone until it was sold.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=997.0
The Self-Proclaimed General Pulp/SteamPunk/Occult/Nazi thread! Drop by.

http://tema69.deviantart.com/
My DeviantArt account. Check by the gallery and drop a comment.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2528.0
Download my "Action Movie Realism" Rules* as well as my WW2 Supplement.
P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
It has the GoO d20 Mecha rules! The last few times I went looking for a download all I found were broken links. I've lost my hardcopy of that book, and really didn't want to have to buy it again. Thanks!

Some of the gear on that site looks interesting. But my gaming group probably won't be able to get together for a long time (We all went out and got wives and fiances. From a gaming point of view that turns out to be a tactical error. From a real-life point of view...  :D), so making my own gear lets me play with the rules. It's not a perfect substitute for actual gaming, but it'll do for now.

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
I can only imagine. I have less than a year before I'm joinin' the army. So I won't be GMing our group for a while. I guess I'll be bringing my laptop and write stuff for later on. ;)
Tema69. 69 marks my affiliation to the ex-youth house on Jagtvej 69 in Copehagen, Denmark, a place where there used to be room for everyone until it was sold.

P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »
WEAPONS

Personal Firearms Proficiency/Sidearms Proficiency
Laser Pistol (Does not appear until late PL6)
Damage: 2d6
Critical: 20
Type: Beam
Range Increment: 120'
Rate of Fire: S
Magazine: 30 powerpack
Weight: 4 lb
Cost: $4200/$900
Restriction: Lic (+1)

Conventional Derringer, 9mm
Damage: 3d6
Type: Ballistic
Range Increment: 20'
Rate of Fire: 1
Magazine: 2 internal
Size: Tiny
Weight: 1 lb
Cost: $270/$3
Restriction: Res (+2)

Conventional Pistol, 9mm
Damage: 3d6
Range Increment: 50'
Rate of Fire: S or A
Magazine: 17 box
Size: Small
Weight: 3 lb
Cost: $4200/$880

Personal Firearms Proficiency/Longarms Proficiency
Laser Carbine
Damage: 2d8
Range Increment: 240'
Magazine: 50 powerpack
Size: Large
Weight: 7 lb
Cost: $10800/$5800

Laser Rifle
Damage: 2d8
Range Increment: 320'
Magazine: 50 internal
Weight: 10 lb
Cost: $12600/$8000
Restriction: Mil +(3)

Conventional Carbine, 10mm
Damage: 3d8
Range Increment: 70'
Magazine: 30 box
Cost: $5400/$1500

Conventional Rifle, 10mm
Damage: 3d8
Range Increment: 120'
Magazine: 50 box
Weight: 13 lb
Cost: $9000/$4000

Exotic Firearms Proficiency/Heavy Firearms Proficiency
Conventional Machine Gun, 12mm
Damage: 3d12
Critical: 19-20
Range Increment: 180'
Rate of Fire: A
Magazine: 200 box, or Linked
Size: Huge
Weight: 21 lb
Cost: $18000/$16500
Restriction: Mil (+3)
Requires a gunner and a loader.

Exotic Firearms Proficiency/Cannons Proficiency
Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) Light Cannon, 20mm
Damage: 6d12
Critical: 19-20
Range Increment: 360'
Rate of Fire: A
Magazine: 1000 box, or Linked
Size: Gargantuan
Weight: 53 lb
Cost: $41000/$29000
Requires a gunner and a loader.
On autofire this weapon either sprays an area 20'x20' or strafes an area 20'x5'. Either option uses 50 shots. A skilled gunner may also direct a burst against a single target. This option uses 10 shots and deals +4d damage, but receives a -4 penalty on the attack roll.

Notes
Laser pistol powerpack: $700
Carbine/rifle powerpack: $1800
Powerpacks can be recharged up to 50 times.

All weapons listed here have two prices. The first higher price represents a new or limited-production weapon. The second lower price represents an old design with lots of knock-offs, spare parts, and conversion kits available on the market. Prices are given in cash values because my campaign uses wealth for lifestyle and buying on credit (Which reduces lifestyle) and cash for everything else. I'll add PDCs later.

Laser Mods
Cone - There are two versions of this mod. Either version costs $x3/PDC+3. The first option disperses the power from a normal shot over a wider area, reducing damage to 2d4 for a pistol or 2d6 for a carbine or rifle. The second option drains more power from the powerpack, using 10 charges for 1 shot but doing full damage. Either option limits the beam to 1 range increment, but at its end the beam attacks an area 6 squares by 5 squares. Everything in those 30 squares must make a Reflex save (DC 20). Failure means they take full damage, success means they take half damage.

Heat - Most laser weapons fire a series of microsecond pulses that superheat and blast away successive layers of the target. A steady-beam laser dumps all of its energy in one intense burst. It does +1d damage, but armour has its DR increased x1.5 against such 'heat-rays'.

Conventional Firearms Mods
Improved Propellants - Charge weapons, electroplasma propellants, and liquid binary propellants. This mod increases the weapon price by x1.5 and doubles the ammo price. It increases the weapon's range increment by x1.5.

Gyrojet or Ramjet - This mod fires tiny rockets or ramjets instead of conventional ammunition. It increases weapon and ammunition cost by x2, increases the range increment by x1.5, and increases the damage by +1d per 3d of base weapon damage. It also increases the restriction level by 1.

Armour-Piercing 1 - Increases ammunition cost x2. Ignores 2 points of hardness or armour DR (+1 to hit armoured targets if using armour as AC). If the weapon is 20mm or higher, AP1 ignores 5 points of hardness or DR (Still +1).

Armour-Piercing 2 - Increases ammunition cost x5. Ignores 5 points of hardness or DR, or 10 points for a 20mm+ weapon (+2 to hit armoured targets using AC rules).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:42:20 PM by Countryborn »

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
ARMOUR

Light Armour Proficiency
Armour: Concealable shirt
Type: Concealable
Damage Reduction: 6
Maximum Dex Bonus: +8
Armour Penalty: 0
Weight: 1 lb
Cost: $6000/$1800
Restriction: -

Armour: Combat dress
Type: Tactical
Damage Reduction: 8
Maximum Dex Bonus: +6
Armour Penalty: -1
Speed: 20'
Cost: $8000/$3200

Armour: Safety suit
Damage Reduction: 5
Maximum Dex Bonus: +8
Weight: 5 lb
Cost: $5000/$1250

(Light Powered Armour Proficiency)
Armour: Light exo-suit
Damage Reduction: 10
Maximum Dex Bonus: +4
Weight: 30 lb
Cost: $18200/$16500
Suit has Str Bonus +5

Medium Armour Proficiency
Armour: Segmented torso plate
Damage Reduction: 13
Armour Penalty: -4
Cost: $13000/$8500

Armour: Hazardous environment worksuit
Damage Reduction: 10
Maximum Dex Bonus: +6
Armour Penalty: -2
Cost: $10000/$5000

(Medium Powered Armour Proficiency)
Armour: Medium exo-suit
Damage Reduction: 14
Armour Penalty: -2
Weight: 45 lb
Cost: $35000/$26400
Suit has Str Bonus +10

Heavy Armour Proficiency
Armour: Full-body segmented plate
Damage Reduction: 18
Maximum Dex Bonus: +2
Armour Penalty: -5
Weight: 20 lb
Cost: $18000/$16000

Armour: Bombshell
Damage Reduction: 23
Maximum Dex Bonus: +0
Armour Penalty: -6
Speed: 15'
Weight: 30 lb
Cost: $26500/$23000

Armour: Heavy spacesuit
Damage Reduction: 18
Maximum Dex Bonus: +2
Armour Penalty: -5
Speed: 15'
Weight: 20 lb
Cost: $19000/$18000
Price includes short-range radio and lifesupport for 24 hours.

(Heavy Powered Armour Proficiency)
Armour: Heavy exo-suit
Damage Reduction: 20
Armour Penalty: -3
Weight: 60 lb
Cost: $68500/$37000
Suit has Str Bonus +15

Notes
In addition to their Str bonus, powered armour also boosts the wearer's size category to Large for the purpose of calculating lifting capacity and maximum load. Also each suit has short-ranged tactical radio with scrambler, air filters and climate control plus total lifesupport for 12 hours. Suit optics extend Spot range increment to 1 mile, suit sonics extend Listen range increment to 1/2 mile. Optics and sonics are passive sensors only.
Speed can be boosted - +$4000 per +10'. Each +10' to speed also gives +2 to jump checks.

If you're using the RAW armour as defence rules, divide DR by 2 to determine suit Equipment Bonus. The non-proficient bonus is 1/2 of the regular bonus, rounded down, -1 for medium or heavy armours.

Armour as DR can be stacked. The maximum Dex bonus is based on the worst of the stacked armours, -1 for each additional light armour piece, -2 for each additional medium armour piece, and -3 for heavy. The armour penalty is equal to the worst ACP of the stacked armours, -1/2 total of each additional piece of armour (Minimum per piece -1).

PL6 standard infantry will probably wear a segmented torso plate over combat dress for DR 21 over the torso and DR 8 over the limbs. The worst maximum Dex bonus of the two pieces is +4 for the segmented torso plate, -1 for an additional piece of light armour, for a total maximum Dex bonus of +3. The worst Armour Check Penalty of the two pieces is -4 for the torso plating, which is reduced again by 1/2 the ACP of the next piece of armour. In this case the combat dress doesn't normally have an ACP, so it's reduced by the minimum per piece of -1. Total ACP -5. The total weight is 20 pounds, the total cost is $19000 if the technology is new or $11700 if PL6 armour has been around for awhile. In either case it costs less than medium powered armour, and only slightly more than light powered armour.

I'm still working on helmets.

Armour Options
Hardened - Hardened armour has x1.5 it's DR against armour-piercing attacks. It increases the cost of the armour by x1.5.

Optimized - Optimized armour has double it's DR against 1 particular damage type: Ballistic, bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, sonic/concussion, fire/plasma, electricity, cold, acid, radiation*, warp*, disruption*, or beam*. It has half DR against all other attacks. This modification is common for work gear. It decreases the cost of the armour by x.75.

*New damage types. I'll explain later.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:14:40 PM by Countryborn »

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
SURVIVAL GEAR

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
MEDICAL EQUIPMENT

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »
COMMUNICATIONS AND SENSORS GEAR

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 03:56:31 PM »
VEHICLES AND ROBOTS

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »
TOOLS AND ROBOTS

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »
PERSONAL AND HOUSEHOLD EQUIPMENT

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »
INTRUSION GEAR

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
MISCELLANEOUS STUFF

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 02:09:10 AM »
Added some weapons and armour today. Tomorrow I'll add some of the powered armour mods.

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 06:33:37 AM »
I love the armour part.

I'm not really into laser weapons and all that, but concerning weapons, Backstabbist and I discussed rules for Gyrojet some time ago. I'll see if I can dig up the rules.

Can't seem to find the rules, but AFAIR, we statted it like this:
Gyrojet Pistol
Base damage: 2d2
For every x feet away, the damage increases by 1 die (2d4, 2d6, 2d8)

Gyrojet Rifle
Base damage: 2d4
For every x feet away, the damage increases by 1 die (2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 2d12)

x : Between 5 and 15 feet, depending on your campaign and game type.

Note: For more fun, you could also include 2d3 and 2d5.

Also, I noticed that your weapons don't have a penetration value. Is that on purpose? Because if you're using AaDR, it's critical to differentiate between the different ammo and weapons - a .45 won't penetrate as well as a 9mm, but it deals more damage.
Our group uses AaDR, Penetration, Recoil, and a lot of other houserules.

Edit:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=746.msg17908#msg17908
Backstabbist's compilation thread. The Gyrojet is listed there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:37:50 AM by Tema69 »

P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!

Countryborn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »
I have penetration rules. Oh boy do I have penetration rules. All over the damn place. My first attempt was almost GURPSian in its complexity. My second attempt was simple but didn't work very well. My third attempt is in two different workbooks and a couple of pieces of scrap paper. When I get everything together I'll post it here and see what you guys think.

For my gyrojet/ramjet rules I assume a hard-launch high-energy propellant. Realistically any personal firearm firing these rounds would have a nasty recoil, but RAW don't have recoil. I'm thinking of adding recoil penalties to the multi-attack rules for firearms.

The lasers... That's another reason I gave all the equipment listed here two prices. Just use the higher cost for new limited-production technologies like lasers, and the lower cost for the conventional firearms. You can ban lasers from your game, but given that we're almost ready to build production-ready laser weapons now I have a hard time justifying a lack of those weapons at full PL6. I have no trouble believing that they'd be more expensive and less effective than well engineered conventional firearms though. Although check out the range increment on the laser 'rifle'...

Before I forget - I wrote up all this gear using the Mecha d20 rules written by (AFAIR) David Pulver for Guardians of Order. Great product.

Tema69

• Bi-Curious George
  • Dedicated WW2 GM.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
For penetration rules, we use a simple Penetration Value which might be positive or negative (e.g. a .45 has Pen -1, but deals one die size more damage than the 9mm with Pen 0 - Intermediate rounds [7.92x33mm, 5.56x45mm, etc...] have Pen 1, rifle rounds have Pen 2, and higher calibre weapons have pen 3+ ... Above that, and it's probably an AntiTank weapon.

I'd love to see your rules.

The lasers sure have a big RI.

Indeed, the d20 Mecha rules are great. Back in that other forum, we had some more rules for it - Weapon Qualities and such. I even wrote rules for creating Personal Armour with the d20 Mecha system (Check Penalty, Weight, MaxDex, etc...). It's not perfect, but it works.

P.E.A.C.H.
* Available as a .pdf!