Author Topic: Our Goal in Min/Max It!  (Read 11952 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Our Goal in Min/Max It!
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »
I will make whatever subforums the public wants.  Do you think it would be good to make a 4e subforum now or wait till it comes out?

I'd also like to see this be the place where we can do the shit we wanted to over yonder but either couldn't because of the Code of Conduct, because wizards.com is ultimately a corporation owned site or because there were so much bureaucracy to cut through it could never happen.

So projects, contests, subforums... whatever we wanted.

I think if we were to do some sort of "CharOp Rules Interpretations", this may be the better place for it.  It's nothing official, so having it on wotc may just confuse people, but it could be linked to as an explanation from here if needed.

We are also very much about all games, and the idea of min/maxing maybe being just a D&D concept is facinating to me and I'd love to explore other games that it fits well with.

Ultimately, my goal is to educate the masses as to the joys and global-ness of min/maxing and move it away from the dirty, nasty word it currently is.  As much as we can have here that showcases excellent min/maxing and proof that it is a good thing, the better for me.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
The contests have gone dormant for too long.  Perhaps we could do a low level multithreat contest?
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »
About 4th edition, I think we should wait until it is released. We don't have material to do anything yet, i Think.

In my experience, reasonable Min/Maxing requires a game system with some intrinsic characteristics that not every system has. Coherent and descriptive rules are one of them. Min/maxing is a thought exercise, an effort made by players to be prepared for every obstacle and be able to overcome them with minimal effort and the highest possible success rate. If the rules aren't solid enough, the result of an action depends primarily on the game director, and most of the possibilities the player could have thought of can be unvalidated. The example is obvious: WoD. I have seen many people trying to max/max (maximize advantages even if that mean maximizing disadvantages, for an extremely focused character) in V:tM, and a simple first level discipline, presence, made them useless in many games, while in other campaigns they were almost unbeatable.

That said, I'm starting to want to try some min/maxing with my old rolemaster books...
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

limes superior

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »
I will make whatever subforums the public wants.  Do you think it would be good to make a 4e subforum now or wait till it comes out?

[...]

So projects, contests, subforums... whatever we wanted.

I think if we were to do some sort of "CharOp Rules Interpretations", this may be the better place for it.  It's nothing official, so having it on wotc may just confuse people, but it could be linked to as an explanation from here if needed.

We are also very much about all games, and the idea of min/maxing maybe being just a D&D concept is facinating to me and I'd love to explore other games that it fits well with.

Hi Meg,

i would love to see some non-D&D min/max-ing here too.
I think its quite save that D&D 3.x and D&D 4.0 will get many attention. So i think something like subforums for 3.x, 4.0 and everything else might work for a start till you see other RPGs that get much attention too.
As 4.0 rules are not min/max-able without rules that subforum is not needed now. For a start we could use non-D&D and D&D 3.x as subforums... (by the way: i love the handbook subsection - i think this will make this board a very good resource)

I am not too sure about "rules interpretations". I like the idea of such a part, but if you want rules interprations for all games too i would suggest to divide this from "Min/Max it!" and add subforus for most used rule sets (possibly D&D) later on.

Greatest Gaming  :D
limsup

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 05:59:02 PM »

I'd like to see a forum for optimization of ANY system, but clearly marked as a systems specific question. I think 4E is going to need a forum eventually but we should hold off on it. We get everyone to look at the system even if we haven't transitioned to 4E yet.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Korwin

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »

Voted:
  • A replacement of WotC CO, with the full SurrealDex and all the handbooks.
  • A mix of the two, with 4e CO and 3.x CO side-by-side. + Star Wars Saga Edition