Author Topic: The Druid Handbook  (Read 598739 times)

stenver

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: The Druid Handbook
« Reply #200 on: May 19, 2010, 06:15:09 AM »
Thank you all, that helped alot. I, for example, didnt know that poison is tied to your HD. I assume, its the same on every other creature you can morph into, like SWINDLESPITTE RDINOSAUR.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: May 19, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
Save DCs for abilities are either 10+Spell level+Ability Mod or 10+1/2 HD + ability mod

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #202 on: May 19, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »
Is the DC based on the Hitdice of the (unaugmented) animal, or on the Hitdice of the Druid?
I had one DM that argued it would be based on the HD of the base animal(so no scaling with my druid levels).

stenver

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
Logic tells me it scales with druid level.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »
You are a creature with the poison ability which has a DC based on your hit dice. How you come by that ability does not matter.

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2010, 01:28:04 PM »
So these are in the forms of posts that I've copied from elsewhere on the internet. This doesn't mean they lose relevance, just their opinion that I thought was interesting!

Also, I'd like to know if anyone has any advice for a druid in Ptolus where we can use the following books: The Book of Hallowed Might I, The Book of Iron Might, The Book of Roguish Luck and The Complete Book of Eldritch Might as there is a game I will be entering and it only allows core + those books. Since I'm going to be a druid, I might as well ask here.

--

As for small druids, I'm looking at a new campaign where I might play a druid again. But this time as a halfling mounted on a dire weasel with the Mounted Combat and Natural Bond feats. Use spells (like Greater Magic Fang) to boost the attack bonus and have the Weasel gain the Spring Attack feat tree. Then he can close and attach (Ex) and then blood drain (Ex) a round later, relying on Spring Attack to get out of the way if he misses the attack. The druid could then rely on Mounted Combat to try and protect the attached weasel from one attack per round. The druid can also use the weasel for cover! And the dire weasel moves at 40ft.

--

I've created the animal companion for my level 16 druid using 3.5 rules. It's a tiger (12 HD) with the following feats: Alertness, 2x Improved Natural Attack (claw & bite), Power Attack, Multiattack (special due to effective druid level 10). He has the pounce and improved grab ability.

If the tiger charges at an opponent, he could make a full attack (pounce) AND start a grapple including damage dealing? All without provoking an AoO. Need to add Rending feats here as well.

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2010, 12:05:12 AM »
Where does it say that Storm Elementals when summoned deal 12d6 damage and 4d4 nonlethal damage?

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
Where does it say that Storm Elementals when summoned deal 12d6 damage and 4d4 nonlethal damage?

It`s part of their Thunder and Lightning ability and their Shock ability. It`s basically assumed that the first thing you have the elemental do is fire off its Shock as a free action and its Thunder and Lightning as a full-round action. Thus, you can safely assume that summoning a Large Storm Elemental will allow you to deal 4d4 nonlethal, 4d6 sonic, and 8d6 electricity damage to the creatures in those abilities respective ranges, with various saves for half. That isn`t that bad for a 6th level spell from a druid, and it only gets better from there. Huge Storm Elementals are probably the best damage per spell level. Either way, be careful to summon the elemental where it won`t blow up your own party members. The AoE is pretty large and with summoning spells`usually short ranges, you could easily catch yourself in it.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Yves

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2010, 12:20:07 AM »
thx for the quick reply!

anrke

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2010, 04:35:39 AM »
Searching for 'age' isn't easy, so my apologies if this is a question which has been asked before.

Do age modifiers, such as being a venerable Human, also carry over when you're wild shaped to say, a Black Bear?  I've been using the SRD on Alternate Form as reference.  
- The creature gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con) of its new form. It retains the mental ability scores (Int, Wis, Cha) of its original form. Apply any changed physical ability score modifiers in all appropriate areas with one exception: the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.
- Except as described elsewhere, the creature retains all other game statistics of its original form, including (but not necessarily limited to) HD, hit points, skill ranks, feats, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses.

The second part of the first point, about applying changed physical ability score modifiers, is referring to changes you would make after assuming your Wild Shape form (i.e. adjusting melee attack for your new strength.  To me, the second point regarding all other game statistics could refer to age modifiers, except they were already explicitly mentioned in the first point!  The next quandary is, if age modifiers do continue to apply... would you still use the human age modifiers or would you need to use the (presumably non-existent) age modifiers of a Black Bear?

Sigh.

So, would a venerable human druid turning into a black bear would assume the form of a venerable black bear ?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 04:56:17 AM by anrke »

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2010, 02:37:34 PM »
No, the bear would just be a standard version of its kind. Much like you can't Wild Shape into creatures with HD advancements.

Note that this is a good thing, since if you somehow managed to shift into a venerable bear, said bear would have -6 to all its physical stats.
This way, you keep your higher mental scores and replace your (possibly) weak physical ones.
I say possibly since Druids to get Timeless Body.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2010, 05:11:13 AM »
Hey, is there any item that easily facilitates communication between an "always in wild shape" druid and any humanoid companion she might have?  Does the torc of animal speech from Masters of the Wild actually help a druid in animal form to OTHER folk?
BG's other resident furry!

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2010, 06:39:35 AM »
Most Items will fuse with your body and become nonfunctional while you're in Wildshape.
There are ways around this(have someone take the Item and put it on your animal form after shaping, Wilding Clasp, some PrC-abilities).

Better to pick the right race, for example Ghostwise Halflings(Forgotten Realms Subrace) get limited telepathy.

Barring that, somehow gaining telepathy will be your best bet, since most animals lack the ability to produce meaningful speech.
How about getting the rest of your group some Item of 'speak with animals'?
Also you can communicate with any Forest Gnome, provided you shaped into a forest animal :P

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2010, 05:50:52 PM »
Ring of Communication, MIC.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Tornhelm

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »
Is the DC based on the Hitdice of the (unaugmented) animal, or on the Hitdice of the Druid?
I had one DM that argued it would be based on the HD of the base animal(so no scaling with my druid levels).
If Skip's a good enough source for that DM, then its your HD.

Small Viper DC10 poison.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060523a
Mirye (Small Viper Form) DC 13 poison.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
In my spell Compendium, Thunderhead only deals 1 damage per round? You list it as dealing 1d6, which is a bit better IMO.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Healthful Rest from SpC, 24hour buff, Druid 1

Doubles natural healing rate. Not only do you recover 2x the hp while resting for the day, it will also double the healing granted each time you wild shape.

It's been mentioned as a regeneration/fast-healing or potentially a vigor booster, but I've never seen it mentioned in combination with the healing from wild shape.

Each time you use wild shape, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night

Similarly, the feat Faster Healing (CW)

Combine for 4 hp/HD recovered on a Wild Shape

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: October 01, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »
In my spell Compendium, Thunderhead only deals 1 damage per round? You list it as dealing 1d6, which is a bit better IMO.
The original printing was 1d6. The SpC reprint changed it too 1.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
The Animal Companion list has Dire Eagle listed at available at 7th level, but my copy of Races of Stone says it's available at 4th level.  I cannot find any errata on Races of Stone, either.

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »
The Animal Companion list has Dire Eagle listed at available at 7th level, but my copy of Races of Stone says it's available at 4th level.  I cannot find any errata on Races of Stone, either.
Don't you need to be raptoran for that to apply?
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?