Author Topic: D&D&D? (Dial D for Dominaria)  (Read 4968 times)

Deth Muncher

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
D&D&D? (Dial D for Dominaria)
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
Simu-posted at:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86924

So my DM has decided to scrap his current campaign (the one I was making the Dread Necromancer for, for those of you keeping score), and has decided to instead have us make new characters in Dominaria, which is the basic plane of existence for Magic: The Gathering. Our campaign will be set some time during the Brothers' War, after Urza and Mishra have established their kingdoms. The problem is my DM needs all the help he can get for creating the world. Now, we've got a guy who's got an almost disturbing encyclopedic knowledge of everything MTG. Hopefully though, you Brilliant Gameologists might know something more.

These are the things we need help on:

-What races should be allowed?

-What classes should be allowed?

-What sort of alternate features should be allowed?

What we HAVE decided is:

-Humans, dwarves and Half-elves.

-Lowish magic (as in, not really any spellcasting classes.)

-Monks, artificers and warlocks are OK, as well as Enlightened Fist.

I myself plan on playing an Artificer (hopefully an apprentice of Urza), and the guy who's the walking MTG encyclopedia is planning on the MonkX/Sorc3/Enlightened FistX build.

And we had some concerns with clerics and the like. What if some of their spell abilities were to be replaced? I mean, how about instead of having certain spells or whatever, change it up so they get better against Artifacts? We're basically dropping alignment from the game (pretty much, we're all gonna be neutral, and if someone HAS to be a certain alignment, they will), and with that, all those Circle Against X and Smite X spells/abilities are...well, useless. Perhaps for every instance of alignment, we put Artifact? Like, if (for some unknown reason) someone played a Paladin, they would get Smite Construct? Clerics can instead Turn Artifact?

Some possibilities to consider.

Also, are the Ghitu anywhere near Terisiare? Because I would think Dragonfire Adept would be an appropriate class for them.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:17:15 AM by Deth Muncher »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: D&D&D? (Dial D for Dominaria)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:20:19 AM »
1: Dominaria is noted for being the remnants of a meeting place for the multiverse. As such, almost every class and race you can think of should be allowed. The Brother's War saga had massive amounts of crafting, so Artificer would be a nice bit of flavor to have (grab the Eberron Campaign Setting if you don't all ready have it).

2: Low magic? Why the hell are you playing a game based on Magic the Gathering and using a low magic option? That seems contradictory to me. It should be pretty damn common in Dominaria.

About Cleric: They have enough toys as it is. Don't believe me? Dispel Magic, MDJ, and Divine Metamagic would like to eat your face now.

About Alignments: Replace the alignment system with the Colors of Magic. Have Smite Evil be Smite Black, or something similar.

As for geography, I don't think so. Ghitu was mentioned heavily in Mirage IIRC, and Terisiare is where the Ice Age set is based in, so the two would be separate continents at best, entire planes at worst.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Deth Muncher

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:35:30 AM »
1. Yeah, we've got ECS at our fingertips, and I'm playing an Artificer.

2. Low magic because, well, not everyone's a Planeswalker. There is going to be that one island off to the west (whose name escapes me) with a mage academy, but they don't really ever leave there.

Cleric: We aren't QUITE up to getting MDJ quite yet. I'm hoping we're starting at level 10, although we could be a good deal lower.

And we could do the colors as our alignments, but I'm not quite sure how we'd do that. And perhaps we should invent the spells "Protection against Constructs" and "Magic Circle Against Constructs"?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:09:39 AM »
1. Yeah, we've got ECS at our fingertips, and I'm playing an Artificer.

2. Low magic because, well, not everyone's a Planeswalker. There is going to be that one island off to the west (whose name escapes me) with a mage academy, but they don't really ever leave there.

Cleric: We aren't QUITE up to getting MDJ quite yet. I'm hoping we're starting at level 10, although we could be a good deal lower.

And we could do the colors as our alignments, but I'm not quite sure how we'd do that. And perhaps we should invent the spells "Protection against Constructs" and "Magic Circle Against Constructs"?

2: It isn't just the Walkers who can cast spells you know? Everyone is capable of it, but the Walkers are the only ones capable of doing extraordinary feats of nigh-epic magic, stuff that makes most casters shiver in their sleep. Walkers can also shift planes without the use of magic, which is one of the reasons they are so powerful. Further, they are innately immortal, but can be slain by anything sufficiently potent enough to kill a Demon Prince.

Colors as alignments: Black is often called the Evil color, and could very easily be called Neutral Evil outright (it fits them, or at least most of them). White is often associated with protection and healing, and could be considered any Good (usually Lawful). Green is one of the four major Neutralities, as it is a more Druidic color than morale color (though Chaotic is a good fit). Red is usually any Chaotic. Multiclolored characters have different alignments, and someone who is all 5 colors would be true Neutral.

Blue is Lawful. Hands fucking down on that.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Deth Muncher

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
Blue is lawful? Heck no techno! Blue is the crazy, screw with people color. I'd go with White as more lawful and Blue as Chaotic Good, with Red being Chaotic Neutral.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:31:49 AM »
2: Low magic? Why the hell are you playing a game based on Magic the Gathering and using a low magic option? That seems contradictory to me. It should be pretty damn common in Dominaria.
During the brother's war there was no magic (mentioned).

The Ivory Towers was in the process of pioneering studies on magic at the time based of 'books reorganizing them selves during meditation' and the biggest spell used when Ashnod invaded them was the removal of a dragon engine. And the spell caster died afterwards.

The color wheel is not tied to D&D's alignments in any way outside of claiming white is lawful and red is chaotic. Both of which are nothing more than generalizations at that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:36:22 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:50:17 AM »
Blue is lawful? Heck no techno! Blue is the crazy, screw with people color. I'd go with White as more lawful and Blue as Chaotic Good, with Red being Chaotic Neutral.

Blue is about control, knowledge, and serious amounts of both. Reading the books, they are very lawful. Moreso than most White creatures can be.

@ SorO: True, however many people stereotype the colors into certain actions. Black is often considered Evil, and is in fact very much so when you look at what Black stands for in Magic (Selfishness at the expense of others).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:28:06 AM »
@ SorO: True, however many people stereotype the colors into certain actions. Black is often considered Evil, and is in fact very much so when you look at what Black stands for in Magic (Selfishness at the expense of others).
Yeah, but there are dozens of cases within the books that suggest otherwise.

The blue mages in the books are good examples of blue being lawful. Dedication to learning and the scientific method does put it above white's [in general] order. But I suppose that is one of the reasons blue and white get along so well huh ;)

Edit -
Come to think of it, Faerun has magic node rules.
Using a spell point system (SRD) that recovers off nodes could simulate mana drawn from lands.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:30:03 AM by SorO_Lost »
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Deth Muncher

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 03:06:14 AM »

Edit -
Using a spell point system (SRD) that recovers off nodes could simulate mana drawn from lands.

I REALLY like this idea. It might pass spellcasting as a good idea, then.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »

The blue mages in the books are good examples of blue being lawful. Dedication to learning and the scientific method does put it above white's [in general] order. But I suppose that is one of the reasons blue and white get along so well huh ;)

Edit -

Yes, there are a number of exceptions (Toshiro Umezawa from CoK block would be a perfect example due to the way he acted against certain enemies). I'm just saying that, in general, the colors sometimes do represent alignments.

An example of Blue being Chaotic is Ixador from Onslaught block. He went semi-insane, but still persued his goals.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Squirrelloid

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 03:48:14 AM »

Edit -

Yes, there are a number of exceptions (Toshiro Umezawa from CoK block would be a perfect example due to the way he acted against certain enemies). I'm just saying that, in general, the colors sometimes do represent alignments.

An example of Blue being Chaotic is Ixador from Onslaught block. He went semi-insane, but still persued his goals.

Is that chaotic, or is that being so Lawful that you go beyond the threshold of normal human comprehension in your dedication to order?  (Not familiar with Ixador offhand - willing to bet onslaught was after my time playing magic).
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels. -Chip 4:2

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
I want to say lawful but... Lets try to keep an alignment debate on its own thread before we derail this one.

In a way it is too early for Phyrexans but I used the Corrupted template (BoVD) and attached the living construct (sub?)type to monsters for my Phyrexian-like creatures.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 06:22:37 PM »

Edit -

Is that chaotic, or is that being so Lawful that you go beyond the threshold of normal human comprehension in your dedication to order?  (Not familiar with Ixador offhand - willing to bet onslaught was after my time playing magic).

Storyline spoilers involved here.

[spoiler]He went insane after his lover, Akroma, was killed by Phage the Untouchable. I'd say that anything remotely insane qualifies as Chaotic Something, and Ixador was completely unpredictable during the storyline. He was also hell-bent on revenge, and created a new Akroma (the angel version which was in the card game) who's only purpose was to kill Phage (this backfired dramatically though).[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Deth Muncher

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 12:34:43 AM »
I want to say lawful but... Lets try to keep an alignment debate on its own thread before we derail this one.

In a way it is too early for Phyrexans but I used the Corrupted template (BoVD) and attached the living construct (sub?)type to monsters for my Phyrexian-like creatures.

That is an EXCEPTIONALLY good idea.

On a related note:

As an Artificer, which infusions/items do you guys think are MTG-licious?
I was thinking of the Blast Rod, but that actually reminds me more of the Ravnica-block weapon (for those of you who can recall, this is the same vein as the weapon Pivlic uses to shoot while on the Zepplid).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 05:27:54 AM »

That is an EXCEPTIONALLY good idea.

On a related note:

As an Artificer, which infusions/items do you guys think are MTG-licious?
I was thinking of the Blast Rod, but that actually reminds me more of the Ravnica-block weapon (for those of you who can recall, this is the same vein as the weapon Pivlic uses to shoot while on the Zepplid).

Items: Wings of Flying, Boots of Speed, +1 Scimitar. The list goes on a bit.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Deth Muncher

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 06:50:43 PM »
I see what you did there.

But seriously though, that makes a lot of sense, actually, just finding equipment/artifacts and figure out which items they are.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 06:39:32 PM »
You need sliver repellent.

How about a Blessed Scroll of Genocide?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
This thread reminded me of how much I love MtG. I think I might just have to start transfering characters over from MtG to DnD. Although I'm kind of worried about how much Arcanis the Omnipotent will destroy just about everyone.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 04:03:15 AM »
All I can say is, if it's in the Brother's War I want to see some Warforged (various types), Golems, and Effigees running around like crazy.

JaronK

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »
I spent many a month on the old wizards forums (before they were even Gleemax) trying to make this idea. Between a general sense of apathy, a sense of dissent over minor setting and rules details (particularly how to do "drawing a card"), and the 3.5 rules changeover, it very really got off the ground. Ironically, soon afterward the 3.5 Psionic rules were released, which work pretty damn well at solving all the problems with Mana he had had.

My advice is to look at the many different settings and time periods that Magic has as a backdrop for games, but don't worry too much about adapting the card games rules. Those card-based rules are designed for epic-level transformed mages who can jump across dimensions and reshape time and space etc etc. Maybe if you want to make a custom epic destiny for 4E, otherwise the classes you have will do for the most part.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J