Author Topic: Rogue/ranger or ranger/rogue, yet another thread  (Read 4189 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Rogue/ranger or ranger/rogue, yet another thread
« on: August 06, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
Let me start by saying that i don't read 4the ed min/max at all, so i'm sorry if there's something like this already, just kindly direct me to it.

I decided to give a try to playing D&D 4th ed a bit so i could know for sure i don't like it, or if it's passable (so far, i determined that if i wanted to do a tabletop version of DOTA, it would be 4th ed)

My party:
Dragonborn fighter
Dragonborn Cleric of Bahamut
Human armored wizard  (can wear chainmail)

here is what i had in mind:

Rogue level 3
Longtooth shifter
Brutish rogue class feature

Feats:
Warrior of the wild (ranger multiclass feat)
The feat that lets me switch one of my rogue at wills for one of the ranger's at will (twin strike)

I would have a variety of weapons on me, but mainly two large heavy blades and several light blades for throwing and other rogue strikes that i will pick up.

The prupose of the build is to eventually use cascade of blades + heavy blade opportunity, two weapon flurry, twin strike to get a lot of ''infinite attacks''

In this instance i need a lot of to hit, but also need to deal a lot of damage.

My stats are the following (we rolled)
Str: 20
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 13

This is including racial bonuses.

My point is to do damage, lots of damage, since the other guys arent too keen on it. 

anyone could help me pimp my build?

Alpha

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Rogue/ranger or ranger/rogue, yet another thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
My party:
Dragonborn fighter
Dragonborn Cleric of Bahamut
Human armored wizard  (can wear chainmail)
I know this isn't relevant to your question, but I have to say it:
You might want to convince the wizard to forgo the chainmail.
AC is now based off Dex OR Int, but only if you're wearing light armor.  A wizard with a strong Int(if he doesn't have that either, you should be questioning whether he should even be a wizard) will be best served by Hide armor at the most(most only go up to leather).  It's been estimated that a staff wizard can even keep up with a full-plate paladin for certain portions of the game.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »
You can't sneak attack with Heavy Blades... :eh

EDIT: And there's no power swap feats for at-will powers,
so no Twin Strike for Rogues.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:55:56 PM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »
....crap

Light blades then....

Is light blade opportunity the same as heavy blade opportunity?

DemonLord57

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
....crap

Light blades then....

Is light blade opportunity the same as heavy blade opportunity?
Err.. there is no such thing as Light Blade Opportunity. Don't worry, you probably won't get too many OAs anyway. (I would guess, anyway)

Instead pick up Nimble Blade, which gives you +1 to hit when you have CA (which should be most of the time anyway.)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »
Another question i have is this:

Rogue with ranger skills, or ranger with rogue multiclass for some sneak attack?

I just read sneak attack and it's once a round, so it's not that good for a lot of attacks... but still good.

I'm confused...

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 04:00:33 AM »
Your best bet IMO is starting with the Rogue and adding Ranger Multiclass elements.  Sneak Attack is once per round, but so is Hunter's Quarry.  Swap out a couple of Rogue powers for high-damage, ranged Ranger powers for the benefit of being able to do something while closing.  Also, get Evade Ambush from Ranger.  If you get surprised, you can use Evade Ambush to make the party un-surprised, roll a higher Initiative, and still manage Combat Advantage against an enemy on the first round.

For weapons, because of your high damage output (Brutal Scoundrel Rogue) you're better off with Daggers early on, although having a Shortsword or even a Rapier for a die upgrade can make your 4[W] and higher powers hit a lot harder in epic play.

If your DM lets you go with a Ranger Paragon Path then it's hard to do better than Stormwarden.  If you want to use a Rogue Paragon Path then pick whatever one, they all have their strengths.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 11:02:27 AM »
The thing is: strenght is better for a ranger then a rogue, i think, and i'm pretty set on the longtooth shifter.

ALso, as a rogue, most of my feats would go towards making me act like a ranger, since i can't really find any rogue power that i like that much.

So i figured, why not go ranger, pick out the rogue sneak attack once per encounter thing, and just go to town with my massive strenght and hunter's quarry.  eventually going infinite attack on them.