Author Topic: Warforged caster question  (Read 2416 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Warforged caster question
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:12:15 AM »
I was looking through the Eberron Campaign Setting and I noticed that the book specifically said 'Although living constructs do not need to sleep, a warforged wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.' This is the only reference I could find to warforged being forced to rest. The line does not say 'Warforged prepared casters must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells', or even 'Warforged magic-users must rest for eight hours to regain their spells.'

So, by RAW, Warforged don't necessarily ever need to rest unless they are Wizards. Does this mean that a Warforged Sorcerer only has to spend the 15 minutes dictated in the PHB to regain his spells? Would a Warforged Druid only need to spend an hour to prepare new spells? If so, what about Wild Shape uses? Are those effectively infinite?

While I'm at it, what exactly constitutes 'rest' as the book specifies? Must the warforge lay down and become inert? Is just standing in place sufficient? What about walking? For a creature that is effectively an automaton and one that never tires at that, I wouldn't think that walking would keep it from resting.

My guess is that the writer wanted a warforged caster to sit immobile for eight hours as any other race would, but I don't see any text really supporting that.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Warforged caster question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 04:43:40 AM »
Well one thing to note is that divine casters don't need 8 hours of rest to re-prepare spells at all.  That's probably the big thing you're over looking.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:48:28 AM »
I did not know that. Good to know. My Druid suddenly became more versatile.

But what about Sorcerers and any other arcane casters?

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:53:32 AM »
Point of interest about divine casters: they get to pray for spells once per day, at a time specified at 1st level. I think that this means 'prepare once per day' am I wrong?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 04:56:27 AM »
Chemus, you are right. More can be read here about divine casters.

-0, Other arcane casters must rest just like wizards (8 hours). You can read about it here. Since they have to rest like wizards, and warforged wizards must rest, it follows suit that all arcane casting warforged must rest the requisite 8 hours.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie