Author Topic: Looking for some help, Maximising COncentration checks.  (Read 1808 times)

Harye

• Monkey bussiness
Looking for some help, Maximising COncentration checks.
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »
Basically as the title says, our DM does 4 games a year, 3 months each unless the players have fun, then it's that game till it's boring, and every second week we do our rotation of interesting new ideas (old and rehashed, but hey, we're after fun).

Anyways, the theme this time is an epic game. 21st level, go crazy as you want for power. Make a super strong character and knock on the gates of hell kinda deal is how it was explained. I decided to play a warblade character with a focus on diamond mind, and well, I know my DM. He's going to throw insane monsters at us, heavily buffed to all heck and back.

I want a character that's more than capable. I'm lookin for someone who hits often, if not supremely hard. Initiates, the ones I'm looking at specifically, do that, with a catch. I need to make a Concentration check to hit my enemies...and that's where things go wrong. I need the highest concentration check I can obtain, so I ask for CO's help.

I'm given a follower (level 19), my character cannot be changed anymore than he has been (maybe a feat or two), I need to know what to do and buy to get a huge concentration score, any help would be appreciated guys, thanks.

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
Re: Looking for some help, Maximising COncentration checks.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
So, your character can't be changed much?

Best tell us what you've got already then.  Steady Concentration (Races of Stone), or Psionic Focus (ab)use are the best ways, and custom magic items if allowed.

For the cohort, a level of Marshal with Motivate Constitution would get a nice boost to Concentration.  And there's a few bard spells that will help boost it as well - Marshal . Bard / Sublime Chord would be the obvious way to go.

Otherwise, an Artificer cohort and just craft the main character various items with different bonus types to Concentration.

jha85

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »
Tool, Masterwork +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). 50gp

Harye

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
Hmm, sorry for the slow response here.

The main character can't be changed too much, defeats the purpose of being optimized for hitting if I have more concentration than bab or anything like that. Basically his levels and race stuff is relatively set in place.

Custom magic item bonus types are not permitted except by epic magic spells...

I'll definitely be using 1 level of marshall, as I intended to do. Probably an epic item of +concentration competence bonus is also part of the plan.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:17 PM »
Well, if you want you could buy a ring of +10 Insight/+10 Competance/+10 Sacred bonus to concentration.  Splitting up the bonus types makes it cheaper.

A level of Exemplar would give you +4 to any one skill of your choice and you could always take 10.

JaronK

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »
Take a look at JanusJones' Meditant: it's much easier if you only need to hit Touch ACs.

You could also pay a NPC to develop and cast a permanent +X Conc epic spell on you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:54:49 PM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Harye

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »
Hmm, thanks guys.

I think that I have enough now, thanks to all that helped.