Author Topic: Samurai Poll  (Read 95527 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Samurai Poll
« Reply #440 on: October 28, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »
Hmmm, what stands out for me is the shikoro, which is actually the layered plating on the back and sides of a samurai helmet. So that one is probably a media-made blade. I don't recall what they were called, but I do remember tall shields of laminated wood; I wouldn't be surprised if they had leather on them. Jirai/jiraika are mines, but I don't know how far back they go. All I know about gobo is that it's a salad. Poison gas bombs.... I feel like it's so media-laden that it might have, but I don't know for sure...

Actually, the chinese could already use landmines and the like by the 16th century. The Japanese typically scoffed at the use of explosives except as siege weapons up until Nobunaga handed Katsuyori Takeda's ass back to him on a silver platter with a musketeer army 1/5th the size of his own.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: October 28, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
Sweet, so the mines are go! :D

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #442 on: October 28, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
Hmmm, what stands out for me is the shikoro, which is actually the layered plating on the back and sides of a samurai helmet. So that one is probably a media-made blade. I don't recall what they were called, but I do remember tall shields of laminated wood; I wouldn't be surprised if they had leather on them. Jirai/jiraika are mines, but I don't know how far back they go. All I know about gobo is that it's a salad. Poison gas bombs.... I feel like it's so media-laden that it might have, but I don't know for sure...

Actually, the chinese could already use landmines and the like by the 16th century. The Japanese typically scoffed at the use of explosives except as siege weapons up until Nobunaga handed Katsuyori Takeda's ass back to him on a silver platter with a musketeer army 1/5th the size of his own.
Even earlier for the chinese I think, though they didn't go into common use until the stated time period I think.

Those goddamn alchemists found a hell of a lot of ways to blow things/people up while poisoning them in the pursuit of immortality.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2011, 05:39:34 AM »
Either of you heard of Hyakurai?  I keep seeing references to a primitive explosive, or several guns detonated in a barrel to cause noise and sow fear and confusion.

Also what about these :

Arare: 3 dimensional shuriken basically

Bakuchi Ire: bamboo tubes filled with gunpowder.  Basically noise bombs.

Bakurai bishi: Caltrops containing minor explosives (sounds like bull to me)

Hi-kyu: Hollow clay ball filled with gunpowder

Hi-ya-zutsu: Bamboo tube used to shoot fireworks of flaming arrows.

Kame baku: Spiked iron shell filled with gunpowder.

Mitsu te: Pole attached to a chain with several hooks at teh other end.

Nage-gama: Throwing sickle?

Nage-ken: Small throwing sword (wtf?)

Seiryu-to: Sort of like a machete

Sode-teppo: Crude one shot gun made from a bamboo tube.

Suikan: Bladder filled with irritant, poison, or mild acid connected to bamboo blowtube.

Tabi-Yumi: Traveling bow, a collapsible shortbow with very short range.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:51:52 AM by bhu »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #444 on: October 29, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
Not familiar with the Japanese edition, but I've read somewhere the chinese version of the same used barrels of explosives mounted on wheels, which they lit, rolled towards the enemy, and then the barrels would explode and generally throw cavalry into disarray.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."