Author Topic: how to handle level diff in pathfinder?  (Read 2569 times)

Xavier319

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
how to handle level diff in pathfinder?
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:52:06 AM »
I need some help.  I'm running a pathfinder game, and in PF monsters are worth a set amount of XP, just like in AD&D.  what happens if you have a character who suffers level loss, or buys off a level adjustment, or something like that?  without getting slightly more XP, they never catch up to the rest of the party, ever. they always remain a set amount behind.  am i missing something in the PF DMG? please help.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: how to handle level diff in pathfinder?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:30:53 AM »
There are no XP costs in PF. Level loss from resurrection is actually just permanent negative levels and can be healed with Restoration. Item crafting only takes time and money, though its still a lot of time(but explains how the crafter makes a profit regularly I guess).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Xavier319

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:59 AM »
Hmm how would you handle things like.... say buy-off of level adjustments?

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:00:24 AM »
There are no level adjustments in PF. Just don't allow buy-off and there shouldn't be a problem.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
Yeah, ideally, for PF races with LA, you disassemble them to PF LA+0(which is approximately 3.5 LA+0.5 or so), then fill out the remaining abilities with racial classes(for monstrous creatures and templates) or feats(for advanced humanoids like drow, goliaths or raptorans)
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Tangy

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:31:31 AM »
Actually, in the monsters as PCs section of the SRD it basically states that LA buy-off is free and automatic in PF, as you gain an extra level every 3 levels until you catch up on your LA.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 07:22:03 AM »
Its a suggested rule if you HAVE to use LA creatures, and in those cases its usually assumed everyone in the party has about the same LA.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]