Author Topic: Encounters per Session?  (Read 3862 times)

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Encounters per Session?
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:05:40 PM »
Well, obviously it depends on the length of the session.

The DMG says most groups get though one encounter in an hour, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm that now that 4e's been out a while.

I'm going to run the adventure in the back of the DMG for a group that hasn't played 4e.  We'll be hanging out together for a couple of days, but I don't think we'll be filling up that whole time with D&D.  I'm trying to figure out if I should prep some encounters from KotS or one of the Dungeon adventures or if Kobold Hall will be enough.

brislove

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Encounters per Session?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »
i'd say thats fairly accurate. usually an encounter takes 30-45 minutes, and then there is always some chatting ect that goes on between fights, not to mention the looting time, and traps.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:02:11 AM »
The time taken is more or less the same as compared the 3e. Only difference is that there are more rounds, but each round passes more quickly.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Jaerc

• Monkey bussiness
    • Dotradical: A Utah Gaming Community
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:38:23 AM »
I'd agree with 45 minutes, if everyone (including the DM) is on the ball.
Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
Dicefreaks
~
yes, I believe in love,
yes I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not alone,
there are more of us than you suspect,
and we've got bombs,
truth and beauty bombs

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 02:24:42 AM »
It's a fairly accurate description, though my group occasionally takes longer (up to an hour and a half) or shorter (about half an hour) depending on how tough the encounter is.

Depending on group size, this can vary. We play with four guys (one being the DM), so maybe we go through encounters more slowly because we don't have the manpower to mow down the enemies.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Professor Oak can effin' Die
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:36:08 AM »
Sounds right.  The 4e campaign I play in has had 5 encounters so far.  The fast ones took around 30 minutes, while the longest one took around an hour and a half.  (Granted, with many distractions.)
As far as clerics go... he's gonna be the very best, like no one ever was

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:19:17 PM »
there are about 5-6 encounters in an adventure (RPGA). the normal time for an adventure is 4-5 hours. I played one which lasted 8 hours though...
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:24:07 PM »
5 encounters a day in 4E? My party barely even makes it through 2 before we run out of time. It would help if we could stop getting distracted by Tekken/Xbox Live, but even then the combat runs for an hour at the least (the shortest one we've had was a solo Kobold, who went down in 2 turns).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Professor Oak can effin' Die
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »
Resilient little bugger
As far as clerics go... he's gonna be the very best, like no one ever was

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »
In the 5 RPGA games I've ran, there was 2-3 combat encounter with 2-3 skill challenges. So 4-6 encounter (counting skill challenge) is pretty accurate

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:53:58 AM »
I just realized that for a group of well-experienced players who know exactly what their character can do and what their options are in an adventure, the adventure should take 4 hours. In reality this leads to 6 hour sessions.

atanakar

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 10:05:36 AM »
After 6 sessions totaling close to 42 hours I can safely say that encounters in 4E last longer.
I run a group of 5 (experienced) players which is the average according to DMG.
One epic battle lasted 2 hours because 50% of the party keep missing their rolls badly...
Typicaly our 7 hours sessions have 3 encounters mixed in with segments of role-playing.

IMHO this comes from the fact:
  • Each side (PC/Creatures) have 3 actions each per round
  • Monsters have more HPs than before
  • Monsters have special abilities that hinder PCs strategies

I've come to terms with this. I now reduce all encounters by one or two levels/creatures from the guidelines in the DMG.
Combat is fun but one does not want to spend more than 50% of game time on battles ... gets boring.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:07:37 AM by atanakar »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »
Mostly the hp and the reduced damage on the PC side I think, those kinda slow stuff quite a bit. Maybe if you used a larger proportion of minions to regular opponents? Should speed things a good bit.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Jaerc

• Monkey bussiness
    • Dotradical: A Utah Gaming Community
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:46:56 PM »
Honestly, I believe that things should not take as long as some posters have experienced. When you warm up to the system a bit more, you'll likely find that speed of comba encounters increases dramatically.
Where Flavor Meets Mechanics
Dicefreaks
~
yes, I believe in love,
yes I'm a dreamer,
but I'm not alone,
there are more of us than you suspect,
and we've got bombs,
truth and beauty bombs

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 05:43:12 AM »
I've come to terms with this. I now reduce all encounters by one or two levels/creatures from the guidelines in the DMG.
Combat is fun but one does not want to spend more than 50% of game time on battles ... gets boring.
This idea may sound good, but it's honestly somewhat flawed.

1) If you cut XP proportionally, then you're not really making combat shorter, you're just breaking it up into smaller chunks that may or may not make the game easier for the PCs in the long run.

2) If you don't cut XP at all when doing this, then you just plain are making the game easier for the PCs in the long run, and considering the fact that the game really isn't that hard for a decent party to excel at already that's not a good move.

Furthermore, you really can't judge it by the first few encounters.  Above all, it's a new system.  The first few encounters of a new system will be slow because the system is still being learned.  You either have to get your PCs on the ball fighting the fight if they want to have fun playing the game, or, if they're not willing to do that, then either they're having fun already playing the game in an unfocused manner or they're uninterested in the game.  Those may or may not be problems depending on your interpretation.

Also, 4e suffers a little from "shit happens" syndrome.  In my last session playing my wizard, all my d20 rolls are as follows: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 7, 17, 17, 20.  We were fighting dwarves and they were wedged in a doorway, so I was trying to Thunderwave them out of the way so our front-line could charge in and surround them.  Even when I used my Wand Mastery to enhance one of the attacks, I only managed to hit with the power once (on a different attack, not the Wand attack).  With a couple more hits the battle would have gone very differently.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »
Honestly, I believe that things should not take as long as some posters have experienced. When you warm up to the system a bit more, you'll likely find that speed of comba encounters increases dramatically.
From my 10 (RPGA) sessions I've had thus far, I can definitely see the difference between experienced and newby players, and the difference between former 3.5 players and new-to-dnd players. In both cases, familiarity with 4.0 reduces combat time and thus session time significantly.

god I hate thise newbies who are calculating that same +6 to hit every time they make an at will attack  :nonono :fo

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »
The simple way is to get them to write down the precalculated values for each stat based attacks with their main implement, that way they only need to recalculate for exceptions. If you want to be thorough, get their base attack bonus(stat+level+permanent effects) and their armed one(the same + weapon/implement).

It's not like they have more than 2-3 types of ability scores used in their attacks.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
The simple way is to get them to write down the precalculated values for each stat based attacks with their main implement, that way they only need to recalculate for exceptions. If you want to be thorough, get their base attack bonus(stat+level+permanent effects) and their armed one(the same + weapon/implement).

It's not like they have more than 2-3 types of ability scores used in their attacks.
thats why I get annoyed when they dont see the logic in their attacks....

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »
Hence the need to enforce writing down of common bonuses until they know enough not to need holding hands. :)
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]