Author Topic: The Qualta blade from the show Farscape  (Read 4730 times)

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
The Qualta blade from the show Farscape
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
How would one create this weapon?
http://farscape.wikia.com/wiki/Qualta_Blade
I was thinking a two handed broadsword that took a move action to convert to a rifle that either shot bullets or some low level spell

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: The Qualta blade from the show Farscape
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:32:08 PM »
I'd base it on a swordbow (Magic Item Compendium).  If the setting doesn't normally use rifles, have it function as a crossbow, except it creates bolts of force to fire instead of requiring you to load it.  

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »
Technically you would use a laser rifle (or antimatter rifle) from the DMG with a bayonet but as most DMs frown on 6d8 damage a shot I guess you want a crossbow with a bayonet (Complete Scoundrel) though it acts as a spear rather than a sword for some reason.

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:34 AM »
I've heard of the swordbow, but sadly do not have the MIC. Could you help me out with the stats?

From my understanding it is a morphing weapon that takes a movement action to switch between the melee and ranged modes. I'm thinking of creating a set of crystals that are used as the ammunition; each having a different spell like ability associated with it (scorching ray, magic missile etc) that has a nerfed damage range. I mean OP is fun, but I want it to be considered reasonable as a weapon. Maybe a +5 exotic weapon sword that deals d10-d12 dmg, and the blaster mode deals d6-d8 dmg. The blaster can fire up to six shots before having to recharge (full movement recharge rate). Maybe allow the quick draw feat to increase the rate that you switch between modes, and hte rapid reload feat will be able to increase the rate of recharge.

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:07:49 AM »
each crystal has an infinite amount of charges that it can use. you can switch them out as a full round action if you would like to switch from electrical dmg (chance to stun), fire dmg (turns weapon into a flamethrower!), sonic dmg, or cold dmg ( ? ). I can see them being costly magic items, but i'm not sure what item rates are (it's been a while since I've played 3.5)

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
Alternatively again is using a sword with a wand chamber, have a wand of scorching ray or whatever in it and use it when you need to.

Not that expensive but also not that great past level 5 or so unless you are an artificer.

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
Alternatively again is using a sword with a wand chamber, have a wand of scorching ray or whatever in it and use it when you need to.

Not that expensive but also not that great past level 5 or so unless you are an artificer.

That would be a cheap way to create it, but seems to only be a temporary fix. So far the Sword bow, and the (nerfed version) of the lazer/antimatter beam addon to the sword seems like the most capable of being used throughout a campaign as a signiature weapon. let me check out formatting and i will try to post what I have so far

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
Thoughts? Opinions?

Qualta Blade: "A Qualta Blade was a traditional <Scout> weapon; it was a broadsword approximately three feet and a half long, made of an unknown heavy and durable material. It also had the ability to be converted in to a powerful rifle, more powerful than a <Crossbow>. Perfectly balanced, tipped, and double edged, the blade was about five inches wide, and two inches thick. There was no hilt, but a decorated two-handed grip, with an enlarged pommel to brace against the shoulder in rifle mode.

After transformation the hilt of the blade became the stock and grip, the blade split to become the muzzle alignment, with the energy charge firing chamber between them at the rear of the muzzle. There was no sighting scope or scope attachment. The gunner sighted along the edge of the blade portion. "

Requirements
Exotic Weapon Prof, TWF, BaB +6

Blade: +5 broadsword / D10 dmg / 19-20 x3 Crit

Transformation: Takes a full movement action unless user has the quick draw feat

Rifle: +1 electric energy based rifle / D8 dmg / 19-20 x2 Crit / Chance to stun on Crit
        Power Source: Magically infused stone of electricity / Can shoot 6 rounds before needing to recharge / Recharge takes one full round action unless user has the rapid reload feat

A proficient user of the Qualta Blade can switch it's power stone with another magically infused power source. This action takes 1 full hour

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:50:06 PM by KolyaMollari »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Swordbows change form as a free action.  They come in three type: rapier/shortbow, longsword/longbow, and greatsword/composite longbow (+4 str).  They are statted out as +1 in both forms, costing slightly over 6,000 gp, but specifically allow you to add further enhancements that apply to both forms for the same cost as upgrading two weapons. 

For reasons of balance, you should stick with free action transformation and not have any special requirements to wield it.  Otherwise, it will be clearly inferior to bayonets, elvencraft bows, and swordbows. 

Don't stat it out as a +5 weapon.  Stat it out as a +1 weapon and provide rules for adding further enhancements. 

You shouldn't require any reloading.  People can already fire bows without stopping to reload.  Requiring people to take a feat just to get up to the performance a swordbow has out of the box is just punishing the wielder for no reason. 

Don't have the base damage be energy-based.  People can get energy resistance 30 from a 2nd level spell. 

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
Thanks Maat!!!

KolyaMollari

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »
would this be considered an exotic or martial weapon