Author Topic: The Druid Handbook  (Read 598813 times)

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Portrait of a Man in Black holding a Glove
Re: The Druid Handbook
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
I've just found three others so far... Tlalusk (Frostburn), Frost Worm (MM) and Frost Salamander (MM2)

Look at the abilities you get. I already checked those, and they're not very good compared to animals.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2010, 02:51:37 PM »
The Urskan (or Urksan?) is an interesting choice for that.  Bipedal, can easily wear armor and wield weapons, can speak, has hands.  And decent STR and CON as I recall.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
Well, i'm assuming we're using Assume SU, since Cyrohydra is also an option, animal forms cant benefit much from that, but all the forms i mentioned have something at last userful...

Yes, i forgot to mention Frozen Wild Shape... My mistake.

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »
Well, i'm assuming we're using Assume SU...

Then you win D&D. Assume Supernatural Ability completely breaks the game open the moment you get non-animal wild shape forms.

The Urskan (or Urksan?) is an interesting choice for that.  Bipedal, can easily wear armor and wield weapons, can speak, has hands.  And decent STR and CON as I recall.

Urskans weren't as good as some default option. Legendary Ape I think. It's been a while. Remember that con doesn't matter much if you're playing with 3.5 first-wave errata or PHB2 polymorph.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:55 PM »
Hey, A Man in Black, do you happen to have a saved version of the old Druid handbook by you and Paradisio ?

Currently playing in a game that does not use the polymorph eratta (or any eratta for that matter)...

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »
For Summoning Druids, how high do you guys recommend the Sudden Empower feat?

3/day Empower one of you summons, boosting the 1d3 or 1d4+1 from lower level lists.

Granted, it requires another metamagic feat, but it seems useful enough for those who like to summon en masse.

Rapid spell also seem useful, and if I had to pick a Metamagic feat to serve as the prereq that'd be it, reducing the casting time from 1 round to 1 full round.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2010, 01:22:43 AM »
I think Sudden Empower is only 1/day, which considerably drops its usefulness in my opinion.

Rapid Spell I like, though not enough to bump my summons down a level.  But as a rod, or combined with a metamagic reducer (metamagic spell focus (conjuration) is what I tend to end up using), it's a very good feat.  You can offset this with a ring of the beast from CC, however (preparing SNA III with Rapid spell in a 4th level slot, and the ring of the beast makes it SNA IV with rapid spell).

The problem as I see it is that summoning druids are already feat-hungry.  You want/need augment summoning (and probably spell focus (conjuration) to get that), greenbound summoning (if allowed), ashbound summoning (if EBCS is allowed), natural spell, rashemi elemental summoning (if Faerun material is allowed), the summon elemental reserve feat, rapid spell, a metamagic reducer for rapid spell, AND any other good feats like companion spellbound, quicken spell, or dragon wildshape. 

Unless you're human and have a pair of flaws, it's tough to get the feats you want in a timely order as a summoner druid, which makes picking up Rapid Spell something I'd wait a bit on.  Just my 2 cents.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2010, 05:46:42 AM »
I guess thats one of the magic rules of optimization.  Never spend a feat on it if you can spend GP on it.

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2010, 04:40:27 AM »
Hey, A Man in Black, do you happen to have a saved version of the old Druid handbook by you and Paradisio ?

Currently playing in a game that does not use the polymorph eratta (or any eratta for that matter)...

Nah. I had a link to it on the WOTC boards, but that was three or four boards ago and it's long gone. Assuming you're talking about 3.5 polymorph, this guide or the last version on the WOTC boards works just fine; the only real difference for most druids is that you get the con score of forms and that affects HP and saves.

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
Can't Animal Growth affect a druid Pre-polymorph errata?

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2010, 08:27:55 AM »
If a Druid were to cast Aspect of the Wolf, s/he would gain the Animal type.  If s/he were to then Wild Shape into another form, wouldn't s/he retain the Animal type?

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »
If a Druid were to cast Aspect of the Wolf, s/he would gain the Animal type.  If s/he were to then Wild Shape into another form, wouldn't s/he retain the Animal type?

It depends on whether you feel that Wild Shape is a similar effect that overwrites Aspect of the Wolf entirely or piecemeal. There's no definitive right answer.

Nihilus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
Hey guys, i was reading up on being a druid, and i would like to be one who is great at summoning as well as wildshaping.
is this a possible feat?
i was reading that summoning druids are already hard-pressed for feats, so i dont know...
anyone have a good, detailed build for a summoning/wildshaping druid lvl.20 (no multiclass)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
Hey guys, i was reading up on being a druid, and i would like to be one who is great at summoning as well as wildshaping.
is this a possible feat?
i was reading that summoning druids are already hard-pressed for feats, so i dont know...
anyone have a good, detailed build for a summoning/wildshaping druid lvl.20 (no multiclass)
can you narrow down the concept a little?  i.e.:
- setting (this includes type of primary environment)
- which one do you want to focus in more
- general vision of the character

The first page of this thread should have everything you need; but if you can narrow down the concept a little more, I can help narrow the feats for you.
Just make sure to take Natural Spell at 6th level -- that's the only maxim.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Nihilus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
an you narrow down the concept a little?  i.e.:
- setting (this includes type of primary environment)
- which one do you want to focus in more
- general vision of the character

The first page of this thread should have everything you need; but if you can narrow down the concept a little more, I can help narrow the feats for you.
Just make sure to take Natural Spell at 6th level -- that's the only maxim.
[/quote]

well, here's the thing.
this is my first go at d&d. (yes, yes, i know people are sick of explaining things to new people, but we were all at this level once.)
so anyways, we are in an urban setting, but, for instance, we are traveling into an icy environment for a long mission.
So, the environments are pretty non descript.
Could you list down some of the pros/cons of choosing the different types of druids?
I think overall i would like to be able to cast a few buff/heal spells for the party/me, summon some creatures to help us out in battle, and then shape change.
I dont particularly need to be the best at all of these, as it is all of our first goes at this game,
but being as close as possible while accomplishing these things would be stellar.
To be honest, i like having a wide assortment of spells to be able to use.
also, are there any deities that are advised?
i was looking at the intiate of malar thing, what exactly is that?
im not really sure how that works.
Im sorry if i am unintentionally being vague
and thanks for the help in advance

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:12 PM »
Well once you have a basic build outline you should start a thread in the main minmax section. But for now what level will you be starting at? For general feats if you plan on being casting/summoning focused you only really need natural spell as a wild shape feat. Then your action order would be to wildshape first, then cast spells to either ruin your enemies or help your allies.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2010, 12:54:49 AM »
okay, just seeing the term "icy" seals the deal on what I had in mind:
human:
1) spell focus - conjuration
1) augment summoning
3) greenbound summoning
6) natural spell
9) frozen wild shape
12) beckon the frozen
15) dragon wild shape
18) imbued summoning

but that's just my 2 cp.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
okay, just seeing the term "icy" seals the deal on what I had in mind:
human:
1) augment summoning
3) greenbound summoning
6) natural spell
9) frozen wild shape
12) beckon the frozen
15) dragon wild shape
18) imbued summoning

but that's just my 2 cp.

I like this build, here's an alternative take on it:

human:
1) ashbound summoning
3) augment summoning
6) natural spell
9) companion spellbound
12) dragon wild shape
15) Quicken Spell
18) frozen wild shape

Akkristor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »
Has anyone managed to find a good character sheet for a Wild Shape and/or Summoning druid?

So far i've gotten by using DM Genie for my summoned critters, but keeping track of my Wild Shape options is another thing.  I've tried making my own, but it looks like crap and i keep forgetting to add in my Base attack Bonus whenever I attack (though I am loving the Triceratops Shuffle, well, Cave Ankylosaurus shuffle.)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »
Has anyone managed to find a good character sheet for a Wild Shape and/or Summoning druid?

So far i've gotten by using DM Genie for my summoned critters, but keeping track of my Wild Shape options is another thing.  I've tried making my own, but it looks like crap and i keep forgetting to add in my Base attack Bonus whenever I attack (though I am loving the Triceratops Shuffle, well, Cave Ankylosaurus shuffle.)
While I haven't found what you are specifically looking for, here's what my players have done -- index cards:
- one for each summon-able creature, with all the vital stats,
- one for each wild shape form, with all the vital stats (while, yes, this can potentially be a huge stack of cards, you really only need to have 5-6 on hand at any one time).

my 2cp, for what it's worth.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt