Author Topic: Free metamagic build  (Read 3803 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Free metamagic build
« on: October 22, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »
So this is a build I came up with a while back to exploit Midnight Metamagic.  However, I'm not 100% sure that the rules work the way I think they do, so critiques would be EXTREMELY welcome.

There are several alternate versions of the build, depending on what sort of variant rules are available. This one is the simplest.

Azurin Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/X 5 (my favorite is Totemist 2/Soulcaster 1/X2 or Escalation Mage 5)

Feats:
1 Midnight Metamagic, Scribe Scroll or fighter feat or ACF
3 Extend Spell
6 Incarnum Spellshaping
8 Arcane Disciple: Incarnum Domain
9 Improved Essentia Capacity
11 Persistent Spell (incant bonus)
12 free
14 Metamagic Feat (Twin, Quicken, Fortify, etc.)
15 free
17 Metamagic Feat
18 free
bought: Iron Will

So the idea here is to add Persistent Spell to the 8th-level Incarnum Domain spell Incarnum Apotheosis via Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect (which doesn't specify that the spell effect has to come from a spell which is a legal target for your metamagic feat), which then fills every essentia receptacle (feats, class abilities, soulmelds) to max with essentia for its duration.  Then you can use Midnight Metamagic and Improved Metamagic to get 6-10 free levels of metamagic on every spell you cast.

If you finish off with Soulcaster, then (a) you get more soulmelds to fill, and (b) since you could (theoretically) have chosen any of your spells for the soulcaster's arcane investment class feature, you get +1 save DCs on all your spells as well.   At the very least, I would suggest shaping Ankheg Breastplate somehow for the free light armor with no ASF.

The build is somewhat MAD since you need Wis 18 to cast Incarnum Apotheosis... but if you can talk your way into having a domain wizard with the Incarnum Domain spells, that frees up both the Wis dependence and the Arcane Disciple feat, which you can spend on another metamagic feat or something like Extraordinary Concentration.  You argument is helped by the fact that there's no god or religion requirement for the Incarnum domain...

Flaws also frontload the required feats somewhat.

Thoughts??

Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Free metamagic build
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:21:19 AM »
So the idea here is to add Persistent Spell to the 8th-level Incarnum Domain spell Incarnum Apotheosis via Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect (which doesn't specify that the spell effect has to come from a spell which is a legal target for your metamagic feat),
There are no rules saying Megamatic Effect trumps Persist Spell's requirements.
There are rules saying you can't apply Persist Spell to none-personal spells.
Yeah, I'm going with no. Rules vs opinion on lack of words.

Incarnum Apotheosis, your incarnum feats are treated as if the maximum allowable quantity of essentia had been invested in them. Problem is, Midnight Metamagic doesn't have a maximum allowable quantity. No maximum allowable quantity value to increase up to doesn't infinity and beyond, the spell simply cannot preform it's effect much like casting Dominate Person on a nonhumanoid or something.

Pretty sure this doesn't work like that at all. But maybe you can find another way?
Like there was some trick for an infinite (or huge amount) of essentia...
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »
Well, the maximum allowable quantity is set by your character level (4 at level 20, + whatever feats/items increase it).

So the "persistent apotheosis" thing doesn't work... that just means I have to make an item of it. :D 

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:56:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure Midnight metamagic's limit of essentia is your regular limit, tough. To get 6 somewhat free metamagic levels, you'd need improved essentia capacity and another feat that expands it, along with being higher leveled. Now, the problem with this is that by RAW(and probably RAI too), Midnight Metamagic only works once per day, even tough it can be interpreted otherwise. Check with your DM.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
It would be 6 free because of 4 (level) + 1 (improved essentia capacity) + 1 (incantatrix 10).  Or up to 10 because if you use 5 +2 level metamagics each one costs +1 from incantatrix 10, and you get 5 free levels for midnight metamagic.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
Still, upon reading the feat Midnight Metamagic:
"Once per day, you can invest essentia into this feat and choose one or more spells that you know(and have prepared, if you prepare spells) to apply the effect of a metamagic feat you know."

And then, with Incarnum Apotheosis:
"For the duration of this spell, all soulmelds, incarnum feats and other incarnum receptacles of the target are treated as if the maximum quantity of essentia had been invested in them."

So yeah, you'd gain up to 6-10 metamagic levels. On a single spell or divided upon up to 5 spells. Once per day, nonetheless.

Still, if you can get it through your DM, go for it. Else that'd be too much trouble for little benefits. Dip sacred exorcist, grab southern magician and divine metamagic, there's a fair chance you'd get more mileage out of those free metamagic levels.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 03:52:35 PM »
The answer is in Dragonlance.

Use Bind Spirit in Age of Mortals repeatedly on creatures to bind their souls to something semi-valuable, but weightless, like gemstones.  Carry these gemstones around with you in a firmly-secured pouch so you can control the bound spirits.  When they regenerate, eat them with Undead Battery and get whatever infinite metamagic you want that way.