Author Topic: The Druid Handbook  (Read 598759 times)

Propaganda

• Monkey bussiness
  • Surprise!
    • Email
Re: The Druid Handbook
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:50 AM »
Dragon wildshape optimization question:

If you (and your DM) buy the argument that spellcasting is ex, it follows that if you wildshape into a young adult Steel Dragon (15 hd), you gain the abilities of a 9th level sorcerer.

1.  Am I understanding this correctly?

2. How might a druid best optimize their choices of up to 4th level wiz/sorcerer spells?

(Apologies if  this is not the right topic for this question.)

I think you should make a new thread in the normal Min/Max forum. You could get all sorts of input.

Ok.  Will follow your suggestion, Suzerain.  Moving the topic there.

(Also:  thanks for the first reply, Solo.)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2010, 10:55:45 PM »
Warrior Poet

Neutral Good Human druid 20 (Rolled Stats, no flaws - traits)

gargantuan Humanoid (Wild Shape: Dire Polar Bear w/enlarge person)

Hit Dice: 20d8+80
Initiative: +2
Speed: 35
Armor Class: 31 Touch: 8 Flat-footed: 29
Base Attack: +15
Attack: (+15 bab +18 strength +1 Enhancement -4 size) Unarmed Strike +30 (6d6+19/x2)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +28/+28/+23/+18 (6d6+19/x2) and Bite+23 (4d8+10/x2) and Claw +23 (2d6+10/x2)
Space/Reach: 20ft/15ft
Special Attacks:Improved Grab
Grapple: (+15 bab +18 strength +12 size +4 Improved Grapple) +49
Saves: +21, +6, +19
Abilities: str 46 (Dire Polar Bear, +5 enhancement, +2 size), dex 14 (Dire Polar Bear, +5 enhancement, -2 size), con 29/16 (Dire Polar Bear/Natural, +6 Enhancement), int 10, wis 24 (+6 levels +5 enhancement), cha 9
Skills: Spellcraft +23, Concentration +32, Knowledge (Nature) +27, Balance +22, Appraise +1, Handle Animal +8, Survival +14, Tumble +2
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike 1st, Improved Toughness Human, Improved Grapple 3rd, Natural Spell 6th, Superior Unarmed Strike9th, Lion's Pounce12th, Snap Kick15th, Stunning Fist18th.
Languages Spoken: Ice Folk, Common, Druidic
Level Adjustment: +0.

Notable Possessions: +1 Wild Chitin Full Plate, +1 Animated Chitin Heavy Shield, Necklace of Natural Attacks (+1 Transmuting Unarmed Strike/Bite/Claw), Belt of Growth

Various Notes:

• I am currently playing this druid and am level 1.
  • I used the same formatting for this as the Hexblade builds provided by DM.
  • My starting stats were str 5, dex 4, con 10, int 10, wis 13, cha 9
  • I played them for no other reason than my group is terrible at optimizing and didn't want to show them up completely.
  • Balance is a class skill due to a regional choice I made in Dragonlance; I had to spend 2 skill points to speak common.  Like most fighters it doesn't matter where you spend your skills although Spellcraft is for epic.
  • Charge + Pounce + Snap Kick: Kick/Punch/Punch/Punch/Bite/Claw; if you hit with the claw start a grapple as a free action.
  • I used these rules for mixing natural and unarmed strikes: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070403a

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:17:35 PM by Jopustopin »

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2010, 05:36:15 AM »
How are you getting +5 enhancement bonus to stats?
Is Improved Natural Attack (Unarmed Strike) a valid choice for a non-monk?

Jopustopin

« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2010, 05:56:58 AM »
1) I didn't bother to look them up; belt of giant strength + wilding clasp etc.  To get odd bonus's look in the DMG it's like bonus ^2 * 1000 gold pieces.

2) Yes.

Phaxi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2010, 06:46:01 AM »
2) Yes.
Improved unarmed strike =/= the monk Unarmed Strike class feature. Non-monk humans dont have any natural weapons. But I guess its up to your DM.
We sit together, the mountain and I, until only the mountain remains.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »
Acutally Improved Unarmed Strike is a Feat, you can look it up in the SRD ;)
IIRC the monk gets the feat automatically, but fighters can choose it as a bonus feat.

Jopustopin

« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:43 PM »
Well I learn something new everyday.  I'll just change the feat.  What is an unarmed strike considered? It seems to be neither manufactured or natural.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Well I learn something new everyday.  I'll just change the feat.  What is an unarmed strike considered? It seems to be neither manufactured or natural.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2010, 02:51:34 AM »
I was under the impression that was a Monk perk only.

Jopustopin

« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
I spent like an hour going around looking at previous arguments from yesteryear.  It appears that the reason unarmed strike do not count as "natural attacks" is because unarmed strikes get iterative attacks and natural attacks do not.  They are also not "manufactured weapons" (unless you're wearing a gauntlet)  Thus Unarmed strike is neither manufactured or natural.  Unless you're a monk then it's both manufactured and natural.  It's slightly ridiculous and probably should have been defined better.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: May 01, 2010, 05:51:46 AM »
As a sidenote, the Half-Orc Druid substitution levels are terrific for a tanking druid.  Increases your HD to a d10 on each of the 3 levels, and gives your AC toughness at 1st level (when it's actually useful).  Plus, a Dragonborn Desert Half-Orc has -2 Dex, +4 Con, -2 Int and some dragonborn stuff like a breath weapon.  All very solid stuff for a druid.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #191 on: May 01, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
As a sidenote, the Half-Orc Druid substitution levels are terrific for a tanking druid.  Increases your HD to a d10 on each of the 3 levels, and gives your AC toughness at 1st level (when it's actually useful).  Plus, a Dragonborn Desert Half-Orc has -2 Dex, +4 Con, -2 Int and some dragonborn stuff like a breath weapon.  All very solid stuff for a druid.

don't for get augment summoning for the low, low price of 1 use of wild shape per day
and my favorite feature -- bully animal (the imagery of that cracks me up every time).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2010, 05:11:11 AM »
I just picture the druid wildshaping into a dire bear and growling until the wolves tuck their tails between their legs, roll over onto their bellies, and try to make him happy.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Class Features and Alternatives
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2010, 11:56:43 PM »

• Timeless Body (Ex): Say goodbye to aging penalties!  If you're starting at this level, feel free to age yourself to venerable for the extra untyped +3 to mental stats.

If you want to age cheese it, without the I've Only Got 5 Years to Live stigma, an Old Killoren might be appropriate. Immortal, and can still pick up the Old Age category mental bonuses.

stenver

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #194 on: May 18, 2010, 06:48:37 PM »
    If level 20 druid wild shapes into a wolf, does the wild form get bonus HD, so it equals druids?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • It can only be attributable to human error.
    « Reply #195 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:53 PM »
    A druid would keep his own HD, HP and BAB which are derived from his druid HD. If you are asking if you turn into an advanced version of the creature I believe the answer is no.

stenver

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #196 on: May 18, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »
    so basically, fleshdraker dinosaur is going to get useless eventually. Since at level 20 there are far better grapplers and higher strenght classes. Am i correct? If i am, then, when is a good time to switch fleshdraker to something more advanced?

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    « Reply #197 on: May 18, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
    so basically, fleshdraker dinosaur is going to get useless eventually. Since at level 20 there are far better grapplers and higher strenght classes. Am i correct? If i am, then, when is a good time to switch fleshdraker to something more advanced?

Whenever your class features give you a larger size category to shift into.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #198 on: May 19, 2010, 02:30:55 AM »

Eventually there might be better animals, but remember that tight spaces inside dungeons and houses are an issue for large/huge wildshape forms.  There just aren't many good medium sized forms, so the fleshraker remains solid pretty much from 5-20.  Anytime you're outdoors, of course, a dire bear or whatever will probably be better though.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #199 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:29 AM »

Remember also that while the save DC for the Fleshraker's poison is based off it's CON, it is also half your Hit Dice.  A 20th level Druid wild shaped into a Fleshraker has more virulent poison than a 8th level druid would.