Author Topic: The Druid Handbook  (Read 598823 times)

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: The Druid Handbook
« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2011, 04:39:01 AM »
Dragon wild Shape out of Draconomicon is nice, but only allows for a Small or Medium dragon shape. This seems to be a waste of a feat given a Medium Gold is a wyrmling before becoming large. Largely I was less than impressed with this feat UNLESS it in fact scales with a druids ability to take on larger forms, for example a 15th level Druid's ability to be a huge creature. Could I in fact be a Mature Adult Gold? How about a Very Old Silver? An Ancient White? Lol, just kidding, every one knows White dragons are lame.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2011, 08:54:45 AM »
Dragon wild shape from Draconomicon is indeed limited to small and medium dragons. Size does not scale with level (only HD). This means, dragons suck as melee attackers. However, they shine as mobile defensive spell casting platforms. Read more e.g. here: http://coboard.wikia.com/wiki/Druid#Dragon_Wild_Shape

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »
Another problem that I have with Dragon Wild Shape is that the PH 3.5 clearly says that a Druid can only assume a form she is familiar with, that said, a 12th level druid that has never seen a dragon before ever cannot take the shape. Same goes for Any wild shape. Frozen Wild Shape is awesome, but if you've never fought a Hydra before... The Fleshraker wild shape is awesome, but if you've never seen a Fleshraker before... The Dire Tortoise is awesome, you see where I'm going with this.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
What the fuck is Knowledge (nature) meant for, do you think? As far as regular Wild Shape goes.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2011, 05:54:18 PM »
What the fuck is Knowledge (nature) meant for, do you think? As far as regular Wild Shape goes.
oh, there you go -- trying to bring in logic and reasoning, and wanting to actually use your skill checks .... :nonono
 :P

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »

I've seen Michael Cera movies, but I'm not familiar with Michael Cera. I'm familiar with his acting, I'm familiar with a verb. Essentially a Druid is like an Animorph, they can only take the shape of animals they have seen.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #286 on: March 08, 2011, 08:33:37 PM »
^You may limit yourself to that if you like it, but it surely is not the only concept potential the ability can give you. And really, fluff hardly matters when talking about class potential anyway.

oh, there you go -- trying to bring in logic and reasoning, and wanting to actually use your skill checks .... :nonono

:(
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #287 on: March 08, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
^You may limit yourself to that if you like it, but it surely is not the only concept potential the ability can give you. And really, fluff hardly matters when talking about class potential anyway.

:(

:lol

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #288 on: March 08, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
^
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »

"The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with. For example, a druid who has never been outside a temperate forest could not become a polar bear."~PH3.5 Page 37

I'm not "limiting myself to that if I like it" It's literally how the class works.

Now what we could do is discuss ways to work around this annoying little limitation instead of arguing about the truth of the matter because without such a discussion the entire Wild Shape section of this guide is as if to say "An Epic level Periapt of Wisdom +10 would be great for a level 3 druid, but you're never gonna see one."

SNA 1-9 offer a great selection of animals the druid can use to gain familiarity. But as far as a hydra or a dragon, I dunno.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:29:43 PM by DocWarlock »

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2011, 01:01:44 AM »
What about a druid who went everywhere?

edit: I'm not arguing about Dragon or Frozen Wild Shape here, since technically speaking a Druid doesn't have Knowledge (arcana), but one could get it anyway.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:10:21 AM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2011, 03:31:49 AM »

edit: I'm not arguing about Dragon or Frozen Wild Shape here, since technically speaking a Druid doesn't have Knowledge (arcana), but one could get it anyway.

Alright, since you still wanna fight me on this we're about to get specific. Let's take into account the Savage Tides adventure path that takes place in southern tropical Greyhawk. Nowhere on ANY of the random encounter tables from adventures 1-12 which take players from 1-20th level is there a wolf. A simple wolf. So a player goes from 1-20th level never having seen a fucking wolf without summoning one. Not even a bear. So we have a druid that has never seen a wolf or a bear in the fur. That automatically rules out the possibility of having one of those or their Dire forms as an animal companion or a wild shape form.

Point: An adventure that starts at higher levels could have a druid that has a background story of a "world traveler" but a low level campaign you're out of luck.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2011, 03:56:54 AM »

Alright, since you still wanna fight me on this we're about to get specific. Let's take into account the Savage Tides adventure path that takes place in southern tropical Greyhawk. Nowhere on ANY of the random encounter tables from adventures 1-12 which take players from 1-20th level is there a wolf. A simple wolf. So a player goes from 1-20th level never having seen a fucking wolf without summoning one. Not even a bear. So we have a druid that has never seen a wolf or a bear in the fur. That automatically rules out the possibility of having one of those or their Dire forms as an animal companion or a wild shape form.

Point: An adventure that starts at higher levels could have a druid that has a background story of a "world traveler" but a low level campaign you're out of luck.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonNaturesAllyIII.htm
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2011, 04:42:51 AM »

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonNaturesAllyIII.htm

Are you trying to say that the druid could use that spell to gain familiarity with a bear or wolf? Cause if you are thanks for agreeing with the point I made 4 posts above this one.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Dragon wild Shape out of Draconomicon is nice, but only allows for a Small or Medium dragon shape. This seems to be a waste of a feat given a Medium Gold is a wyrmling before becoming large. Largely I was less than impressed with this feat UNLESS it in fact scales with a druids ability to take on larger forms, for example a 15th level Druid's ability to be a huge creature. Could I in fact be a Mature Adult Gold? How about a Very Old Silver? An Ancient White? Lol, just kidding, every one knows White dragons are lame.

I'm using shadow dragon. A lot. +16 natural armor, energy drain immunity and total concealment almost 24/7. Plus a breath weapon that deals negative levels.

Oceanus dragon is good underwater. Ethereal dragon has an awesome breath weapon and battle dragon has high stats/decent breath weapon.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
You could also use knowledge checks, Doc. The DC to know everything about a creature is relatively low, all things considered.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #296 on: March 09, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
You could also use knowledge checks, Doc. The DC to know everything about a creature is relatively low, all things considered.
right -- this was mentioned already.
I think the point is this: how much of a break with reality are you willing to make.  My knowledge check could be over 9000, but if I had never encountered a creature, if I have literally never had the opportunity to even be made aware of such a creatures existence, then how does it make sense that I would know to take its form?

really though, it's all just a matter of the flavor of game you want ....

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #297 on: March 09, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
right -- this was mentioned already.
I think the point is this: how much of a break with reality are you willing to make.  My knowledge check could be over 9000, but if I had never encountered a creature, if I have literally never had the opportunity to even be made aware of such a creatures existence, then how does it make sense that I would know to take its form?

really though, it's all just a matter of the flavor of game you want ....
I've done intensive study upon the physiology of sea sponges.

I have never been scuba diving.
Planetouched Handbook

DocWarlock

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: March 09, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
^Do I have to quote the PH again?

That goes for you too, buddy.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #299 on: March 09, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
^Do I have to quote the PH again?

That goes for you too, buddy.
I am very familiar with the physiology of the sponge.  Much more familiar than a guy who just goes diving every weekend and say "ooh, look at the pretty sponges"
Planetouched Handbook