Author Topic: Remade skill feats  (Read 1515 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Remade skill feats
« on: October 24, 2011, 01:51:25 AM »
I wanted to make the crappy +2/+2 skill feats and Skill Focus suck less, so here's a crack at it. I'm not sure if some of these are still all that good, but I'm putting this out in hopes of spurring any other ideas you might have. The only thing I have reservations about right now is Skill Focus (Use Magic Device). It basically gives you the best part of a 4th level warlock for a feat. I may need to rethink that one.

What do you think?

Acrobatic [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Jump checks and Tumble checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may treat falls as though they were ten feet shorter per four ranks you have in Jump or Tumble for purposes of taking damage.
   You may add one foot to the horizontal distance of any jump you make per each rank you have in Jump or Tumble (use the higher of the two, not the total). You may add one foot to the vertical distance of any jump you make per four ranks you have in Jump or Tumble (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Agile [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Balance checks and Escape Artist checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   As a swift action, you may gain the benefits of Freedom of Movement until the end of your turn. This is an extraordinary ability. You may use this ability once per day for every four ranks you have in Balance or Escape Artist (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Alertness [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Listen checks and Spot checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
You gain blindsense with a five-foot radius for every two ranks you have in Listen or Spot.
Special: The master of a familiar gains the benefit of the Alertness feat whenever the familiar is within arm’s reach.

Animal Affinity [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Handle Animal checks and Ride checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may speak with animals and magical beasts as if you shared a language. This does not modify the creature’s initial attitude toward you, but friendly and helpful creatures will generally answer questions to the best of their knowledge and intelligence.

Athletic [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Climb checks and Swim checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You gain a climb speed and a swim speed equal to half your base land speed. If you already have a climb or swim speed, that speed increases by ten feet. You may use the run option while swimming.

Deceitful [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Disguise checks and Forgery checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may apply a disguise as a full-round action, providing you have the necessary materials on hand.
   You may forge a simple document as a full-round action and a complex document in 1d4 rounds.

Deft Hands [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Sleight of Hand checks and Use Rope checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may draw weapons as a free action and concealed weapons as a swift action. If you attack someone with a weapon immediately after drawing it, they are denied their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against that attack. This ability only works once per opponent per combat.
   When escaping rope bonds, you may add your ranks in Use Rope as a competence bonus to your Escape Artist check.

Diligent [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Appraise checks and Decipher Script checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   If you study an item for at least a minute, you can determine if it is magical. If it is, you may also learn the properties it as though you cast Identify. This is an extraordinary ability.

Investigator [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Gather Information checks and Search checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   After studying a 10 by 10 foot area for 10 minutes, you gain the benefits of the Stone Tell spell as an extraordinary ability. This ability functions regardless of if the area contains any stones or not and lasts one minute per character level. You may do this once per day for every four ranks you have in Gather Information or Search (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Magical Aptitude [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Spellcraft checks and Use Magic Device checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may use Detect Magic and one other 0-level spell (subject to the DM’s approval) at will as a spell-like ability. Your caster level is equal to your character level for these abilities.

Negotiator [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Diplomacy checks and Sense Motive checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may mimic the effects of Suggestion or Detect Thoughts as an extraordinary ability. The DC for each ability is 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier. You may do this once per day for every four ranks you have in Diplomacy or Sense Motive (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Nimble Fingers [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Disable Device checks and Open Lock checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   You may open a door, portal, chest, or similar item as the Knock spell. You may break an item you touch with both of your hands as the Shatter spell. Both of these abilities are extraordinary abilities and have a caster level equal to your character level. The DC is 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Intelligence modifier. You may use either of these abilities in any combination once per day for every four ranks you have in Disable Device or Open Lock (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Persuasive [General]
Benefit:   You get a +2 bonus on all Bluff checks and Intimidate checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   Magical effects to determine if you are telling the truth do not automatically succeed. The caster must beat your Bluff check with either a Sense Motive check or caster level check for the effect to work.
   You may scare an opponent with effects identical to Cause Fear as a standard action. This ability has no hit die cap and is an extraordinary ability. The DC is 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier. You may do this once per day for every four ranks you have in Bluff or Intimidate (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Self-Sufficient [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Heal checks and Survival checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   As an immediate action, you may heal a number of hit points equal to your ranks in Heal or Survival. You may only heal yourself this way. You may do this once per day for every four ranks you have in Heal or Survival (use the higher of the two, not the total).

Skill Focus [General]
Benefit: Choose a skill. You get a +3 bonus on all checks with that skill and that skill is treated as a class skill for you each level. You may take 10 on checks with that skill, even if you would not normally be allowed to do so.

Stealthy [General]
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Hide checks and Move Silently checks and those skills are considered class skills for you each level.
   As a swift action, you may gain the benefits of the Invisibility or Silent spell for one round. This is an extraordinary ability. You lose the invisibility and silent effect if you make an attack before the end of your round (See the Invisibility spell for details). You may use this ability once per day for each four ranks you have in Hide or Move Silently (use the higher of the two, not the total).

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:54:26 PM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Remade skill feats
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »
Stealthy needs the Y in X per Y. As is, you can only use the ability a few times, ever.

Self-Sufficient needs to be reworded to specify whether the healing is self-only, others-only, or whatever.

All in all, though, I'd say they're fine.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
You may use this ability once per day for every four ranks you have in X or Y.

You should clarify what happens when someone has 4+ ranks in both.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »
Stealthy needs the Y in X per Y. As is, you can only use the ability a few times, ever.
Thanks.

Self-Sufficient needs to be reworded to specify whether the healing is self-only, others-only, or whatever.
Self-only. I'll reword it.

You may use this ability once per day for every four ranks you have in X or Y.

You should clarify what happens when someone has 4+ ranks in both.
The uses don't stack. One, the other, or both.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
Do the uses per day seem right? Should I base it on something other than ranks? The thing I like about using ranks is it give you a reason to keep sinking points into the skill, even if you don't need to actually make a skill check to use the ability (like Freedom of Movement).

...Although I didn't make all of the feats that way, and some of them give you no incentive to keep taking ranks. I'm wondering if I could have handled Athletic differently. Giving a carte blanche climb and swim speed seems to discourage putting in more ranks. It's just, I couldn't think of something else to add. I suppose I could do something like Water Breathing x/day and a full-speed climb speed x/day. I'm not sure which is better. Maybe increased ranks increase your climb speed and swim speed up from half speed to full speed incrementally.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]